Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS/A level business/business economics :confused: watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl. finkin bout wot im guna take at a-level n im not sure whether to go for business or business economics.
    Any1 here taken these n can giv me any help 2 make up my mind.

Tankyu.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no such subject at A Level as Business Economics...

Its either:

Business Studies or Economics

ReputationRep:
    You can take Business and Economics in one.

ReputationRep:
    eeny meeny miny mo...

ReputationRep:
    There is AS/A2 Nuffield Business Economics - which is offered by edexcel. It is a hybrid of traditional business studies and economics courses, and is taken by about 10,000 students per year (50% just to AS level). it is not a very popular course at the moment - centres are leaving it in droves. I suspect you are better choosing a straight BS or Econ course - but certainly not both

Jim

ReputationRep:
    Ye. iv got the option at my college to take business studies a-level, economics a-level, or business and economics a-level which is 50% business n 50% economics.
    I just wandered wot career prospects go with em, n wot ppl hav got on to do, cos i'm not sure what to take

ReputationRep:
    Economics is the best subject in the world, that's all I'm saying

ReputationRep:
    seriously? why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeds_lad_luke)
    seriously? why?
    Well it's not the same for everyone, but I've really enjoyed my AS course, and I'm planning to do it at uni. I liked business studies at GCSE, but found the aspects that crossed over with economics were the most interesting to me. Have you done business or economics at GCSE? I'd say, for economics it's good to have an interest in current affairs, and not be too daunted by reading the Economist, and some broad sheets. I think it's a very useful subject though, even if you don't want to take it any further than AS, because it teaches you a lot of the basics about how our country works.

ReputationRep:
    cool cheers, am tekin gcse business studies at th moment

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Business at the moment and although its probably my most enjoyable subject I sometimes regret not chosing Economics as I think it would be just as, if not, more interesting and I plan on taking it at uni. As Ellie said you have probably touched on both courses in your GCSE Business(i didn't do it so I'm guessing) and might have an idea which you would enjoy the most. Another small factor to bare in mind is some Unis don't like Business as its not as they veiw it as vocational ( :mad: ) but I think this is only Cambridge, LSE and Bath(to take econ), fortunately I have no desire to apply to any of these so its worked out ok. All in all just go for what you think you'll prefer and you can always change if you hate it straight away.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.