The Student Room Group

How does one go back to speaking their native language with their family ?

Im Pakistani from my dad side, my dad speaks mainly punjabi or urdu, and I can speak both but not as fluently so I want to brush up on my skills. However I was thinking it'll be a bit awkard if I was to start speaking urdu again, the last time I had a conversation with my dad in urdu was when I was 5.

My dad speaks mainly urdu to me and I speak english back to him. My mum speaks english, she knows urdu but she was born here.

So what do you think would be the best way to address this ? Is there much benefit speaking your native language with your family ? Those who are Pakistani would know thats it just nicer to speak urdu with your family.

Scroll to see replies

So you understand Urdu well I'm guessing. When you talk to your dad. Instead of pure English, just start substituting random urdu words.
Start speaking urdu with your dad instead of speaking back to him in english. Overtime and with practise you'll get better at it. I agree, it nice to speak your native language with your family :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Starvation13
So you understand Urdu well I'm guessing. When you talk to your dad. Instead of pure English, just start substituting random urdu words.

I already do that lol. But i would like to speak it fully. My mum might be like why do you want to do that ? Whats the occasion. I just need to address it somehow. My urdu isnt 100% either.
Reply 4
Original post by harmony_x
Start speaking urdu with your dad instead of speaking back to him in english. Overtime and with practise you'll get better at it. I agree, it nice to speak your native language with your family :h:

Im am ok with urdu but not 100%. How would I address it ? Whats your background if you dont mind ? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I already do that lol. But i would like to speak it fully. My mum might be like why do you want to do that ? Whats the occasion. I just need to address it somehow. My urdu isnt 100% either.

Just tell her the equivalent of:

"When dad eventually drags us back to Pakistan to meet his family there, I don't want to sound like a complete tw*t"

And having a 2nd language it cool too, I think you can get a GCSE and A-level for it, you'll need to check with your school's foreign languages department if they can enter you into the exams.
Reply 6
Just tell her the equivalent of:

"When dad eventually drags us back to Pakistan to meet his family there, I don't want to sound like a complete tw*t"

And having a 2nd language it cool too, I think you can get a GCSE and A-level for it, you'll need to check with your school's foreign languages department if they can enter you into the exams.

Lol it may be some time when I go back but who knows. LOL im a long way off A levels ive graduated.
Lol it may be some time when I go back but who knows. LOL im a long way off A levels ive graduated.

Oh I see :lol: . What did you graduate in?
Reply 8
I never even started
Reply 9
Oh I see :lol: . What did you graduate in?

Forensic Science BSC 2.1
Original post by Ekemini
I never even started

Never ? Do you know you native language ?
Im am ok with urdu but not 100%. How would I address it ? Whats your background if you dont mind ? :smile:

I'm sure your parents won't mind and I think your dad will be happy that you want to learn urdu properly. He will help you learn it once you start speaking with him. You just have to put some effort into it.
Forensic Science BSC 2.1

Oooh that's cool! Before I dropped Biology as an A-level. We learnt about Foresics for a bit as part of the A2 course. And tbh that was the most intresting part of it.

Biology in general is boring for me though *yawn*
Never ? Do you know you native language ?

Yep. Ibibio. Its a Nigerian language
Original post by harmony_x
I'm sure your parents won't mind and I think your dad will be happy that you want to learn urdu properly. He will help you learn it once you start speaking with him. You just have to put some effort into it.

True for some reason, I just feel it'll be a bit awkward since I havent spoken it in years. How would I address it ?
Just say you want to practise your Urdu, it won't be weird
True for some reason, I just feel it'll be a bit awkward since I havent spoken it in years. How would I address it ?

You might feel its abit awkward at the start but once you start speaking on an everyday basis you'll become more comfortable with it (hopefully :laugh:). Erm you could just talk to your dad about wanting to learn urdu again and take it form there..
Reply 17
Im Pakistani from my dad side, my dad speaks mainly punjabi or urdu, and I can speak both but not as fluently so I want to brush up on my skills. However I was thinking it'll be a bit awkard if I was to start speaking urdu again, the last time I had a conversation with my dad in urdu was when I was 5.

My dad speaks mainly urdu to me and I speak english back to him. My mum speaks english, she knows urdu but she was born here.

So what do you think would be the best way to address this ? Is there much benefit speaking your native language with your family ? Those who are Pakistani would know thats it just nicer to speak urdu with your family.

watch movies in urdu together... will improve your skills and give you something to quote in urdu and talk about in urdu
Original post by yasaminO_o
Just say you want to practise your Urdu, it won't be weird

They'll say you already know it lol. I speak to a few of my cousins in Pakistan who are girls, I wont be getting married to any of them lol. But my mum may think im wanting to learn urdu to get closer to them lol.

Thats why its would be awkward.
They'll say you already know it lol. I speak to a few of my cousins in Pakistan who are girls, I wont be getting married to any of them lol. But my mum may think im wanting to learn urdu to get closer to them lol.

Thats why its would be awkward.

lmao I see your point, fair enough :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending