Turn on thread page Beta

ebay: can I change my bid watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My bids are unbelievably low ($11 for one and $10 for another) and I think I'll lose it if someone has a higher maximum. Can I change it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    My bids are unbelievably low ($11 for one and $10 for another) and I think I'll lose it if someone has a higher maximum. Can I change it?
    You can probably bid again which if it is for the same item would beat your previous bid. I thought the point of ebay was to get something as cheap as you can. I would just let someone raise you before you bid again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just go back before the auction ends and place another bid if someone else already has bid higher than you-no point in bidding against yourself and pushing the price up! Hope you win the item

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetSugar)
    Yeah just go back before the auction ends and place another bid if someone else already has bid higher than you-no point in bidding against yourself and pushing the price up! Hope you win the item
    It doesn't work like that. If you have the highest bid and bid higher, the price stays the same. It will only get higher if someone else bids, e.g.:

(1) bids £1
    (2) bids £1.10
    (1) bids £1.20
    No response from (2) for a while, but (1) is willing to pay higher
    so (1) bids £3.00, the price however stays at £1.20
    (2) now bids £1.30, but Ebay automatically puts in (1)'s bid to £1.40.
    (2) seeing that (1) is winning, bids £1.50. Again Ebay automatically puts in (1)'s bid of £1.60

If (2) doesn't bid again, (1) will only pay £1.60 for the item, despite the fact he bid more (£3.00). Ebay would automatically bid for him up to £3.00. If (2) bid £3.10 and (1) stopped bidding, they would win the item (if noone else bid higher of course) Only you know your highest bid, noone else can see it.

Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    It doesn't work like that. If you have the highest bid and bid higher, the price stays the same. It will only get higher if someone else bids, e.g.:

(1) bids £1
    (2) bids £1.10
    (1) bids £1.20
    No response from (2) for a while, but (1) is willing to pay higher
    so (1) bids £3.00, the price however stays at £1.20
    (2) now bids £1.30, but Ebay automatically puts in (1)'s bid to £1.40.
    (2) seeing that (1) is winning, bids £1.50. Again Ebay automatically puts in (1)'s bid of £1.60

If (2) doesn't bid again, (1) will only pay £1.60 for the item, despite the fact he bid more (£3.00). Ebay would automatically bid for him up to £3.00. If (2) bid £3.10 and (1) stopped bidding, they would win the item (if noone else bid higher of course) Only you know your highest bid, noone else can see it.

Hope that makes sense
    You can place a bid on top of your own. Just go back to the auction and enter a new maximum bid. You'll just be modifying your maximum bid (that is, the most you're willing to pay for the item). Ebay bidding works by increments (whose sizes vary as the price increases). So when you bid on top of someone else's bid, you're only adding an increment. However if their maximum bid is higher than your bid, then they'll bid automatically on top of your bid, until their maximum bid is reached.
    If two people both have maximum bids and one bids on top of the other, the bid will be kept by the person with the highest bid and will its value will either be the lower maximum bid + increment (if the person with the higher maximum bid isn't the person who just placed the bid) or it will be the higher maximum bid (if the person with the higher maximum bid IS the person who just placed the bid).
    Anyway, .NK explained that perfectly.
    Just keep in mind that maximum bidding enables you to continue bidding even when you're not at your comp and doesn't necessarily mean you'll be paying that amount, because when bidding you only add an increment of say 0.10

I think that if you make a mistake, and enter the wrong maximum bid, you have some time to lower it.

ReputationRep:
    There's a site called hammersnipe or something. All it does is to do the last minute bidding for you so you don't have to sit in front of your computer. I think it has the option of placing bid in the last 3 seconds which is something you'll get if you pay for your services.

only thing is that say you have the highest bid, but it's not a full bid increment above the last bid.

e.g. you bid £5.05 and the other person bid £5, you would be winning it at £5.05 but the next bid increment level is £5.20 (i think, i cant remember). So if you bid again to raise your maximum, say £6, the bid would go up to £5.20 even if no one else bid.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Auction Sniper is immense. A win everytime

ReputationRep:
    I went back and put my maximum up to $21. I'm still winning at $10.25 and there's only around 4 hours left. If I win now, I'll only pay $10.25 (plus shipping - total of 8 pounds) right? I thought there might be some small print or something...

ReputationRep:
    I went back and put my maximum up to $21. I'm still winning at $10.25 and there's only around 4 hours left. If I win now, I'll only pay $10.25 (plus shipping - total of 8 pounds) right? I thought there might be some small print or something...
    Nope, you're right, if you win now without anyone increasing their bids, you only pay current price plus postage.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Is there any way to cancel a bid? I bid for a few things on impulse that I don't want and one of them doesn't even ship to the UK.

Cool. Is there any way to cancel a bid? I bid for a few things on impulse that I don't want and one of them doesn't even ship to the UK.
    you can withdraw your bid but i think that goes on your feedback

for the non-UK one try emailing the seller, explain your mistake, and ask him/her to cancel the bid (or if you do want it ask if they will ship to the UK!)
    rosie

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.