The Student Room Group

Damp and mould

Anon because I know people on here and this is quite embarrassing.

My room is really susceptible to damp as I don't want to open my window. My room is in the basement so my window is literally on the same level as the ground floor - I don't want anything like mice or insects getting in my room and they don't even have to climb or anything, they could just crawl into my room through the window.

So my flatmate has said I should just keep my door open, which seems reasonable. I don't want to invest in a dehumidifier because they're really expensive.

Also there's these white fluffy things that have been recently growing on my wall - I don't know if they're mould? I did some research and it could also be Efflorescence?

I don't have asthma or anything but would not doing anything about the damp in the room screw my health up permanently? I don't spend very long in my room as I work, so I only spend a maximum of 12 hours in my room a day. I am considering just not spending any time in my room and just using it to sleep.

Thoughts?
Couldn't you say something about the mould/damp to your landlord...?
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
Couldn't you say something about the mould/damp to your landlord...?

He's pretty useless so I doubt he would do anything about it
Original post by Anonymous

My room is really susceptible to damp as I don't want to open my window. My room is in the basement so my window is literally on the same level as the ground floor - I don't want anything like mice or insects getting in my room and they don't even have to climb or anything, they could just crawl into my room through the window.

So my flatmate has said I should just keep my door open, which seems reasonable. I don't want to invest in a dehumidifier because they're really expensive.

Also there's these white fluffy things that have been recently growing on my wall - I don't know if they're mould? I did some research and it could also be Efflorescence?

I don't have asthma or anything but would not doing anything about the damp in the room screw my health up permanently? I don't spend very long in my room as I work, so I only spend a maximum of 12 hours in my room a day. I am considering just not spending any time in my room and just using it to sleep.

Thoughts?

Call your landlord, he needs to deal with this - or at least pay for your dehumidifier. My friend had the same problem, her landlord had to get her new carpets, got someone in to do the bathroom and bedroom and her whole flat smelt of damp. She is so fed up she is now moving out.
Reply 4
Original post by digitalangel18
Call your landlord, he needs to deal with this - or at least pay for your dehumidifier. My friend had the same problem, her landlord had to get her new carpets, got someone in to do the bathroom and bedroom and her whole flat smelt of damp. She is so fed up she is now moving out.

So did your friend's flat smell of damp because of the cleaning or was the whole flat damp in the first place? I think my room is the only damp one in the house :frown: But I constantly have wet clothes drying in my room. Do you think not letting the clothes dry in my room would solve the problem at all?
So did your friend's flat smell of damp because of the cleaning or was the whole flat damp in the first place? I think my room is the only damp one in the house :frown: But I constantly have wet clothes drying in my room. Do you think not letting the clothes dry in my room would solve the problem at all?

I'm unsure of the root cause of her damp but I think it was something to do with her ventilation system, which became obvious after 8 months living there. I'm guessing you don't have a tumble dryer in your flat? If you have the room I'd start by buying an air drying rack, as it may help.

http://www.dormco.com/v/vspfiles/photos/J2-2-9-1165-2.jpg

Whether your landlord is useless or not, it's his job to fix this:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepair-common-problems/disrepair-dampness/

:smile:
Drying your clothes in a basement with low airflow and no dehumidifier is a terrible idea and if your landlord believes that is the cause of the mold then they would be within their rights to charge you to fix the mold damage. Buy a small dehumidifier, if it's a fairly small space you won't have to spend ridiculous money on running it but it could save your health and deposit. Sweep the area outside your window regularly and fit a temporary screen, one that allows airflow but will restrict dust and definitely stop creatures coming in.
Struggling with this problem aswell at the minute. Payed 140 quid for a dehumidfier which is great but it cannot be in two places at once and with the bathroom door being off and clothes drying downstairs, leaves me with a problem :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by digitalangel18
I'm unsure of the root cause of her damp but I think it was something to do with her ventilation system, which became obvious after 8 months living there. I'm guessing you don't have a tumble dryer in your flat? If you have the room I'd start by buying an air drying rack, as it may help.

