The Student Room Group

Help on this part? - Case Study Help Needed

Hey Guys;

Well, I am a Biomed student doing a case study (in preparation for my exams coming up in Jan) and found this from a uni past paper. I am anticipating something similar and would like to know what people think all the possible infectious diseases that could be ruled out are (basically answer to question 1, want to do the rest myself).

Patient case study history:

Mariana Basescu is a 25 year old doctoral student. She has been feeling tired and run down for a couple of weeks and over the last day or so has had a slightly raised temperature. She has lost a little weight recently. She has put her fatigue and weight loss down to the stress of her job and irregular meals whilst on working long days in the laboratory and trying to complete her thesis; however with the raise in temperature she agreed to take her friends advice.
Back in July she had spent a month’s voluntary work in Haiti with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) in the earthquake relief effort. In retrospect she felt the stress from that visit may have contributed to her fatigue and weight loss. She had been inoculated for Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Tetanus and Typhoid, but was on no other medication, apart from some aspirin in the last couple of days because of the raised temperature. She is a non-smoker and said she drinks moderately. The practice GP did a dipstick test on a urine sample that showed the presence of some protein and leukocyte esterase, so he sent both urine and faeces samples to microbiology.

1 Month Later after visiting GP:

Mariana returned to her GP one month later, as she was not getting any better. She reported that her urine was now a pale orange colour. The GP’s examination now detected tenderness of lower abdomen and a number of bruises on her legs. On questioning she mentioned that she seemed to bruise very easily at the moment. He requested a further FBC and liver function tests.

Attachments of the test results and question 1 are attached to this thread
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending