The Student Room Group

really stuck please help me with my sociology!

i have an essay question which is 'assess the contribution of Marxist sociologists to our understanding of the role of the education system in society' and I've written about Bowles and Gintis and the correspondence theory but i need to know who criticized the correspondence theory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louise1199
i have an essay question which is 'assess the contribution of Marxist sociologists to our understanding of the role of the education system in society' and I've written about Bowles and Gintis and the correspondence theory but i need to know who criticized the correspondence theory?

Hello

I've just dug out my notes from last year :tongue:

A weakness of Bowles and Gintis is that truancy rates and behavioral issues show that children are not docile and unquestioning. Also these are findings of the American education system so it cannot be applied confidently to the English one :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
Hello

I've just dug out my notes from last year :tongue:

A weakness of Bowles and Gintis is that truancy rates and behavioral issues show that children are not docile and unquestioning. Also these are findings of the American education system so it cannot be applied confidently to the English one :smile:

thank you! for my criticism i've said it is criticized because it shows parallels between school and the workplace, but i don't know who criticized them? and do you know if Paul Wills supports Bowles and Gintis?
thank you! for my criticism i've said it is criticized because it shows parallels between school and the workplace, but i don't know who criticized them? and do you know if Paul Wills supports Bowles and Gintis?

Parallels between school and workplace isn't necessarily a criticism, it's more what they said... Paul Willis could actually be used to criticise I guess because his study showed that working-class pupils can resist attemps to indoctrinate them.
Reply 4
Parallels between school and workplace isn't necessarily a criticism, it's more what they said... Paul Willis could actually be used to criticise I guess because his study showed that working-class pupils can resist attemps to indoctrinate them.

thank you so much haha, i wouldn't want to be writing Paul Wills supported them! i have to re-write the essay because i got grade D but i've being left with confusing feedback and it has to be re-submitted by tomorrow :smile:
thank you so much haha, i wouldn't want to be writing Paul Wills supported them! i have to re-write the essay because i got grade D but i've being left with confusing feedback and it has to be re-submitted by tomorrow :smile:

Good luck! I'll probably be on most of this evening if you need any more help! :h:
Reply 6
Good luck! I'll probably be on most of this evening if you need any more help! :h:

it's not even clear whether i need to completely re-write it or edit what i already have so i'm editing it because it isn't that bad, how are you doing with your A- levels?
it's not even clear whether i need to completely re-write it or edit what i already have so i'm editing it because it isn't that bad, how are you doing with your A- levels?

Is it the structure you're stuck on? That was my weakness last year haha :smile: What's the other topic you're doing?

I'm doing okay I guess, I do Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies. Last year I got ABC respectively (still stunned at Sociology). I've also applied to University so not too bad at all! I did go to my tutor in tears the other day though because I was struggling to keep up with everything... she's amazing and helped me so much though!

What other subjects are you doing, how are you getting on in those? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Is it the structure you're stuck on? That was my weakness last year haha :smile: What's the other topic you're doing?

I'm doing okay I guess, I do Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies. Last year I got ABC respectively (still stunned at Sociology). I've also applied to University so not too bad at all! I did go to my tutor in tears the other day though because I was struggling to keep up with everything... she's amazing and helped me so much though!

What other subjects are you doing, how are you getting on in those? :smile:

i think i just find it more difficult because it's a completely new subject and it's so open, there's loads of things you could put into and essay. I'm doing English literature and business, i'm doing okay in them, just need to try and keep up with coursework in business

which university did you apply for and what are you going to be studying?
i think i just find it more difficult because it's a completely new subject and it's so open, there's loads of things you could put into and essay. I'm doing English literature and business, i'm doing okay in them, just need to try and keep up with coursework in business

which university did you apply for and what are you going to be studying?

Ah right, okay :smile: What's the other topic you're doing in Sociology? I actually really loved Education last year, once I got past that perspective stuff the rest of it was so interesting!

Yeah I've been struggling with coursework in Film, it's so much harder this year!

I've already chosen my firm and insurance :colondollar: because I already knew before I applied which ones would be! Cardiff is my firm for Social Analytics & Politics and Aberystwyth my insurance for International Politics & Intelligence Studies :smile: Although right up until May 8th I wanted to do Psychology!

