Would you vote for the Putin approach to IS or something else?

Watch
Poll: Which decision would make you respect the Prime Minister?
Destroy IS and similar groups worldwide utterly, at any price. (5)
17.24%
Mobilise the European armies for all-out war on the ground and air. (3)
10.34%
Take them out like Putin: airstrikes, drones with no risk to us. (9)
31.03%
Provide money and weapons to those fighting IS. (5)
17.24%
Target British-born terrorists with drone strikes. (4)
13.79%
Sit back and watch the the carnage. (0)
0%
Media blackout. No news is good news. (1)
3.45%
Start peace talks to seek a diplomatic settlement. (0)
0%
Ask Muslims and negotiators to convince IS they are wrong. (1)
3.45%
Stop fighting and give them what they want. (0)
0%
Other. So what do you propose? (1)
3.45%
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let us pretend there is a general election in the New Year. Angela Merkel and President Hollande of France and the European President have called the Prime Minister to say "We've got no idea what to do. You're in charge now. How should Europe respond to IS?" The Prime Minister has to make a decision tomorrow what to do about IS / ISIS / ISIL and has all of Europe's resources available to use.

Which decision of the the following would make you vote for the Prime Minister at the next general election?
  1. Destroy them. Wipe them off the face of the planet once and for all, including Al-Qaeda and all the other affiliated groups. This has gone on long enough.
  2. A strong all-out assault against Islamic State, without regard to the cost. Troops on the ground, tanks, the works. They MUST be stopped! And now!
  3. Airstrikes and drone strikes and targeted assassinations - no point getting our boys killed!
  4. Support the freedom fighters that are fighting against IS with money and weapons.
  5. Carry on as we are with occasional drone strikes against British-born terrorists.
  6. The Middle East has been fighting itself for centuries. They obviously enjoy it. Let them sort themselves out for once, we'll just walk away.
  7. Ban news coverage of the terrorists and starve them of the oxygen of publicity. It is just frightening people unnecessarily.
  8. Open peace talks. Find out what they want and see if a diplomatic settlement can be arranged.
  9. Form a coalition of groups such as the Association of British Muslims and the Muslim Association of Great Britain with experts in international negotiations to contact IS to try to convince them of the error of their ways.
  10. Just stop the fighting. Give them whatever it is they want. They don't want anything off us anyway.
  11. Other. You tell us.
The Prime Minister needs to announce a decision tomorrow.

Which decision do you feel is the right one for a British Prime Minister asked to lead Europe in this situation?

Survey now open.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3&4.

I feel as though you omit a '2.5', though.
Simes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
I feel as though you omit a '2.5', though.
What would 2.5 consist of?
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
What would 2.5 consist of?
given 2 is "A strong all-out assault against Islamic State, without regard to the cost"
and 3 is no ground troops at all

2.5 might conceive of limited number of ground troops (as in with regard to the cost). ergo, a limited assault - not an all-out assault, but also not no ground troops at all.
Simes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
given 2 is "A strong all-out assault against Islamic State, without regard to the cost"
and 3 is no ground troops at all

2.5 might conceive of limited number of ground troops (as in with regard to the cost). ergo, a limited assault - not an all-out assault, but also not no ground troops at all.
You cannot fight a guerilla force with a conventional army. They won't fight fair and they ignore the rules of war. They have no uniform. They disappear into the hills, the sewers and the civilian population. Ask the USA about Vietnam or look at Castro's success in Cuba. Or the resistance movements against the German Nazis. Or the Soviets in Afghanistan. Or us in Afghanistan in the 1800s.

I don't see how option 2.5 can work against Islamic State.
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
I don't see how option 2.5 can work against Islamic State.
That's your subjective opinion, though; one could equally say the same about the other options?
serebro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Simpsons had a good idea.

IBIB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im muslism, we say peace be with you. there is no god but allah, mohammed is his messenger. He was instructed by god to build a house of peace where people will pray, for the purpose of praising allah.

My prophet mohammed, the soul of allah, my heart is engraved with the words of allah
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting that one person has voted for a media blackout (more will probably vote for it later). I've seen it discussed on here before.

So, we have an extremist group which among other things is restricting freedom of information and press freedom in the areas they control. Some people think a good response to that is to... restrict freedom of information and freedom of the press?

ISIS is a news story, and people need to know about it. A media blackout is what a country like North Korea would try to do, not something a liberal democracy should be considering.
Simes
Rep:
?
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
ISIS is a news story, and people need to know about it.
The counter-argument is that they do what they do seeking publicity. By providing that publicity they get more supporters and are better able to achieve their aims. It also causes fear (as seen on threads on here) which greatly increases the effect of their terrorism. It could be argued that instructing the media to not support the terrorists by providing them with free advertising and propagating their message for them is the right thing to do. That is, it might be irresponsible to let the media do the work of ISIS for them.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
The counter-argument is that they do what they do seeking publicity. By providing that publicity they get more supporters and are better able to achieve their aims. It also causes fear (as seen on threads on here) which greatly increases the effect of their terrorism. It could be argued that instructing the media to not support the terrorists by providing them with free advertising and propagating their message for them is the right thing to do. That is, it might be irresponsible to let the media do the work of ISIS for them.
ISIS is a news story and people deserve to be able to find information about them. Pretty simple. Media blackouts are what dictators try to do. Including Syria, in the earlier stages of the uprising.

They will continue to exist publicity or no publicity, because they will always find new ways to get their message across.
Simes
Rep:
?
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
ISIS is a news story and people deserve to be able to find information about them. Pretty simple. Media blackouts are what dictators try to do. Including Syria, in the earlier stages of the uprising.
The Belgian government has told people to stop posting details of the police and army's movements on social media. That is preventing people from working out where the threats are. Is that wrong too?
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I voted:

:yes:
Aj12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely the Putin option should be: say you are bombing the terrorists, whilst instead bombing every one else who is a threat to your puppet dictator that has allowed the terrorists to create their own state?
Simes
Rep:
?
I forgot option 12: Dither about and not make a decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed