The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Getoverture
I'm just wondering if any current economics graduates or applicants are interested in anything other than IB? I know a lot of people want to go into IB, but does anyone want to go down any other routes, and if so what?

other than management consultancy another thing which intrests me is:

http://www.ges.gov.uk/

basically Civil Service Fast Stream entry in general...havent looked into it too much (too much to read atm...will do it after exams).

http://www.faststream.gov.uk/

a good website to have a look at is:

http://doctorjob.com/

some people are considering Accounting as the alternative but i dont see why one would want to work there...i wont even be applying there.
The Majority of graduate jobs do not specify a degree subject.

Economists are highly sought in many industries, but you must also bear in mind you have alot else to prove apart from having a good honours i.e. work experience, ECs(relevant ones not bull**** ones), being social adept and all the other desirable soft skills companies search for.

Economists do not usually go for IB, I only know a handful who do many, go for consultancy, accountacny, further study et al. Way more options that finance which IIRC according to an article I wrote 10% of graduate destinations. This is a very small proportion for graduates to enter.
Just using an example of my university, Durham, which is a targeted university by IBs, about 5-10% of economists want to go into IB.
This forum is just stupidly unrepresentative of the student population.
Reply 4
tbh any average paying job will do as long as it gives me enough time to manage property development. will probably buy several apartments on a mortgage in london (somewhere central), do them up a bit and loan them out for more than the mortgage.
Reply 5
abrp
tbh any average paying job will do

Out of interest, what kind of salary classifies as average pay to you?
Reply 6
£25k-£30k i would imagine.

Im sure theres insane competition going, but i quite like the idea of working for the WTO or even the IMF.
domisakin
£25k-£30k i would imagine.

Im sure theres insane competition going, but i quite like the idea of working for the WTO or even the IMF.

I think im not sure, you'll need to possibly study up2 masters if not phd level.
Reply 8
unknown demon
I think im not sure, you'll need to possibly study up2 masters if not phd level.

I'd have to think seriously about it, if they required a PHD but ive always intended to do a Masters. Heck, 1 extra year of partying cant be all bad? :rolleyes:. To me it just seems the perfect life - travelling across the globe, and theres also the sense of accomplishment in knowing your doing something to help others. Drogue (dont know if he's still on these forums) sure did a good job selling it to me (lol).
I'd also consider it. Though an MA is a defo for myself. not sure where though...
Reply 10
unknown demon
I'd also consider it. Though an MA is a defo for myself. not sure where though...

Where are you going for undergrad? From the various sigs ive encountered on here, it seems relatively easy to get into top uni's for post grad...(correct me if im wrong)
Shady Lane is doing this domisakin i think...talk to her about it. then post it here because it sounds intresting :p:
Reply 12
abrp
Shady Lane is doing this domisakin i think...talk to her about it. then post it here because it sounds intresting :p:

Thanks for the tip :yy: Will do!
Reply 13
I would love to teach high school Economics, but that's not going to happen.
Reply 14
tourist
I would love to teach high school Economics, but that's not going to happen.

Yeah I've considered teaching. Why will it never happen?
Reply 15
Mostly due to the fact that if I taught I'd want to progress my career e.g. HoD Deputy Head etc etc. To do this would involve moving around the country especially since I want to teach mostly Economics rather than mostly Business or Maths and schools with the departments are a little few and far between. I don't really want to move around much, and don't want to distrupt my family life in the future by doing so.

I might do a PGCE anyway so at least I'd be qualified. I'd love to be involved with learning resources/professional development that kind of stuff. I'd love to do my job at the moment but not be an intern :wink: and with Economics instead of Maths. Ie actually be involved in some of the projects rather than just doing all the boring leg work for them.
Reply 16
domisakin
I'd have to think seriously about it, if they required a PHD but ive always intended to do a Masters. Heck, 1 extra year of partying cant be all bad? :rolleyes:. To me it just seems the perfect life - travelling across the globe, and theres also the sense of accomplishment in knowing your doing something to help others. Drogue (dont know if he's still on these forums) sure did a good job selling it to me (lol).

http://www.imf.org/external/np/adm/rec/job/summint.htm

That's the IMF Internship programme.

Who Should Apply

Students are typically pursing a Ph.D. in macroeconomics or a relevant field, such as international economics, monetary economics, public finance, econometrics, labor economics, poverty issues or political economy. Typically, internships are sought by those who are interested in the IMF's Economist Program following graduation.

Students who are considering the IMF Internship Program:

* should be within one or two years of completing their Ph.D. in macroeconomics or relevant field;
* must be in student status, i.e., must be returning to university after their internship;
* typically are below the age of 30;
* have an excellent command of English (both written and oral); and
* must possess strong quantitative and computer skills.

While the selection process is highly competitive, candidates with diverse academic or cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Reply 17
Knogle
http://www.imf.org/external/np/adm/rec/job/summint.htm

That's the IMF Internship programme.

Hmmm. Interesting.

The only thing holding me back from pursuing a PHD is the timescale. Considering the extreme competition for such few places, i could also very well end up 10 years from now - jobless! Can i just ask, outside of the IMF, what is the usefullness of obtaining a PHD in economics - on the occupational side of things. Obviously i would appear a more attractive employee, but these days it seems to be all about work experience. Ive even been told by some people on here that an MA isnt neccessary, let alone PHD.
domisakin
Hmmm. Interesting.

The only thing holding me back from pursuing a PHD is the timescale. Considering the extreme competition for such few places, i could also very well end up 10 years from now - jobless! Can i just ask, outside of the IMF, what is the usefullness of obtaining a PHD in economics - on the occupational side of things. Obviously i would appear a more attractive employee, but these days it seems to be all about work experience. Ive even been told by some people on here that an MA isnt neccessary, let alone PHD.

If you do you do a PhD in Financial Econometrics, you can become a quant.
The IMF basically only wants PhDs. The World Bank (including the International Finance Corporation) take on people with MScs in politics, development studies, economics, etc. or MBAs.

Latest

Trending

Trending