Here we go again ... another A-level results fiasco emerges... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
http://education.guardian.co.uk/alev...006947,00.html

It looks like we're in for another fiasco.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)

*GULP* :confused:

Did you really have to post that....? It doesn't do much for our nerves given we're 13 days and counting.

Curriculum 2000 has been a farce from the offset, it was drempt up and then enforced too quickly, just so it could go with its name "2000", cos lets face it Curriculum 2001 wouldn't have had the same effect.

How can we get into a situation where at the start of the September 2001 Maths lessons, they have no texts books, then they have only draft text books, littered with errors, and it took till around March 2002 to get the texts in (just in time for us).

By this time, M2, and S2 had not been published, and we were waiting for both in November 2002.

Only our lives the incompetant bunch are playing with, not like its any thing they have to worry about.
Rich
Rep:
?
(Original post by Expression)
*GULP* :confused:

Did you really have to post that....? It doesn't do much for our nerves given we're 13 days and counting.

Curriculum 2000 has been a farce from the offset, it was drempt up and then enforced too quickly, just so it could go with its name "2000", cos lets face it Curriculum 2001 would have had the same effect.

How can we get into a situation where at the start of the September 2001 Maths lessons, they have no texts books, then they have only draft text books, littered with errors, and it took till around March 2002 to get the texts in (just in time for us).

By this time, M2, and S2 had not been published, and we were waiting for both in November 2002.

Only our lives the incompetant bunch are playing with, not like its any thing they have to worry about.
Sorry, maybe I should've been more sensitive before posting that!

At least we're all potentially in the same boat, if that's any consolation.

We'll just have to all wait, pray and see.

Good luck to us all, because with these fools at the helm, God knows we need it!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know this is easy for a GCSE student to say, but try not to worry about it. The media is always melodramatic, and even if their is another 'crisis', there is nothing you can do and your results may not be affected.

The glass is half full!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)

OH NO!!! *feels sicker than she did before* :eek: Hopefully thats just for A2?? *sudden light of hope*
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Hopefully thats just for A2?? *sudden light of hope*

Selfish git !

Hopefully it will all turn out to be alright for everyone, and just a case of over excitedness from the media.

Personally, I hope it's for no-one ! :cool:
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Selfish git ! Hopefully it will all turn out to be alright for everyone, and just a case of over excitedness from the media.

Personally, I hope it's for no-one !
Eeeeek don't call me that, never heard that being said to a girl! lol. I was only joking btw, hopefully it wont happen to anyone.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Eeeeek don't call me that, never heard that being said to a girl! lol. I was only joking btw, hopefully it wont happen to anyone.
I forgot to stick my mark of sarcasm in there, maybe if I'd put a smilee or two in...

EDIT - Amazing how a few smilees change the whole way the message is read
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i don't think the article is actually giving any seriously bad news, read the last two paragraphs:

"A spokesman for the QCA said grades could now be downgraded as well as upgraded and were part of a package of guidelines to ensure pupils were fairly marked.

'Candidates will receive the grades they have earned. When chairs of examiners look to set grade boundaries this year they will have to take account of a revised code of practice that clearly gives priority to examiner judgement not statistics."

THis would seem to imply that when an examiner marks a paper, they will grade it according to its merits and not in comparison to all the other papers...which is probably the fairest way of marking an exam.

the rest of the paper is a perfect example of media hype (probably some struggling reporter trying to make a name of himself)...all the article is based on is the government now allowing legal scaling up and scaling down on exam papers. this reporter is just trying to add hype, the use of the term "slashing grades" is completely unfounded as the government has not said anything about compulsory downgrading, the new clause is supposed to prevent grades being messed about.

just read what that QCA spokesman is quoted as saying...the words of the reporter are not worth your time. hope this makes you feel a bit better! (i too got very very scared when i read the article for the first time)
Unspeakable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The really sad thing about all this is that we need an upgrading/downgrading system at all.
The fairest way of doing exams would be if the was 1 paper for each subject and the same paper was set for everyone, every year, then noone would have to worry about a paper being easier/harder. And the only reason we can't have this perfect system? People! If only everyone was trustworthy enough to literally be able to say "don't tell anyone what's on the paper" and leave it at that.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unspeakable)
The really sad thing about all this is that we need an upgrading/downgrading system at all.
The fairest way of doing exams would be if the was 1 paper for each subject and the same paper was set for everyone, every year, then noone would have to worry about a paper being easier/harder. And the only reason we can't have this perfect system? People! If only everyone was trustworthy enough to literally be able to say "don't tell anyone what's on the paper" and leave it at that.
Yes, but that is quite a big reason, though I do see your point. I think their is too much emphasis on exams. Sometimes it feels we are being coached for the exam rather than gaining an education. Maybe just one or two exams for each A(s)-level would suffice but also with a teacher grade. This would mean the exams would be quicker to mark and they are less likely to have a 'fiasco' again, as they probably become an annual event now.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yes, but that is quite a big reason, though I do see your point. I think their is too much emphasis on exams. Sometimes it feels we are being coached for the exam rather than gaining an education. Maybe just one or two exams for each A(s)-level would suffice but also with a teacher grade. This would mean the exams would be quicker to mark and they are less likely to have a 'fiasco' again, as they probably become an annual event now.
i sympathise with you but to be honest, exams and education are on and the same. it is no point giving someone an education if you do not know whether they have absorbed any of the information they have received, and as sad as it is there is no other way of testing this other than exams. i do agree that there is too much emphasis on the exams as opposed to the learning process especially since the AS/A2 system was introduced. unfortuantely i feel that exams are neccessary and will be for the forseable future.
Rich
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unspeakable)
LOL, I'm afraid I don't think that would work!! Sometimes the papers get out as it is now, just imagine the situation if they used the same one each year! :eek: I think if humans were that trustworthy and predictable enough to use such a system successfully, it would make for a bit of a boring (maybe Vulcan-style) society.

Just thought I'd bring to everyone's attention that grade scaling is a perfectly normal process when practiced as intended (i.e. via the UMS system), but when grades are arbitrarily slashed as implied by that report, is when you've got cause for complaint!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if they just could possible loose my first 2 psychology papers....p3... and ph4 and ph5.....

it would be extreamly helpful of them.

love Katy ***
giddylid1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right, call me ignorant and all that but I've been on holiday...
whats happened?
Lyd
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by giddylid1)
Right, call me ignorant and all that but I've been on holiday...
whats happened?
Lyd
Read the article that Hayden linked to in the initial post of this thread. Then you'll see what all the fuss on this thread is about.
giddylid1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Read the article that Hayden linked to in the initial post of this thread. Then you'll see what all the fuss on this thread is about.
Aah ok... didnt see that....
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I hope they don't screw it up again :/.
Fairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I hope they don't screw it up again :/.
Me too!
Im hoping its just a media scare story.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fairydust)
Me too!
Im hoping its just a media scare story.
It's only been in the Guardian, not any other paper so it probably is just a scare story.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%