Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is something i totally overlooked when i got my student account last year and this may sound daft but see what debit card the banks give out for the student aco*****... some of them are crap and don't work online or abroad. One of my mates ones is total rubbish and she has to put everything on a credit card if she wants to spend online (which also gives her the temptation to spend money she doesn't have). whereas if you can get a visa debit card its accepted everywhere

ReputationRep:
    I got a problem..im english, but havent lived in england (no this is not the problem!) the problem is that for the student accounts, it seems that u need to have lived in the UK for the last 3 years...argh!

anyone know what student account i can actually have? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    how come nationwide is not mentioned here? someone told me that they had a flexi account which is the best student account to get. anyone know if this is true? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    just checked out nationwide..seems like they dont realyl have a proper "Student Account", but rather a "Under 19s" account, where the benefits arent comparable to the restof the banks really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugal)
    just checked out nationwide..seems like they dont realyl have a proper "Student Account", but rather a "Under 19s" account, where the benefits arent comparable to the restof the banks really..
    oh right, that's good then, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Just like to say Ive got an account with HSBC and its great!

You also get the railcard for 5 years, although you need to send off 4 it. Infact natwest has just copied HSBC! My friend is with Natwest and I would really consider going with HSBC.

One of the things u may have picked up on is that HSBC 'is the worlds local bank'. For this reason you can find branches nearly everywhere! Lots of english banks dont have this.

However, if u want a larger overdraft then go to Natwest.
    HSBC has been praised as the best student bank by some sort of ranking. But its personal preference!

HSBC and Natwest certainly have the best student accounts!

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if anyones said this but try to go with a bank which has a branch on campus or close to your uni. Even with online banking (which is a godsend - make sure you have it) you still need to pop into the branch occasionly.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be praising HSBC and NATWEST. what about barclays? i know it doesn't offer the railcard. how good is it for international students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    One of the things u may have picked up on is that HSBC 'is the worlds local bank'. For this reason you can find branches nearly everywhere! Lots of english banks dont have this.

However, if u want a larger overdraft then go to Natwest.
    I was thinking of switching from NatWest to HSBC because HSBC's more international, but like you said, some of the NatWest student terms are better...I'll probably change to HSBC later in life.

ReputationRep:
    from the leaflets etc about the student accounts at hsbc and natwest, it seems that if u already have an existing account at that bank then they wil cancel that one n transfer to the student one? is that right? can u not keep the original account as well as the new student one if its the same bank? was just wandering cus i want to apply for the natwest student acct but wanna keep my old acct there cus it has high interest hehe. any of that make sense to u?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know if they give you a railcard in the bank (HSBC/Natwest) as soon as you open the account in store? Its just my railcard ran out in June and I'm going away at the weekend and wondered if they would give me one straight away (*trying to save himself £20*)...?

Ive just finished first year at uni so have NUS card to prove im a student and everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    Hi, does anyone know if they give you a railcard in the bank (HSBC/Natwest) as soon as you open the account in store? Its just my railcard ran out in June and I'm going away at the weekend and wondered if they would give me one straight away (*trying to save himself £20*)...?

Ive just finished first year at uni so have NUS card to prove im a student and everything...
    I think that most banks only make the freebies available to first years, otherwise you would get people opening a new bank account every year. I know this is the case with natwest but im not sure about HSBC. You can still open a student account with them and get the interesr free overdraft and things - just not the freebies.

ReputationRep:
    apologies if this has already been written somewhere - but i cant really be arsed to go look

the barclays account gives you a 3-year national express card and some discounts at all:sports and Dell

i'm definitely going with HSBC now, cause i used national express recently and it was well and truly crap! i'll stick with the railcard..

ReputationRep:
    natwest are really focusing on the students nowadays, before they were focused on loans and savings but recently they have realised the students are the future. eg introduction of the free 5yr railcard.

i worked at natwest last year and students were not regarded as top priority but now its all they talk about. they treat students like royalty nowadays(not saying they treated them like sh*t before)

i'm not telling anyone to join natwest because i'm employed with them but you will be happy you chose them. they are also increasing the overdraft(interest free) they offer to students and then theres the free 5 year railcard offer aswell.

so just get a letter from your uni confirming your place and course, a passport or driving license and head to your nearest natwest! (lol now i'm trying to sell)

P.S: every account has a IBAN (international bank account number) so if you want funds transferred from somewhere you can get the IBAN from natwest.
    I dont know why they dont just put it on the statements like HSBC, then they would look like a international bank aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if it's been asked before dudes, but can you open more than one student account...for instance, one at natwest and one at hsbc?

ReputationRep:
    Can you have more than one student account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Can you have more than one student account?
    yes you can, but i dont think it is legal.

ReputationRep:
    Can you only use the overdraft facility from Natwest when your university course starts or are you able to use it as soon as your student bank account is open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky Chic)
    Can you only use the overdraft facility from Natwest when your university course starts or are you able to use it as soon as your student bank account is open
    they won't set up the overdraft for you until after results but i think after results you could use it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    yes you can, but i dont think it is legal.
    So you can't...? :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.