The Student Room Group

Your challenges in IB? I WANT TO HELP!

Hey guys!

I am Tiffany! I graduated high school in Australia 2 years ago doing the IB (43/45) and I am studying at uni now. I have been doing IB tutoring after I graduated but now I would like to help more students! I am thinking of writing some blog posts about study skills and on my experience and would want some ideas from you!

So these are my questions

1. What do you find the most challenging in IB? Did you manage to cope?
(I know everyone has got 100 problems cos this is IB so you can list as many as you want :tongue:)
E.g. drowning in work, struggling to manage your time well

2. Say now you have a past IB student to give you some advice, who could help solve your biggest challenges in IB, what help would you ask him/her for?
(this is hypothetic and you can say 'I wish there was someone to help me with getting my deadlines/timetable sorted', someone who can motivate me etc )

Thank you and I will really appreciate your response. I will read and reply to every one of them! If you don't have time to answer my questions you can also just ask me any questions about IB/ study skills and I will try my best to help!

Wish you all the best in IB!

Scroll to see replies

Woaah 43 is insane. Psychology HL is a little tough and i have no clue about this TOK essay.. What classes did you take?
Original post by yasminathomure
Woaah 43 is insane. Psychology HL is a little tough and i have no clue about this TOK essay.. What classes did you take?

To do well in T.O.K you must have an interest in wide reading, researching for more information, piecing your thoughts together and sticking to the stand that you have decided on. Look at me. I often post my views and many here disagree with me. They then go on to report me or my posts, I receive warnings in my inbox and eventually I will get banned.

There is no short cut to TOK. Read the news. No no. Not the BBC. The BBC censors almost everything as though to say that everything is fine and well in the UK, when you and I actually know that it is not the case. So read other newspapers and form your opinions and stick to it if you know that what you say has been properly researched and you believe in what you have come to believe. don't let anyone especially forum members here tell you otherwise.
Reply 3
Dammit, and here I was thinking this would be about investment banking. :rofl:
I did EngA Lit SL, ChineseB HL, Maths SL, Chem HL, Bio HL, Geog SL
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Blur Ella
To do well in T.O.K you must have an interest in wide reading, researching for more information, piecing your thoughts together and sticking to the stand that you have decided on. Look at me. I often post my views and many here disagree with me. They then go on to report me or my posts, I receive warnings in my inbox and eventually I will get banned.

There is no short cut to TOK. Read the news. No no. Not the BBC. The BBC censors almost everything as though to say that everything is fine and well in the UK, when you and I actually know that it is not the case. So read other newspapers and form your opinions and stick to it if you know that what you say has been properly researched and you believe in what you have come to believe. don't let anyone especially forum members here tell you otherwise.

*sigh* No, the BBC does nothing of the kind. I am a child of one of their employees and believe me, if they were efficient enough to censor anything as completely and ludicrously as you think they do, they would be in much better shape than they are.
Hi Tiffany...My name is Arun, we are indian and now residing in Oman. I am planning to send my son for IB diploma in a good school abroad. We have looked at few options in Canada, UK, and Singapore also. Some of them are very good and the school fees are really so high. the one we saw in Canada is St.Micheal university school in British Columbia which is ranked very high. Singapore we saw Dover campus and this is also one of the best school i think. Both are highly expensive.
However we saw few schools in UK which is affordable. I am really confused now. Our intention is to find a good school which will help him to get admission in one of the top university after his IB. He is interested in IT field and he is good in maths.
Pls suggest some good schools with international boarding students and not too highly priced.
looking forward to hearing from you,
Arun kumar.
Original post by unnithan2255
Hi Tiffany...My name is Arun, we are indian and now residing in Oman. I am planning to send my son for IB diploma in a good school abroad. We have looked at few options in Canada, UK, and Singapore also. Some of them are very good and the school fees are really so high. the one we saw in Canada is St.Micheal university school in British Columbia which is ranked very high. Singapore we saw Dover campus and this is also one of the best school i think. Both are highly expensive.
However we saw few schools in UK which is affordable. I am really confused now. Our intention is to find a good school which will help him to get admission in one of the top university after his IB. He is interested in IT field and he is good in maths.
Pls suggest some good schools with international boarding students and not too highly priced.
Arun kumar.