http://www.dormco.com/v/vspfiles/photos/J2-2-9-1165-2.jpg

Whether your landlord is useless or not, it's his job to fix this:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepair-common-problems/disrepair-dampness/

:smile:

Thanks! I'll definitely use that if he refuses in his email. But the air drying rack is what I have in my room :tongue:

Original post by Quilverine
Drying your clothes in a basement with low airflow and no dehumidifier is a terrible idea and if your landlord believes that is the cause of the mold then they would be within their rights to charge you to fix the mold damage. Buy a small dehumidifier, if it's a fairly small space you won't have to spend ridiculous money on running it but it could save your health and deposit. Sweep the area outside your window regularly and fit a temporary screen, one that allows airflow but will restrict dust and definitely stop creatures coming in.

I admit it is, but the tumble dryer is awful and just wastes energy. I'm sure the damp was already there before I even started drying my clothes anyway, just the laundry exacerbated it.
Reply 9
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Struggling with this problem aswell at the minute. Payed 140 quid for a dehumidfier which is great but it cannot be in two places at once and with the bathroom door being off and clothes drying downstairs, leaves me with a problem :frown:

It's annoying isn't it :frown: how much does your dehumi cost to run per day/however long you use it for?
It's annoying isn't it :frown: how much does your dehumi cost to run per day/however long you use it for?

Super annoying, especially when it causing arguments between me and the other half. She is insistent on having the windows open in the house which I am kinda against due to how damn cold it is. It has two settings, normal and super kick humidites ass which i only use when clothes have just come out the wash. Both are excellent but the super one basically heats the room up quickly and sucks moisture out very quickly

I bought it from Amazon and seem to recall a previous buyer breaking down the running costs in one of the top reviews: Here it is.

"One word of warning though, these do use a fair bit of power. Try to be a bit careful... I worked out if this thing is working non stop for 24 hours it will cost you about £1.40 or £2.50 a day depending whether its on the quiet or turbo setting (assuming 15p per kwh). While this might not sound much it does add up! Having said this if you try to keep the humidity around 50 or 60% it only switches on for a few hours a day & will cost you a lot less than this."

It is probably on around 6 hours a day at the minute so if their calculations are correct its costing roughly 40/50p a day, £10-£15 a month.

Remember that i have two rooms and two lots of washing to do though so i imagine your usage in one room would be much less
Reply 11

Thoughts?

It's not efflorescence. Efflorescence is salt that leaches out of brickwork and usually shows up as white patches on external walls.

You have white mold. There are things you can do to treat it in the short term but ultimately you have to get some air circulating in that room and insulation dealt with properly or it'll keep coming back.

http://www.mold-advisor.com/white-mold.html

Some moulds can be extremely dangerous for your health (not white mould but other kinds) to the point when it can cause long term and irreversible neurological damage so I'd urge you to take care of this problem sooner or later.
Original post by Howard
It's not efflorescence. Efflorescence is salt that leaches out of brickwork and usually shows up as white patches on external walls.

You have white mold. There are things you can do to treat it in the short term but ultimately you have to get some air circulating in that room and insulation dealt with properly or it'll keep coming back.

http://www.mold-advisor.com/white-mold.html

Some moulds can be extremely dangerous for your health (not white mould but other kinds) to the point when it can cause long term and irreversible neurological damage so I'd urge you to take care of this problem sooner or later.

I'd agree that it is mold, but according to that link: Second, spray the substance with a little water in a spray bottle and simply wipe it with a rag. It that removes it, it’s not mold.

I did that last night and that removed it fairly easily :s-smilie:
But anyway it only grows below the window and nowhere else so I'll just keep my door open when I'm not in the house (which is a solid 12-15 ish hours a day) and the air should circulate enough in that time surely?

Quick Reply

Latest