Turn on thread page Beta

Natural Sciences (Physical) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Natural Sciences.
    This may be a stupid question but I was just wondering - I did work experience in the Cavendish this year. Do you think I should put this specifically on my PS or be more vague and say, "a research lab in England" (I'm from N.I.) or something, then talk about it in my CAF? Can I even do this? It's just that some of the other universities I'm applying to - Durham, Warwick, Bristol - have reputations for not taking Oxbridge applicants, although I'm not sure if these reputations are deserved. If I've done work experience at the Cavendish, and my application is in early, they'll know I am applying to Cambridge.
    So should I just say where I went? Is there any truth in the idea that they do turn down a lot of Oxbridge applicatants? What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Natural Sciences.
    This may be a stupid question but I was just wondering - I did work experience in the Cavendish this year. Do you think I should put this specifically on my PS or be more vague and say, "a research lab in England" (I'm from N.I.) or something, then talk about it in my CAF? Can I even do this? It's just that some of the other universities I'm applying to - Durham, Warwick, Bristol - have reputations for not taking Oxbridge applicants, although I'm not sure if these reputations are deserved. If I've done work experience at the Cavendish, and my application is in early, they'll know I am applying to Cambridge.
    So should I just say where I went? Is there any truth in the idea that they do turn down a lot of Oxbridge applicatants? What does everyone think?
    Personally, I'd go fo the "major research lab" approach. The importance of your experience is that you've done some in depth research of doing advanced practical work, have demonstrated some competence at it and have enjoyed it. Where you got the experience doesn't really matter. Mentioning Cavendish won't add anything, so there's no need to take a risk.

You could mention in the CAF that you've visited Cavendish and that this gave you a very good impression of the quality of Cambridge facilities. I'm not sure I'd bother though - everyone knows Cambridge has amazing science facilities, and everyone would love to be able to use them. It would sort of be like writing in your CAF "I am interested in Cambridge because of the supervision system". It's true, but it's likely to get a very high mark on the No **** Sherlock scale.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. MAybe I could mention it in passing in a "got to know the place, and a little about the course; the people were very nice" kind of way? Maybe not.
    Anyway, rep for you.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. MAybe I could mention it in passing in a "got to know the place, and a little about the course; the people were very nice" kind of way? Maybe not.
    Anyway, rep for you.
    Thanks.
    If you mention it in the CAF, make it directly relevant to your application - vague or anecdotal information will do you no favours. Rather than saying "got to know about the course", mention a specific feature you are interested in; rather than "got to know the place", explain that you have a very strong interest in practical work (this better be true though, or they could tear you a new one during interview) and then relate it to having been at Cavendish once already and how impressed you were, and how much you'd like the chance to use those facilities on a regular basis.

One area where I think it's quite likely to come in useful is during the "general interview" I believe Cambridge do. This would be an excellent way of showing enthusiasm for the course, or explaining how you first got interested in the course.

nb: Have you asked this on the Cambridge sub-forum? I'm sure lots of people there will know.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for physical sciences this year and didn't have a general interview. In my academic interview though I was grilled about it and asked what specifically I was involved in and why certain experiments were done and how the pieces of equipment worked. So if you're going to write it down, make sure you know enough about it that you can discuss it in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above posters. It's best not to risk your other applications in the hope of impressing Cambridge. CAF would be a good place to mention the Cavendish.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.