Hi Arun, unfortunately I don't know much about IB schools in these countries. I studied at an all girls school in Australia. I will suggest googling people's views of the schools, going to the schools' websites and look up the students' results (if they are not available, you can send an email to the school and ask about it). If you want to know more about the school experience of the students, you can email the school and they might give you an email address of a student for you to contact. That's what I did when I was looking for a high school in Australia and the schools got back to me! I also went to Adelaide and Melbourne to have a look at the schools and I will definitely suggest you have do a trip to one of the countries and have a look at the actual school.
Original post by yasminathomure

Sorry for getting back to you so late! I am currently writing a post about how to approach the TOK essay! Will let you know when I finish the post!!
Reply 9
hey i just started the IB and am finding it very stressing and time consuming when studying, i keep on having mental breakdowns and would like to get some tips on managing time and stress levels.pls help.:redface:
Original post by Eman5000
hey i just started the IB and am finding it very stressing and time consuming when studying, i keep on having mental breakdowns and would like to get some tips on managing time and stress levels.pls help.:redface:

Hey I am currently writing a post about time management on assignments and I am nearly finished!! If people are interested I will write more posts on time management on exams and procrastination etc. Will let you know as soon as I finish!
Original post by unnithan2255
Arun kumar.

I went to a Grammar school in England to do the IB.

I think there are no school fees in the UK for Public schools, but I don't know about boarding schools. I think no matter where you look,they will be expensive.

If you go on ibo.org there's a search function where you can look for schools that do the IB. You can filter by country. Maybe go through the list and google them to see which ones are actually boarding schools.
Original post by Eman5000

Hi, Eman I have just posted a new thread called 'IB workload?? Tips on time management I wish I knew about!'. Check it out and let me know if it's useful :smile:
Original post by tiffanypangyan
Hey guys!

I am Tiffany! I graduated high school in Australia 2 years ago doing the IB (43/45) and I am studying at uni now. I have been doing IB tutoring after I graduated but now I would like to help more students! I am thinking of writing some blog posts about study skills and on my experience and would want some ideas from you!

(I know everyone has got 100 problems cos this is IB so you can list as many as you want :tongue:)

2. Say now you have a past IB student to give you some advice, who could help solve your biggest challenges in IB, what help would you ask him/her for?
(this is hypothetic and you can say 'I wish there was someone to help me with getting my deadlines/timetable sorted', someone who can motivate me etc )

Thank you and I will really appreciate your response. I will read and reply to every one of them! If you don't have time to answer my questions you can also just ask me any questions about IB/ study skills and I will try my best to help!

Hi, Tiffany
I am year 2 IB students, I am currently drowning with deadlines as I have so many due the next couple of weeks. I am having trouble with my math internal assessment as I am aiming for a 20/20. As of know I have chosen to study the effects of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee vs typing speed (words completed in a minute) vs errors. It is mostly statistics but im not sure how can I approach this in order to get a high grade.
Reply 14
Hi Tiffany,

I joined IB and I find it very stressing to catch up with Geography HL.
Any tips on how to study geo? Any helpful sites, etc...
Should I be memorizing stuff from the book or.,..?
Pls help me!! It's really important because it's my HL subject.
Hey guys!

I find it really hard to deal with all of the lesser scrubs that do A-Levels and B-Techs... UUGH it gives me a shudder every time i have to partake in an exchange with one.
Is there a way of getting used to less important people? Or is it easier to segregate society?
I also find it difficult to maintain the vast quantities of knowledge and wisdom that i possess as a greater, sentient being.
Which subject combination did you take?? :smile:

Edit: Just seen you've already posted that. Any tips for English A SL?
(edited 8 years ago)
I did EngA SL, ChineseB HL, Maths SL, Chem HL, Bio HL, Geog SL

My mocks are very soon so i was just wondering how you studied for your exams (like did you make notes from the books or memorise stuff?) particularly for Bio and Chem HL as i am also doing those!
I did EngA SL, ChineseB HL, Maths SL, Chem HL, Bio HL, Geog SL

Woahh THANK YOU ^_^ for starting this thread!! 43 is amazing! I hope I can achieve this grade too :O. Anyway I take all the same subjects as you except the only difference is I take economics SL and EngLitA SL. Can you please give me some study tips/time management and how to make notes/stay on top of work? I'm a huge procrastinator and it is hard to stay on top of revision and work >.< I AM SO WORRIED FOR MY CHEM AND BIO IAs and my EE/TOK even though I haven't started them yet? :3
Original post by katerina.drakos
My mocks are very soon so i was just wondering how you studied for your exams (like did you make notes from the books or memorise stuff?) particularly for Bio and Chem HL as i am also doing those!

Yes, I would love to know how you revised for your exams as well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest