The Student Room Group

I don't like feminism...

I said it. There.
Uh, cool? Maybe you could explain why?

Personally, as a girl living in the West, I don't need feminism - I feel just equal as men. However, I think that's a bit of a generalisation, as not all feminists are angry, narcissistic women demanding more equality. Feminism where it's warranted - when a woman is denied education for being female, for example - is fine by me, and so is masculism - when a man is denied justice for being a man, for example.
Reply 2
Original post by saladays
Uh, cool? Maybe you could explain why?

Personally, as a girl living in the West, I don't need feminism - I feel just equal as men. However, I think that's a bit of a generalisation, as not all feminists are angry, narcissistic women demanding more equality. Feminism where it's warranted - when a woman is denied education for being female, for example - is fine by me, and so is masculism - when a man is denied justice for being a man, for example.

1. I wanted to start an argument.

2. Feminism in a modern state has generally lost its spirit of equality. It has this egalitarian basis now that was not present in the time of suffragettes. In modern society a woman generally has all the same rights as men. As a man I fear brushing against a woman to get past in case I am accused of sexual harassment, it is starting to go the other direction
Original post by sw651
1. I wanted to start an argument.

2. Feminism in a modern state has generally lost its spirit of equality. It has this egalitarian basis now that was not present in the time of suffragettes. In modern society a woman generally has all the same rights as men. As a man I fear brushing against a woman to get past in case I am accused of sexual harassment, it is starting to go the other direction

1) I figured!

2) No, I do definitely understand what you mean. In fact, I agree with you for the most part. I hate 'that' kind of feminism because it is an excuse to victimise yourself and gain sympathy, and I think if there's an increase in 'that' kind of feminism, that creates a whole new problem. However, like I said before, some feminists are feminists because some women are being refused all the rights of a human being in some countries. I'm sure this goes for men in some places, too, but it's still quite a large issue for some women. If everyone treats each other with the same level of respect, I have no issue. If I hit a man, I expect him to hit back.
Reply 4
Original post by saladays
1) I figured!

2) No, I do definitely understand what you mean. In fact, I agree with you for the most part. I hate 'that' kind of feminism because it is an excuse to victimise yourself and gain sympathy, and I think if there's an increase in 'that' kind of feminism, that creates a whole new problem. However, like I said before, some feminists are feminists because some women are being refused all the rights of a human being in some countries. I'm sure this goes for men in some places, too, but it's still quite a large issue for some women. If everyone treats each other with the same level of respect, I have no issue. If I hit a man, I expect him to hit back.

I can justify feminism in developing countries where they struggle to obtain their deserved rights. But in western society it is pointless because for the most part, equality is achieved. When small points are dragged up such as the wage gap, it is just looking for arguments to support an outdated idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending