Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danm)
    anyone here with halifax for their uni account? im not flashes by the railcard offer, halifax has an appealing safetynet of up to a £2000 interest free overdraft after 4 years. handy, just hope i wont need it!

HSBC has this too! Not really sure on Halifax as a student account provider.

ReputationRep:
    Is the Railcard offer only for people opening a Natwest account? I'm already a member and will be upgrading to a student account, so will I still be eligible?

Also, do you have to apply online for the Railcard?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I realise this will only affect a minority of people (and probably a very small minority at that) but watch out if you're under 18! I wanted the student railcard last year and only HSBC seemed to offer it - but they wouldn't give it to me as I wasn't going to 18 until January. They reckoned it was in some way related to the overdraft, which they couldn't give me either (fair enough about the overdraft but there was no real reason as far as I could tell that I shouldn't have been given the railcard). I went with NatWest instead and they were very helpful - they gave me £55 instead of the railcard but had no problems at all about setting everything up. And I've just successfully set up my overdraft with them too!
    Just a warning incase anyone else gets caught out too!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone

ive already got a 'pre-student' HSBC account (apparently my railcard is in the post). now ive got my results do i just go to HSBC with the UCAS slip confirming my place, to confirm the account?

danke

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Does anybody know what debit cards are offered with the student accounts of each bank? If you could post it up it'd be very useful.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey everyone,

Does anybody know what debit cards are offered with the student accounts of each bank? If you could post it up it'd be very useful.

Thanks!
    Halifax = Visa Debit Card
    Its good, accepted everywhere, and I do mean everywhere!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we recieve the railcards from hsbc? I only sent off for mine 1 day before the deadline so i really hope they recieved it before the deadline!! I want to use it to get to uni in september but cant book tickets til i've got the rail card :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    Is the Railcard offer only for people opening a Natwest account? I'm already a member and will be upgrading to a student account, so will I still be eligible?

yeh you will still be eligible.
    just pop into a branch, get the telephone number give em your details and they send you the card!!

edit: or you can do it online www.natweststudents.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)

Yep. I upgraded my account, exactly the same as what you will do. I got the form for a free Rail Card, which I have returned and eagerly await!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll get that sorted out later today

ReputationRep:
    I filled out the application form for the student account in natwest about a week ago and they said they'd get back to me in a week. What exactly is supposed to happen? Will I get the railcard straight in the post?

ReputationRep:
    i've just opened a natwest student accpunt so i can tell you what happens at the start. once you've filled out the application form then you wait for a form through the post that you complete to get your railcard. it also asks for your ucas number at this point (i hadn't been asked for it up until then? but maybe thats normal) i sent off the form this morning and will let you know what happens next as it happens!! hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been given their interest free overdraft from natwest yet? Becuase i went in to arrange mine and they said they couldn't do it until next week... :confused:
    I want it now!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    Has anyone been given their interest free overdraft from natwest yet? Becuase i went in to arrange mine and they said they couldn't do it until next week... :confused:
    I want it now!!!!!!!!!!
    i got mine straight away
    lol just wait its only a while away now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i got mine straight away
    lol just wait its only a while away now!
    that's not fair....stupid natwest
    when i set up my account they said they couldn't do it until after results which i thought was fair enough, ....

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, after reading this thread, I'm even more confused! I'm currently with Halifax and have a student account with them (I think). I got a Solo card with them and opened it before I started my A-Levels at college. I have been using it in my A2s for my EMA. It's going to expire in April next year.

Anyways, my mum has been going on about how I should open a second account 'to be safe'. I would like to go with HSBC but I'm not sure whether their Railcard offer still stands so I'm going to have to check on enrolment day. I may go with Natwest instead though.

However, do I have to close my Halifax account or something before I can open an account with either of the 2 above? It's just that I have been reading some posts here about how you can only have one account. I have a few friends who have at least 2 student accounts with Solo cards. So is it possible?

EDIT: ok, I think my account with Halifax is a Cardcash one but I checked about this on the Halifax site and it says you should get an Electron card while I have a Solo card! Are the student accounts you open when you start college different to those you normally open when you start uni? I never really thought about overdrafts until now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    I would like to go with HSBC but I'm not sure whether their Railcard offer still stands so I'm going to have to check on enrolment day. I may go with Natwest instead though.

However, do I have to close my Halifax account or something before I can open an account with either of the 2 above? It's just that I have been reading some posts here about how you can only have one account. I have a few friends who have at least 2 student accounts with Solo cards. So is it possible?

EDIT: ok, I think my account with Halifax is a Cardcash one but I checked about this on the Halifax site and it says you should get an Electron card while I have a Solo card! Are the student accounts you open when you start college different to those you normally open when you start uni? I never really thought about overdrafts until now...
    The HSBC railcard offer expired on 21st August, but you can still get one with Natwest as far as I know. Your Halifax account doesn't sound like a student account, as banks usually require a confirmation of your university place before they will open it for you. In which case, I don't think you'll need to close the Halifax account, but they might ask you to declare what other bank accounts you have when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so now I've got my Natwest chequbook though the post, and the railcard form sent off, my student account is sorted. I'm thinking of opening another account, just a regualr savings account, where I can put my wages in. It would be the one take money out of and put money into, whereas the student account would be just for my loan. Anyone else doing this? I just think it would be safer, and a better way to manage my money. Am I allowed to open another regular savings account with Natwest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    Ok so now I've got my Natwest chequbook though the post, and the railcard form sent off, my student account is sorted. I'm thinking of opening another account, just a regualr savings account, where I can put my wages in. It would be the one take money out of and put money into, whereas the student account would be just for my loan. Anyone else doing this? I just think it would be safer, and a better way to manage my money. Am I allowed to open another regular savings account with Natwest?
    Yes, I'm doing that. No point in having your savings in a student account where it isn't going to gain any interest. I've set up internet banking with both, so I can transfer money between them when I need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Yes, I'm doing that. No point in having your savings in a student account where it isn't going to gain any interest. I've set up internet banking with both, so I can transfer money between them when I need to.
    That's great thanks a lot. I thought Natwest wouldn't let me have two accounts, so I was going to go with another bank.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.