The Student Room Group

ISIS explanation please??

Can someone please tell me why Isis are doing what they do? I am uneducated in this particular sector, and am very confused lol

Scroll to see replies

They are imposing a perverted interpretation of Islam onto others using violence, using the Quran and Hadith as an excuse.

The organisation was also unintentionally created by Western intervention and destabilization of the region, this is a factor of why ISIS do what they do, though not the only factor. Similarly, they do not represent Muslims or the mainstream belief of Islam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unlike most Muslims, who are sane enough to cherry pick the benevolent bits in the Qu'ran, or who just keep themselves to themselves, Islamic State ignore the few nice bits of the Qu'ran and take all the many nasty bits (like the verse about chopping off nonbelievers heads and fingers) very literally.
Original post by BobbyFlay
They are imposing a perverted interpretation of Islam onto others using violence, using the Quran and Hadith as an excuse.

The organisation was also unintentionally created by Western intervention and destabilization of the region, this is a factor of why ISIS do what they do, though not the only factor. Similarly, they do not represent Muslims or the mainstream belief of Islam.

Don't make it sound like there's absolutely no association though... they are Muslims, just also considering that Muslims aren't a homogeneous group.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Don't make it sound like there's absolutely no association though... they are Muslims, just also considering that Muslims aren't a homogeneous group.

There is no association.
A load of Hindus have stolen the pyramids from the Sikhs and the Christians have launched a Crusade to bring them back.

I thought the first sentence made that bit clear, though I guess I could have worded that better.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
There is no association.

Whether or not they are associated is a non-sequitur, what matters is that Islam plays a role and is a factor of extremism (Jihad)
Whether or not they are associated is a non-sequitur, what matters is that Islam plays a role and is a factor of extremism (Jihad)

The Daesh are using the excuse of Islam to commit evil crimes. If they were following Islam then there wouldn't be so many civillian deaths.

Note that more Muslims have died in the hands of ISIS than Americans.
The Daesh are using the excuse of Islam to commit evil crimes. If they were following Islam then there wouldn't be so many civillian deaths.

Note that more Muslims have died in the hands of ISIS than Americans.

You are missing the point again. I am not blaming Muslims.
You can draw a straight line from the actions of ISIS to the Quran and Bukhari Hadith. This fact alone tells us that Islam as an ideology plays a role.
Original post by enyaajohns
Can someone please tell me why Isis are doing what they do? I am uneducated in this particular sector, and am very confused lol

ISIS want to create an "Islamic State".

They started out as al Qaeda in Iraq, and set up in Syria during its civil war, fighting against Assad. Early on they were allies with the rebels and they regularly fought together. Later on they turned on the rebels (including the Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra front), and took much of eastern Syria from them.

Their aim is to create an Islamic state, or caliphate, based on their interpretation of Islam, which is a very religiously conservative interpretation of Sunni Islam. They don't allow things like alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc in the areas they control, and they enforce dress codes for women and stuff like that. Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, leader of the group, is the "caliph" of the "Islamic State". Raqqa in Syria was one of the first major towns they held, and is often thought of as their "capital" (though they do control other larger cities now, like Mosul in Iraq).

They persecute all opponents, including Shia, Kurds, Yazidis, Christians, but also non extremist Sunnis, political opponents and anti-ISIS activists. As part of their attempt to set up a state, they're always looking to expand their territory, and they fight against pretty much every other group in Syria and Iraq whenever they get the chance.

It can get a bit complicated. Is there anything else you want to know?
Every ideology has its extremists and then terrorists. ISIS are beyond any justifications, they were neither created or a direct result of anything. (Otherwise they would just be a group of fighters like elsewhere in the world or demonstrate or .... not terrorize literally everyone but themselves.) As most states in the middle east have not the option or stability to fight terrorism, they could spread.

My explanation: Some people need to think, they are better than others, then they create an organization. The young people following are somehow lured in until a point of no return,. They get a sense in their life and the satisfaction of being part of something "great". Concerning which century you are living in, the ideology and place changes, but the motives are pretty much the same.
There is no association.

There is.

It's not third parties that define who is and who isn't Muslim. If they said they were Christian for example, believed so, and had any association with the bible, regardless of what the bible teaches, that'd make them Christian. Just there's a greater disparity between these Christians and other Christians. Same principle applies here.

I'm not trying to attack Muslims at all, just saying that the individual defines whether themselves are Muslims or not, not us, providing there's any association with the Qur'an.

Does that make sense?
There is no association.

So says the unbiased user who describes herself as 'part of the Ummah.' No association whatsoever. :rolleyes:
You are missing the point again. I am not blaming Muslims.
You can draw a straight line from the actions of ISIS to the Quran and Bukhari Hadith. This fact alone tells us that Islam as an ideology plays a role.

If the ideology itself sparks hatred and terror then explain to me why the other 99% percent of 1.6 bil are still living peacefully?

Don't give me that "They're not practising the REAL Islam" crap.
There is.

It's not third parties that define who is and who isn't Muslim. If they said they were Christian for example, believed so, and had any association with the bible, regardless of what the bible teaches, that'd make them Christian. Just there's a greater disparity between these Christians and other Christians. Same principle applies here.

I'm not trying to attack Muslims at all, just saying that the individual defines whether themselves are Muslims or not, not us, providing there's any association with the Qur'an.

Does that make sense?

Actions make you a Muslim and whatever ISIS are doing isn't convincing us of anything.

They use the Quran and Islam as an excuse to slaughter thousands like I have said so no, Islam does not advocate for this. This is all I am trying to get across.
Original post by Hydeman
So says the unbiased user who describes herself as 'part of the Ummah.' No association whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Part of the Ummah means being a Muslim. Surely an "expert" like you ought to know that.

It helps knowing a lot about Islam and what you're talking about before smashing some keys on your keyboard and posting something completely stupid.

Thanks for your useful contribution though.
Part of the Ummah means being a Muslim. Surely an "expert" like you ought to know that.

I do know that, although I haven't claimed to be an expert on anything. Excellent attempt at a straw man though. :wink:

It helps knowing a lot about Islam and what you're talking about before smashing some keys on your keyboard and posting something completely stupid.

Why, if you know this, are you posting something completely stupid, namely that there is no association between IS and Islam?

Thanks for your useful contribution though.

You're welcome. If nothing else, it's telling that you have no sense of humour. :laugh:
Reply 18
Original post by RF_PineMarten
ISIS want to create an "Islamic State".

They started out as al Qaeda in Iraq, and set up in Syria during its civil war, fighting against Assad. Early on they were allies with the rebels and they regularly fought together. Later on they turned on the rebels (including the Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra front), and took much of eastern Syria from them.

Their aim is to create an Islamic state, or caliphate, based on their interpretation of Islam, which is a very religiously conservative interpretation of Sunni Islam. They don't allow things like alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc in the areas they control, and they enforce dress codes for women and stuff like that. Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, leader of the group, is the "caliph" of the "Islamic State". Raqqa in Syria was one of the first major towns they held, and is often thought of as their "capital" (though they do control other larger cities now, like Mosul in Iraq).

They persecute all opponents, including Shia, Kurds, Yazidis, Christians, but also non extremist Sunnis, political opponents and anti-ISIS activists. As part of their attempt to set up a state, they're always looking to expand their territory, and they fight against pretty much every other group in Syria and Iraq whenever they get the chance.

It can get a bit complicated. Is there anything else you want to know?

Thankyou! That's a great explanation! And yes! Why have they got it in for Paris?
Original post by enyaajohns
Thankyou! That's a great explanation! And yes! Why have they got it in for Paris?

They've got it in for the entire western world, but they cited French air strikes in the middle east as reason for the attacks in Paris.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending