sfs1012
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I have recently completed my undergrad master’s from Imperial with no related work experience in the banking industry. I have participated in ECs including starting a small business and attending sport clubs during uni. I did not managed to secure a summer internship in my penultimate year so I was rejected by lots of banks for a FO Grad position during my final year. Now I have recently reapply for a FO Grad position and have already received quite a few rejections. I believe I am not good enough for the grad scheme at an investment bank at this time. Is getting into less competitive commercial banks the best choice for me now as I can acquire experience from there? Then reapply via Experience Hire route into FO roles?

Thanks in advance.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sfs1012)
Hi,

I have recently completed my undergrad master’s from Imperial with no related work experience in the banking industry. I have participated in ECs including starting a small business and attending sport clubs during uni. I did not managed to secure a summer internship in my penultimate year so I was rejected by lots of banks for a FO Grad position during my final year. Now I have recently reapply for a FO Grad position and have already received quite a few rejections. I believe I am not good enough for the grad scheme at an investment bank at this time. Is getting into less competitive commercial banks the best choice for me now as I can acquire experience from there? Then reapply via Experience Hire route into FO roles?

Thanks in advance.
I'd either get yourself to a target masters program in Europe/the UK, preferably a 2 year program which will give you another shot at an internship.

Or, get on an audit grad scheme, stay until you qualify then look to lateral over into IBD.

Or, lastly, get any kind of decent grad job (tech, operations, marketing etc), do that for a few years, then get yourself to a top tier MBA programme where you'll have some brand leverage to apply for Associate positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
apply for summer internship
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why dont you ask your university for advice
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ikhan94)
Why dont you ask your university for advice
Because most universities' careers services are shockingly poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PrincePauper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sfs1012)
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Have you looked into broking or commodity trading houses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Because most universities' careers services are shockingly poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm true, but im pretty sure if you persist them they may help you..
sfs1012
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
I'd either get yourself to a target masters program in Europe/the UK, preferably a 2 year program which will give you another shot at an internship.

Or, get on an audit grad scheme, stay until you qualify then look to lateral over into IBD.

Or, lastly, get any kind of decent grad job (tech, operations, marketing etc), do that for a few years, then get yourself to a top tier MBA programme where you'll have some brand leverage to apply for Associate positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this. I think I might go for the 1st route since there will be student loan available from 2016 onwards for post grad studies, but I guess the course has to be two years to be worthwhile? The thing is, have I lost the privilege of studying at a target uni at undergrad? I really did underestimated the consequence for not having a summer internship.
sfs1012
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
I can't apply unless I study a 2 years post grad course
Angellunatic123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can still apply for grad roles without an internship. Yes it is harder. However, if you can show the merits of what you have done instead and come up with a good explanation of why you did not go for an internship I think you would stand a chance. I did never do an internship and got FO offers from two investment banks. You have to be really good at the tests (they are not hard, just practice) and you should get an interview. In the interview you can explain your reasoning for not having an internship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads