Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you should play some decent music on the bass rather than crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    perhaps you should play some decent music on the bass rather than crap
    Like what? Try playing a metallica solo on the guitar and then see if the 'hardest bass riff' of all time is anything like the same sort of difficulty..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Like what? Try playing a metallica solo on the guitar and then see if the 'hardest bass riff' of all time is anything like the same sort of difficulty..

well - the bass sounds is used rather mor effectively in soft jazz bands such as The Blue Notes, Stevie Wonder etc...

but it also sounds great in songs such as INXS - need you tonight and Gary Numan's - music for chameleons

i love the slapping bass, perhaps that's why i love the bass sound in certain songs rather than it just providing depth for the rhythm or lead guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    well - the bass sounds is used rather mor effectively in soft jazz bands such as The Blue Notes, Stevie Wonder etc...

but it also sounds great in songs such as INXS - need you tonight and Gary Numan's - music for chameleons

i love the slapping bass, perhaps that's why i love the bass sound in certain songs rather than it just providing depth for the rhythm or lead guitar
    I dunno what this slapping bass *******s is, all I know, in rock bands, bass is the least important instrument, it basically just complements the guitar, you cant hear the notes just 'feel' them...as its bass.

ReputationRep:
    Learn some Jaco (not portrait of tracy) and then we'll be impressed. If you haven't listened to ny jaco, get some.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what this slapping bass *******s is, all I know, in rock bands, bass is the least important instrument, it basically just complements the guitar, you cant hear the notes just 'feel' them...as its bass.

hey - here is a recorded sound of 'slapping the bass'
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: mp3 recorded_slap.mp3 (98.6 KB, 59 views)

ReputationRep:
    Jaco, Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm. Amazing stuff.

I saw Sheehan playing with Steve Vai, and he was actually playing as fast as him :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the normal bass shite to me, like I said, bass is the worst instrument on the planet, end of story.

ReputationRep:
    My boyf and my friend play the bass and the guitar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)

I saw Sheehan playing with Steve Vai, and he was actually playing as fast as him :eek:

yes, but Steve Vai plays so fast and thrashes so fast it ends up just being boring

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the normal bass shite to me, like I said, bass is the worst instrument on the planet, end of story.
    Really. Listen to some real bass players. Not crap like Flea.

The people who think Flea is the best bassist in the world are the same people who think Kirk Hammett is the best guitarist :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Really. Listen to some real bass players. Not crap like Flea.

The people who think Flea is the best bassist in the world are the same people who think Kirk Hammett is the best guitarist :rolleyes:

that is true - listen to some funk or soft jazz for the most amazing bass

ReputationRep:

You are so wrong. Get yourself some shostakovich symphonies and try listening to what the basses do. It is truly amazing

MB

ReputationRep:
    I am learning to play bass...but am finding it quite hard as I also play clarinet and am used to treble cleff not bass cleff so i get my notes confused!!

I am going to practise loads over the summer and hopefully be really good by the time i get to uni...

Any tips on good music to listen to for good bass riffs to try and play along with??

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:

I was going to say Billy Sheehan. He's a good bass player. Good guitar players are Richie Kotzen and Paul Gilbert. And by good I don't mean they can keep a rhythm, I meant they can do probably anything. Just out of interest how good is a drummer like Pat Torpey (if you've heard of him) as I don't really know.

A good vocalist would be someone who sounds like Eric Martin, with some talent.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty decent on guitar, and every time i pick up the bass i think im a legend, but i now have realised im not too good, actually playin the riffs is easy, but keepin the time and rhythm in jazz and funk stuff is bloody hard. Never really need to have that syncopated sense of rhythm with gee-tar

ReputationRep:
    Bass is such a terrible instrument, the massive frets and thick bloody strings, YUCK. Added to the fact its stupidly easy to play. Poor instrument choice mate, should of gone with guitar..
    LMAO...guys I wouldn't get too upset! Anyone who would post such a dumbass comment clearly knows **** all about music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    LMAO...guys I wouldn't get too upset! Anyone who would post such a dumbass comment clearly knows **** all about music.
    I agree I'd like to see him write a bass line on the spot for a piece of jazz.

ReputationRep:
    i love bass guitars, me

ReputationRep:
    bass u can feel aswell as hear.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.