The Student Room Group

Girlfriend is insecure, body image issues, ruining her body

Hello

I require help with the title above. My girlfriend who I find extremely attractive and beautiful and I love very much has a very negative body image about herself and she is extremely insecure because of it. She wants to lose weight to the point where she looks like those anorexic models when she is actually quite curvy and well figured. Obviously I am against this and I want her to be happy with herself and keep her health intact because she will undoubtedly become more unhealthy, and in my opinion ruin what a beautiful body she has. She has already starting losing weight. She denies she has any issues.
Reply 1
Also to add, she is below an average weight already and she still calls herself fat. I want to help her but she refuses any help from me or professionals. What can I do?
Apart from trying to make her see she doesn't need to lose weight, I'm not sure what else you can do. I was recently in a similar position to her but managed to stop before it became dangerous. If your girlfriend continues she will need to see a doctor, they will be able to help but I understand it's difficult if she does not want to make an appointment
Does she do any sports or at least enough "physical activity"? If not then introduce her to some.
Reply 4
As long as she's losing weight the proper way (diet and exercise) then I don't see the problem. If she's doing it the lazy way and starving herself without exercise then you need to put her in check.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

I require help with the title above. My girlfriend who I find extremely attractive and beautiful and I love very much has a very negative body image about herself and she is extremely insecure because of it. She wants to lose weight to the point where she looks like those anorexic models when she is actually quite curvy and well figured. Obviously I am against this and I want her to be happy with herself and keep her health intact because she will undoubtedly become more unhealthy, and in my opinion ruin what a beautiful body she has. She has already starting losing weight. She denies she has any issues.

She should probably seek professional help, sounds like body dysmorphia to me and that can be dangerous, if she won't seek help, see a doctor yourself and ask them what to do
It sounds like she is at risk of developing anorexia - if she thinks she's fat but isn't that's a huge problem and could escalate quickly. She probably needs to talk to someone about it professionally; I know it could cause tension now but you don't want this to get any worse... I know what being under-weight can do to people and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Please encourage her to seek help, and keep encouraging until she does.
Original post by Jebedee
As long as she's losing weight the proper way (diet and exercise) then I don't see the problem. If she's doing it the lazy way and starving herself without exercise then you need to put her in check.

Seeing as losing excess weight through dieting and exercise can cause heart failure when your body starts to digest the muscle of the heart to feet itself... yes it can be a huge issue. Just because you're doing something 'the right way' doesn't necessarily make it safe or healthy.
Reply 8
Original post by nverjvlev
Seeing as losing excess weight through dieting and exercise can cause heart failure when your body starts to digest the muscle of the heart to feet itself... yes it can be a huge issue. Just because you're doing something 'the right way' doesn't necessarily make it safe or healthy.

Uhh you're talking about catabolism there. I didn't mean diet as in eating next to nothing. I'm talking high protein, no refined sugars.
Reply 9
Just tell her, that shes good as she is, tell her that weight loss can be very dangerous if it gets too far
Original post by nverjvlev

The "right" diet is eating a lot :smile:

When you are muscular your metabolism goes up and eating little is never a problem in your life!
Hey!!
I think that all you could do is to give her confidence. Because she has a negative mind about her physical appearance you could just support by telling her how beautiful she is like that. Give your honest opinion and hopefully she will listen and feel better. I'm sure there are so many girls like her, she should feel good the way she is.

Quick Reply