French AS Watch

_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone help me with the grammar and tenses in French? Any easy ways to remember them all??

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Lemauricien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by _Charlotte15)
Can anyone help me with the grammar and tenses in French? Any easy ways to remember them all??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best way is probably to practice consistently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can anyone help me with the grammar and tenses in French? Any easy ways to remember them all??Posted from TSR Mobile
Tenses are much easier than you might think as there are patterns to them - if you learn the pattern and apply it, you won't have to learn reams and reams of stuff.

There are two types of tenses: simple and compound. The simple tenses are:

present
imperfect
future
conditional
subjunctive
past historic (which you don't need for AS)

The compound tenses are the auxiliary verbs avoir or être in the above tenses followed by a past participle, which gives you:

passé composé (present of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
pluperfect (imperfect of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
future perfect (future of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
conditional perfect (conditional of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
perfect subjunctive (subjunctive of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
past anterior (which you don't need for AS - past historic of the auxiliary verb + past participle)

One tense you really need to learn off by heart: the present. The most common verbs are irregular so this is really important. This will help you form the imperfect and the subjunctive. The future tense has lots of irregular roots which need to be learnt but the endings are always regular so you don't need to learn them more than once! The conditional is just the future root followed by the imperfect endings, so that's easy. And then, for the compound tenses, you need to learn the past participles and whether the verbs take avoir or être - most verbs take avoir.

The book I use with my students and which really sets it out clearly, with loads of exercises for practice, is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X . Perhaps a tad pricey but worth every penny, believe me.
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Tenses are much easier than you might think as there are patterns to them - if you learn the pattern and apply it, you won't have to learn reams and reams of stuff.

There are two types of tenses: simple and compound. The simple tenses are:

present
imperfect
future
conditional
subjunctive
past historic (which you don't need for AS)

The compound tenses are the auxiliary verbs avoir or être in the above tenses followed by a past participle, which gives you:

passé composé (present of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
pluperfect (imperfect of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
future perfect (future of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
conditional perfect (conditional of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
perfect subjunctive (subjunctive of the auxiliary verb + past participle)
past anterior (which you don't need for AS - past historic of the auxiliary verb + past participle)

One tense you really need to learn off by heart: the present. The most common verbs are irregular so this is really important. This will help you form the imperfect and the subjunctive. The future tense has lots of irregular roots which need to be learnt but the endings are always regular so you don't need to learn them more than once! The conditional is just the future root followed by the imperfect endings, so that's easy. And then, for the compound tenses, you need to learn the past participles and whether the verbs take avoir or être - most verbs take avoir.

The book I use with my students and which really sets it out clearly, with loads of exercises for practice, is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X . Perhaps a tad pricey but worth every penny, believe me.
Sorry I've only just saw this! THANK YOU!!!!!! Such a huge help, will definitely look into getting the book also. Thanks again!
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry I've only just saw this! THANK YOU!!!!!! Such a huge help, will definitely look into getting the book also. Thanks again!
Glad this helped. Do post again if you have any further questions as grammar is quite easy to de-mystify!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%