Any plans for after college? :smile:
Reply 10
Ah right, okay :smile: What's the other topic you're doing in Sociology? I actually really loved Education last year, once I got past that perspective stuff the rest of it was so interesting!

Yeah I've been struggling with coursework in Film, it's so much harder this year!

I've already chosen my firm and insurance :colondollar: because I already knew before I applied which ones would be! Cardiff is my firm for Social Analytics & Politics and Aberystwyth my insurance for International Politics & Intelligence Studies :smile: Although right up until May 8th I wanted to do Psychology!

Any plans for after college? :smile:

i know that i want to go to university, i'm just not sure what i want to do yet. I really love music but don't actually have any practical skills and i was thinking going into the business or journalism side of things. but, i also enjoy sociology which is where my issue is of not knowing what to do
i know that i want to go to university, i'm just not sure what i want to do yet. I really love music but don't actually have any practical skills and i was thinking going into the business or journalism side of things. but, i also enjoy sociology which is where my issue is of not knowing what to do

Don't worry, plenty of people don't make up their minds until the summer and even after that! Sociology would be good to do, you could do a postgrad in Journalism after if that's still what you wanted to do I did apply for Politics & Sociology at Cardiff too (to the delight of my Sociology teacher) but decided against it.
Reply 12
Don't worry, plenty of people don't make up their minds until the summer and even after that! Sociology would be good to do, you could do a postgrad in Journalism after if that's still what you wanted to do I did apply for Politics & Sociology at Cardiff too (to the delight of my Sociology teacher) but decided against it.

My sociology teacher is nice but isn't very accepting of uncompleted homework or bad grades and i really don't like asking for help. It's not very good when she doesn't notice i need help (i'm sure my grade makes that pretty obvious) but i know i should ask so it's just a bad situation all round really
My sociology teacher is nice but isn't very accepting of uncompleted homework or bad grades and i really don't like asking for help. It's not very good when she doesn't notice i need help (i'm sure my grade makes that pretty obvious) but i know i should ask so it's just a bad situation all round really

Ah. I don't like teachers like that at all :frown: My teacher is absolutely lovely if I'm honest :smile: Don't worry, you have TSR to help you! What's the other topic you're doing in Sociology?
Reply 14
Ah. I don't like teachers like that at all :frown: My teacher is absolutely lovely if I'm honest :smile: Don't worry, you have TSR to help you! What's the other topic you're doing in Sociology?

i'm not sure, our teacher does a little bit of everything at random times. We started with the perspectives, then research methods but halfway through research methods we changed to education and then ethnicity and now all we do is write essays and it confuses me. so i don't even know
i'm not sure, our teacher does a little bit of everything at random times. We started with the perspectives, then research methods but halfway through research methods we changed to education and then ethnicity and now all we do is write essays and it confuses me. so i don't even know

That sounds annoying :frown: We did perspectives first, then Families & Households until about January I think then Education, then Research Methods.
Reply 16
That sounds annoying :frown: We did perspectives first, then Families & Households until about January I think then Education, then Research Methods.

that sounds much more organised than my sociology, there's so much to learn and remember too like i don't even know the best way to remember everything.
that sounds much more organised than my sociology, there's so much to learn and remember too like i don't even know the best way to remember everything.

That is EXACTLY how I felt last year! Have you got the textbook? That's amazingly helpful :smile: I ended up doing cue cards with the key words, cue cards with the sociologists' names and what they said, and a mind map for each sub-topic as well as planning every single question in all of the past papers.
Reply 18
That is EXACTLY how I felt last year! Have you got the textbook? That's amazingly helpful :smile: I ended up doing cue cards with the key words, cue cards with the sociologists' names and what they said, and a mind map for each sub-topic as well as planning every single question in all of the past papers.

i haven't got the textbook yet, the government has changed a levels now because now we can only take our exams at the end of the course so i need to be careful that i get the right textbook but i should be getting one soon :smile:
i haven't got the textbook yet, the government has changed a levels now because now we can only take our exams at the end of the course so i need to be careful that i get the right textbook but i should be getting one soon :smile:

Ah right okay :smile: Well when you do get it, it's an absolute gift, use it as much as you can :smile:

How's the essay going? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest