The Student Room Group

Everyone deserves to be happy, stress-free and comfortable

Matrix123 said "Everyone deserves to be happy, stress-free and comfortable with themselves and their present situations."

That is a desire that has spawned thousands of years of philosophy and political thinking. It created the United Nations and human right treaties, abolished slavery and created the drive for equality.

But why is it so hard? And why does it take so long?
Yet people don't always get what they deserve.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Yet people don't always get what they deserve.

Why do people deserve these things? Who is to judge.
Original post by whydoidothis?

Karma. If you're good to people, you deserve goodness back. If you work hard, you deserve to succeed.
Karma. If you're good to people, you deserve goodness back. If you work hard, you deserve to succeed.

However, life is not that simple.
Original post by Simes
Matrix123 said "Everyone deserves to be happy, stress-free and comfortable with themselves and their present situations."

That is a desire that has spawned thousands of years of philosophy and political thinking. It created the United Nations and human right treaties, abolished slavery and created the drive for equality.

But why is it so hard? And why does it take so long?

Everyone deserves to be happy. But what makes one happy might make another sad.

why on earth do people not deserve to be happy?

What is being good to people? There is no common view on morality, everyone is different and the validity of a persons morality can never be judged realistically. Hitler worked very hard but did not succeed, in his mind he did 'good'.

Everyone tries to do 'good' but everyone has a different idea of 'good'.
Original post by silverbolt

No is do think everyone deserves to be happy, was just creating some debate as I think its impossible.
How can you be entirely stress free? By not going to school not finding a job and not doing anything? Whenever you have a task at hand, you feel some degree of stress.
everybody deserves to be allowed to pursue happiness and comfort, but if they don't find it, that's on them
Original post by Tailored_Suit
I see no evidence of karma in the real world. Many evil people live very comfortable lives and many good people suffer horribly.

There is karma - but it is a reduced effect. For example, if you are a nice person, then people around you are going to be nice to you. But you can't expect like be offered a promotion or something just because you are a nice person. Thus, being good / evil does produce effect but it is not as much as you put out.

However, there is an effect and if you do much misdeed, something will come back to bite you. Similarly, if you do good deeds, you will get repaid one day. Also, many of these "evil" person (I guess you are referring to criminals) , are haunted constantly by the threat of others revenge and arrest. I have seen a documentary on criminal and almost all of them rely on some kind of medication to help them sleep and various health issue. That is definitely a karma.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think the elephant in the room which no one has addressed (with perhaps the exception of sleepysnooze) so far is: should the state provide the "necessities" to make people happy, stress-free and comfortable with themselves and their present situations, without any expectation of repayment by the recipients of such "necessities"
Original post by ForeignStudent32

Unfortunately not; I'm not trying to claim that it is.

What is being good to people? There is no common view on morality, everyone is different and the validity of a persons morality can never be judged realistically. Hitler worked very hard but did not succeed, in his mind he did 'good'.

Everyone tries to do 'good' but everyone has a different idea of 'good'.

There is no common view on morality, but there is a general consensus on what can be considered 'good and 'bad'. Most people realise that Hitler's actions were those of a crazed lunatic. Hitler also cheated his way into power by finding loopholes in the law; I'm not sure that this can really be called working hard.

If we prescribe to Utilitarian Ethics, what is good is what results in the greatest happiness for the greatest people. Situation Ethics term that which results in the greatest agape as the most good.. the list goes on. On the whole, there is a consensus that actions that create the most happiness are good. There may not be an agreement on the intricacies, but on the whole, humans are able to differentiate between good and bad with some agreement.

I see no evidence of karma in the real world. Many evil people live very comfortable lives and many good people suffer horribly.

I didn't say there was. I indicated that I think there should be.
Original post by silverbolt

Harold Shipman.
Fred and Rose West.

Everybody deserves to be happy?
Original post by ForeignStudent32

You guys seem to be confusing arguments about how the world should be with arguments about how the world is. If we want to change something about the world, we're necessarily starting from a point where the world is not the way we want it to be. Simply saying "But the world isn't that way" or "Life isn't fair" is not productive.
It's hard because natural state of things is not for people to be stress-free, happy and comfortable. Look at animals in the wild: their lives are stressful, short and uncomfortable. They often don't know whether they'll survive the next winter, where their next meal will come from or when they're about to be annihilated by a predator.

It takes hard work to remove these ails from life. But we're not doing badly at it, at least in the first world. That hard work may bring its own stresses and discomfort with it, but compared to daily fear for my life and those of my (hypothetical) children I'll take that.

Quick Reply

Latest