The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How odd are my odds?

Essentially what it says on the tin - I have a bit of an odd case with my AS/A2 Levels, and wondered if anyone held the keys to enlightenment with regards to chances of receiving an offer for the undergraduate English Literature programme.

I'll not rattle on too much, but my situation currently looks like this:

- Good number of extracurricular activities
- Considerable public speaking record
- Predicted to soon achieve RAD Grade 6 Ballet (worth UCAS points)

- Strong reference for English Literature
- Good references in other subjects
- (Hopefully) a good personal statement

- 8A*s and 3As at GCSE

- AS Levels:
English Lit - A (full marks in coursework module, only lost eight marks in total)
History - B
German - B (as a foreign language)
Biology - A
Chemistry - B

I am hoping to resit a module of German and possibly Chemistry, but I am worried that this might not do me any favours with St Andrews.

A2 Level Predictions:
English Lit - A*
German - A, including a resit module.
Biology - A
Chemistry - B, but A if I do a resit.

If anyone is any the wiser on the matter, I'd appreciate a cold serving of reality with a nice pinch of internet salt!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Modern History and Languages St Andrews final year student here, was accepted to study English Literature and Languages initially. So long as you do the resit before you apply and that new mark goes into your application as opposed to your old one, you should be ok.

I will say this though: St Andrews has a really weird way of picking their students. I know a lot of people with perfect grades who didn't get offers and the pure English Lit course in particular has around 13 applicants for every individual space. They may wonder why you tanked a little in your AS year compared to your GCSE so instead be prepared to be clear, enthusiastic and individual in your personal statement to draw their attention away from that.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by credodisi
Modern History and Languages St Andrews final year student here, was accepted to study English Literature and Languages initially. So long as you do the resit before you apply and that new mark goes into your application as opposed to your old one, you should be ok.

I will say this though: St Andrews has a really weird way of picking their students. I know a lot of people with perfect grades who didn't get offers and the pure English Lit course in particular has around 13 applicants for every individual space. They may wonder why you tanked a little in your AS year compared to your GCSE so instead be prepared to be clear, enthusiastic and individual in your personal statement to draw their attention away from that.

It's worth looking at the English Department's advice on personal statements https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/english/undergraduates/applying/personalstatement/
particularly the bit about (paraphrased) 'it's OK to mention extra-curriculars but we're more fussed about your academic side'. At the open day we went to the admissions director said 'what we want to see on your PS is three things: subject, subject and subject.' She said they would mainly be interested in extra-curriculars that linked to/demonstrated clear commitment to the subject.
In my experience - incidentally also a final year history and languages student... - St Andrews quite likes a broad range of A-Levels. Five pupils from my school applied in my year and the three who got offers had 2:2 or 2:3 splits in the arts/sciences at A-Level (the two who didn't get offers went to Oxbridge). I also know students who got AABB etc. at AS level, so I wouldn't be overly disconcerted about that.

I would also agree with oldlady that teachers etc. make far too much of extra-curricular activities, so don't waste space on them in the PS when you could be talking about the subject.
Reply 4
Original post by oldlady
It's worth looking at the English Department's advice on personal statements https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/english/undergraduates/applying/personalstatement/
particularly the bit about (paraphrased) 'it's OK to mention extra-curriculars but we're more fussed about your academic side'. At the open day we went to the admissions director said 'what we want to see on your PS is three things: subject, subject and subject.' She said they would mainly be interested in extra-curriculars that linked to/demonstrated clear commitment to the subject.

Yeah, I suppose I wasn't too clear on that. My extracurriculars made me stand out because they were unique and attached to my subject and I knew very few would have the same to put down ie I'd already spent 3 summers living and working in areas related to my hobbies in the country whose language I would be studying.

So basically, be unique and enthusiastic, but be relevant. If you loved something in particular at the Edinburgh Fringe of the RSC Festival, say it. If you worked at a publishing house or in Waterstones, say it. If you edit your school paper, say it. Hell, if you love Don Paterson, say it. It's just about finding one of those things which also makes you stand out.
This has been really useful, especially given my concerns about the resits. It's encouraging to hear that there's evidence of a more individually-based admissions process.

Thanks very much for the speedy replies, and all the best with your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending