The Student Room Group

Tricky integration question

I will be honest, the lecturer went over this in such a weird manner that I have no idea where to even start this question.

An artist decides to fill one of the Fiddler's ferry cooling towers with soup. the tower is 120 m high, its radius at height z is given by

r(z) = sqr root(a^2 +1/4(z - w)^2)

with a = 25 m and w = 90 m

How many litres of soup are needed for this project?

Like I said I don't even know where to start with question so any help is appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RHCPfan
I will be honest, the lecturer went over this in such a weird manner that I have no idea where to even start this question.

An artist decides to fill one of the Fiddler's ferry cooling towers with soup. the tower is 120 m high, its radius at height z is given by

r(z) = sqr root(a^2 +1/4(z - w)^2)

with a = 25 m and w = 90 m

How many litres of soup are needed for this project?

Like I said I don't even know where to start with question so any help is appreciated :smile:

The shape of the tower will be circular in horizontal cross-section, so its volume will be formed by rotating the function r(z) about the z-axis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
The shape of the tower will be circular in horizontal cross-section, so its volume will be formed by rotating the function r(z) about the z-axis.

I'm that clueless at the moment even that doesn't mean a lot. Can you give a but more info? Or even an idea to the technique I can look up to find some notes on :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RHCPfan
I'm that clueless at the moment even that doesn't mean a lot. Can you give a but more info? Or even an idea to the technique I can look up to find some notes on :smile:

what level are you?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
what level are you?

Degree. This is an optional maths module to add up the creds of the degree. So I don't think it's as high as undergrad maths but higher than a level?
Reply 5
Original post by RHCPfan
Degree. This is an optional maths module to add up the creds of the degree. So I don't think it's as high as undergrad maths but higher than a level?

have you done volumes of revolution at A Level?
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
have you done volumes of revolution at A Level?

Ah yes the integral with limits is piy^2 dx. So do I just need to integrate the function and use 25 and 90 as my limits or is it slightly more complex?
Reply 7
Original post by RHCPfan
Ah yes the integral with limits is piy^2 dx. So do I just need to integrate the function and use 25 and 90 as my limits or is it slightly more complex?

I think you need cylindrical coords

it can also be done with A level knowledge if you call z=y and r=x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm

Ah ok :smile: I think I have some notes on that so will try and apply them tomorrow. Thanks for a push in the right direction.
Reply 9
Original post by RHCPfan
Ah ok :smile: I think I have some notes on that so will try and apply them tomorrow. Thanks for a push in the right direction.

look at my edit too.

I will look at it tomorrow too because I have been doing maths today for nearly 16 hours straight and at the moment I do not remember my 2 times table
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
look at my edit too.

I will look at it tomorrow too because I have been doing maths today for nearly 16 hours straight and at the moment I do not remember my 2 times table

Thanks for your help. The lecturer went over it all so weirdly. Ouch 16 hours of maths!I'm surprised you even replied to the thread!!!
Reply 11
Original post by RHCPfan
Thanks for your help. The lecturer went over it all so weirdly. Ouch 16 hours of maths!I'm surprised you even replied to the thread!!!

No worries

(since 8.30 this morning with hardly any breaks)

goodnight
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
No worries

(since 8.30 this morning with hardly any breaks)

goodnight

Sounds brutal! Night :smile:
Original post by TeeEm

Volume of revolution would cover it, I think.

Original post by RHCPfan

Watch out for the "units". Your volume will be in m^3, but they want litres.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Volume of revolution would cover it, I think.

definitely
I suggested CPC as the OP is an undergrad and possibly that is what is expected in that course.

Volume of revolution by suitably relabelling the variables for the sake of familiarity works exactly the same
Hmm, if r(z) is a function, then wouldn't the volume be gotten by integrating the function squared with respect to z, with the limits 0 and 120? Then multiply that by pi and you should get the answer.
Original post by PasserbyA
Hmm, if r(z) is a function, then wouldn't the volume be gotten by integrating the function squared with respect to z, with the limits 0 and 120? Then multiply that by pi and you should get the answer.

That's the volume of revolution method.
That's the volume of revolution method.

Yep, but someone (OP I think) stated up there to use limits of 25 and 90, so I thought I'd chime in to correct that just in case.
Yep, but someone (OP I think) stated up there to use limits of 25 and 90, so I thought I'd chime in to correct that just in case.

Good point - I didn't spot that.
Reply 19

Good point - I didn't spot that.

Thanks for your help guys :smile: Got a good idea how to start it now :smile: Was completely lost beforehand!

Quick Reply

Latest