Who plays the bass guitar? Watch

This discussion is closed.
F3Z
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Ive just bought one and wanted to see if it was worth it. express your views here. :cool:
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F3Z)
Ive just bought one and wanted to see if it was worth it. express your views here. :cool:
its definitly worth it, but becoz i'm not in band or anything, i only play normal guitar.
F3Z
well, me and a friend want to start something up, but we dont have a drummer or a singer.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F3Z)
well, me and a friend want to start something up, but we dont have a drummer or a singer.
well thats always good, does he play guitar? why cant one of you sing?
F3Z
i cant sing, nor can he, and he plays lead.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F3Z)
i cant sing, nor can he, and he plays lead.
oh, umm...what kinda music do you play? i guess the next most important thing is to find soemoen who can sing. (unless its an instrumental band?)

but different kinds of music requires different things
F3Z
rock and nu metal, like greenday and sum 41
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oooh I do, one of few female bass players!
I'm going to play bass for the school swing band next year, but I play rock and other stuff with friends.

Learn how to play slap bass, it's a good way to impress people because most people think bass is easy.
olddeblasio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bass is the way man!

Real men play with their fingers...
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F3Z)
rock and nu metal, like greenday and sum 41
oh right, then you really do need a drumer and a singer. but that doesnt mean you cant practice without them. with a bass guitar, its always a good idea to practice with your lead guitarist though
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fly By)
oh, umm...what kinda music do you play? i guess the next most important thing is to find soemoen who can sing. (unless its an instrumental band?)

but different kinds of music requires different things
Yep, make sure you get someone who can actually sing, not just shout. So many amature bands are ruined by having "their mate" on vocals. The singer is the first person you notice in a band.
F3Z
lol, slap is cool tho.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Start looking for a drummer now. You may never find one.

In fact, I've given up on drummers, as when I finally found a decent one, he didn't want to play jazz :rolleyes:

It's solo all the way.
F3Z
yeah, shouting like slip knot suck, i want to be able to sing along by knowing the word not just shouting something
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F3Z)
yeah, shouting like slip knot suck, i want to be able to sing along by knowing the word not just shouting something

Corey Taylor CAN actually sing though, have you heard Slipknots newest album? Also, he is talented at his 'screaming', as he can do it in a controlled manner, not just mindless screaming.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bass is such a terrible instrument, the massive frets and thick bloody strings, YUCK. Added to the fact its stupidly easy to play. Poor instrument choice mate, should of gone with guitar..
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Bass is such a terrible instrument, the massive frets and thick bloody strings, YUCK. Added to the fact its stupidly easy to play. Poor instrument choice mate, should of gone with guitar..
Hum, I think that shows you don't know much about it. The thing with bass is it's not like playing the guitar where you can play other people's music, often you won't find a line for a song so you have to make on up. Unless you know quite a bit about theory and chords you are gonna end up with a truly awful bass line.
If you just interested in repeating the eighth note in each bar, then it is easy, but to be good and to be able to write your own bass lines takes a bit of tallent. Also if you watch someone like flea from RHCP and listen to his bass lines, they are far from easy to play.
John Paul Jones
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i love playing bass, i love slapping it,

i play guitar normally but also bass
kirbz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My good friend plays the bass, we were thinking of starting a band up cos our other friend can play drums and i can play keyboard.. :rolleyes:
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
Hum, I think that shows you don't know much about it. The thing with bass is it's not like playing the guitar where you can play other people's music, often you won't find a line for a song so you have to make on up. Unless you know quite a bit about theory and chords you are gonna end up with a truly awful bass line.
If you just interested in repeating the eighth note in each bar, then it is easy, but to be good and to be able to write your own bass lines takes a bit of tallent. Also if you watch someone like flea from RHCP and listen to his bass lines, they are far from easy to play.
This is exactly what I mean, my mate goes on about how hard RHCP stuff and RATM stuff is to play, despite never playing the bass in my life I can play the main californication riff and the whole of bombtrack by RATM. Bass is a joke, the 'hard' stuff is a joke if you can play anything moderately hard on the guitar.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (31)
96.88%
No (1)
3.13%

Watched Threads