The Student Room Group

Introductions! what brought you to Business? Management? HR?

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of using this thread to allow us to introduce ourselves.

What do you study?

what background do you have in HR, Business or Management?

Do you work in or wish to work in HR? Business? Management? and why?

what are you're future plans in academia and/or in the workplace?

I will start with myself...

I am currently studying an MSc in Human Resource Management.
I have studied Business studies since GCSE level, I progressed into college to study Business Studies, Media Studies, Law and Computing. At University I studied my undergraduate degree in Business and Management with Marketing specialty in the second year but moved into a general Business and Management degree in the final year. After graduating I undertook training in conflict management whilst studying a distance learning Diploma in Payroll systems. Since then, I have now started studying my masters in HRM. I am also a student member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development which is a professional body of HR and sets sets standards in the HR profession. After completing my Masters, I will automatically progress to an Associate Member of the CIPD.

In terms of Workplace, I have held positions from store assistant, marketing manager, general manager and more recently, Change Leadership and Development Manager. I have currently left this position to focus mainly on Academia to enter and progress into large organisations not only in the UK but globally.

Regarding, why i chose this area, well actually, before my A levels, I always wanted to pursue a career in Computing and was always interested in Apple products. by the time I reached college I realised that actually its not something that I want to do, at the same time i was working in a family run business and family influenced my to look into business. Having studied it at GCSE and AS i realised that actually, it is a really interesting subject. At that time it was mainly in Marketing and the practical side of creating marketing communications and how the perceptions of consumer behavior changed as a result. it wasn't until my final degree did I start to wonder in the world of HR, I found it extremely interesting in the psychology of how and why people get motivated. For the most part, I love working with people, and that is what lead me to study my Masters in HR.

So, Looking at the future... I see myself researching into the field of Employee Relations and Development and aim to pursue a Doctorate degree in the field and work at a Strategic level or Managerial Level in a larger organisation or potentially create my own Consultancy type freelance business. In regards to the CIPD, i aim to become a Chartered Member and also develop from an Associate of the Chartered Management Institute to a Chartered Manager,

I am aware that strategic plans however should be kept in a realistic time-frame of around a year. Therefore, it would be interesting to see how this could change and develop in the near future and more importantly how you're goals change.

Please get involved so we can collaborate and develop a platform to develop and learn from eachother! and somewhere to reflect on past experiences and future goals! and not to forget the process of getting there!

Quick Reply

Latest