Ovid’s “Metamorphoses” removed from syllabus. Watch

username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Confirmed here (7th paragraph down): http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/op...rful.html?_r=0

Thoughts?

Personally, some students need to get a backbone. The 'real world' is going to be a lot tougher and not everyone will be as accommodating.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never heard of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mpagtches
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has it been removed from the Latin or the maths syllabus?
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I read the Ted Hughes translation of Ovid's Metamorphosis earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been putting it off for ages because I'm not a fan of poetry - a shame since it is quite readable. I wish we'd done it at school instead of Keats.

I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks the Romans and Greeks are boring, irrelevant, history. For anyone knowing little about the ancient cultural influences on our society, discovering the origins of such things as the echo and various expressions and concepts in our society, described in that poetry based on Greek mythology, is very enlightening. There's so much we think is modern and controversial, exquisitely described here in rather exciting stories, written thousands of years ago. We like to think ourselves so much cleverer and wiser than those who went before. So it is a shame to drop such a work because it describes something that happens in real life.

Do they intend to ban students from watching TV and movies because they depict murder?
username2228735
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simes)

Do they intend to ban students from watching TV and movies because they depict murder?
I think we're getting to that stage. I do think that a lot of these students will get a serious wake up call when (if!) they start working.
Riverstar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Metamorphoses is such an important classical text, and you can't complain about the subject matter because it was written in a time rape and such like were the norm
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aceadria)
I think we're getting to that stage. I do think that a lot of these students will get a serious wake up call when (if!) they start working.
They cannot work. That would be cultural appropriation. They have to study.
username2228735
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Good point.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:five:

PS Metamorphoses was about that bloke who turned into an insect, no ?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
:five:

PS Metamorphoses was about that bloke who turned into an insect, no ?
It is full of stories of beings that transform into other beings, or into new states. I can't remember which are his and which aren't as I haven't read it for many years. I think Midas, Myrrha and Phaeton are all in there, and Narcissus.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is full of stories of beings that transform into other beings, or into new states. I can't remember which are his and which aren't as I haven't read it for many years. I think Midas, Myrrha and Phaeton are all in there, and Narcissus.
Ovid's account of the myth of Diana & Actaeon will be banned due to animal cruelty and encouragement of voyeurism.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ovid's account of the myth of Diana & Actaeon will be banned due to animal cruelty and encouragement of voyeurism.
Never mind Greek myths, they should look closer to home and ban Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood (child abuse, murder, the occult) and The Cow Jumped Over the Moon (animal cruelty). The King Arthur myths encourage incest and adultery and should be banned too.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never mind Greek myths, they should look closer to home and ban Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood (child abuse, murder, the occult) and The Cow Jumped Over the Moon (animal cruelty). The King Arthur myths encourage incest and adultery and should be banned too.
damn right. those "fairy tales"... Goldilocks should never have allowed to go near those bears. As for the Sorcerer's Apprentice this promotes unpaid internships and is unacceptable.
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Metamorphoses was about that bloke who turned into an insect, no ?
That was Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis.

One day our excellent and popular maths teacher started the lesson with:

"Don't tell anyone about this, but we're doing something different today. I started reading this book yesterday and I stayed up reading it until I had finished. I thought you would all enjoy it. And none of you need to revise anyway."

We were supposed to be having a revision session because the exams were only a couple of weeks away.

He then spent the rest of the 135 minute triple lesson reading the book to us.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
That was Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis.

One day our excellent and popular maths teacher started the lesson with:

"Don't tell anyone about this, but we're doing something different today. I started reading this book yesterday and I stayed up reading it until I had finished. I thought you would all enjoy it. And none of you need to revise anyway."

We were supposed to be having a revision session because the exams were only a couple of weeks away.

He then spent the rest of the 135 minute triple lesson reading the book to us.
his ass was getting all cross-curricular

:rofl:
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whole story here:
http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion...ore-classrooms

I loved the comments; they gave me some hope for the future.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will this special snowflake girl also ask the Koran and Bible to be banned?
username2228735
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josb)
Whole story here:
http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion...ore-classrooms

I loved the comments; they gave me some hope for the future.
Thank you for this! Didn't see this earlier.
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Omg
Thats such a shame. I'm studying it now
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So I'm guessing they'll be banning the Qu'ran as well then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads