Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    That's great thanks a lot. I thought Natwest wouldn't let me have two accounts, so I was going to go with another bank.
    Think that is only if they're two student accounts. No bank will allow that!

ReputationRep:
    www.smile.co.uk are pretty good
    decent interest rate when yr in credit
    1000 OD without having to request it (other banks you have to ask for yr OD, and some wont always let u have the max depending on yr credit rating)
    you contact advisers thru these private secure message thingys-quite cool IMO

you can use co-op bank branches, which are in most major towns/cities

ReputationRep:
    Ok so after my account was opened they sent me a letter asking for 2 passport size photographs, for my railcard. I got my railcard in teh post today. Does anyone know when I'll get my cashcard-is the second passport-photo for that? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkthorp)
    www.smile.co.uk are pretty good
    decent interest rate when yr in credit
    1000 OD without having to request it (other banks you have to ask for yr OD, and some wont always let u have the max depending on yr credit rating)
    you contact advisers thru these private secure message thingys-quite cool IMO

you can use co-op bank branches, which are in most major towns/cities
    I've got a smile account
    I'd say it was one of the best ones, not least because they actually give you a worth while interest rate! And I quite like how you can do it all online, and set up standing orderes and everything plus if you really need to visit a branch you just pop into a Co-op bank branch. I suppose they don't give you any freebies, but a rail-card isn't going to be much use to me as I shall mainly be flying home, it's faster and cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    I take it that you are limited to one student bank account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    I take it that you are limited to one student bank account?
    HSBC, Natwest and HBOS specifically say that their own student bank account should be your only one. If in the unlikely event one manages to open an account with them, whilst having another account, then after the bank does their credit check on the applicant, they will see that they already have an overdraft and will not offer another overdraft.

Barclays and Lloyds TSB are less stringent, but would still like their account to be your main one. I once saw a table showing all the details of the major student accounts, including if they allowed you to hold more than one. I forgot where it was now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not sure whether this thread is dead now and whether anyone would still read it but I need some advice. I currently have a Halifax Cardcash account (with a Solo card) which I opened when I was 15 or 16.

Now I'm at uni and my mum says I should get a Student account. She would prefer that I get an HSBC Student account but it seems that they only give you a Maestro or Solo card, which I don't think would be any useful because there are still some places that don't accept Solo cards.

Then I saw someone say that if you get a Halifax Student account instead, you get a Visa debit card which does sound good because Visa is accepted nearly everywhere, unless I'm wrong and that most places accept the Visa credit card and NOT the Visa debit card.

I would like to know whether I can upgrade from my Cardcash account to a Student account with Halifax. Also, if I was to get this Visa debit card, I don't have to pay like a minimum amount of money into my account like a proper credit card one right? I dunno how this works and what is the real difference between a debit and credit card account. My friend recently upgraded his HSBC account to a Student one and got a Mastercard!

If a Visa debit account isn't like what I think it is where you just simply put money in, take money in, like my current Cardcash account, then I may have to go with HSBC and get another Solo card after all! So if anyone is able to help me out here, then I would appreciate it very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Hi, I'm not sure whether this thread is dead now and whether anyone would still read it but I need some advice. I currently have a Halifax Cardcash account (with a Solo card) which I opened when I was 15 or 16.

Now I'm at uni and my mum says I should get a Student account. She would prefer that I get an HSBC Student account but it seems that they only give you a Maestro or Solo card, which I don't think would be any useful because there are still some places that don't accept Solo cards.

Then I saw someone say that if you get a Halifax Student account instead, you get a Visa debit card which does sound good because Visa is accepted nearly everywhere, unless I'm wrong and that most places accept the Visa credit card and NOT the Visa debit card.

I would like to know whether I can upgrade from my Cardcash account to a Student account with Halifax. Also, if I was to get this Visa debit card, I don't have to pay like a minimum amount of money into my account like a proper credit card one right? I dunno how this works and what is the real difference between a debit and credit card account. My friend recently upgraded his HSBC account to a Student one and got a Mastercard!

If a Visa debit account isn't like what I think it is where you just simply put money in, take money in, like my current Cardcash account, then I may have to go with HSBC and get another Solo card after all! So if anyone is able to help me out here, then I would appreciate it very much.
    Maestro is the new name for switch, accepted pretty much everywhere. Solo acceptance seems to have improved a lot recently. Which one you get depends on your credit rating. I should think halifax will let you convert your account, most banks do.

A visa debit card is accepted wherever you see the visa sign. A debit card only lets you spend money you've got (and your overdraft if you've got one), and no you wont need to make a payment each month. A credit card allows you to spend money you dont have, which you pay back monthly, and is a separate thing altogether from your bank account.

visa debit cards usually let you guarantee cheques, where solo cards wont.

maestro and visa debit are pretty much the same thing.

hope this helps! if anything unclear just ask!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.