DocWho49
Badges: 19
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If I lived in Witney would David Cameron be my MP or does someone else do those duties while he is PM?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
If I lived in Witney would David Cameron be my MP or does someone else do those duties while he is PM?
Government ministers remain as constituency MPs, even the PM. I regularly write to mine, who is a minister, and receive replies.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What Good bloke says. Cameron remains Member for Witney and is responsible for your concerns.
Gigabit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Indeed the other day, Cameron as an MP asked the Police force serving his constituency not to cut services.
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They have to be careful however not to abuse their powers as the PM.

Only recently did Cameron come under fire for essentially prioritizing his constituencies needs before others. Well, I say prioritizing, for bringing his constituencies needs to the top of the list where he wouldn't have done that to another constituency.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They'll sometimes have their constituency staff do more (like take some surgeries etc) in their absence, but they have essentially the same duties.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
Yea still your MP but all MPs have staff that do most of the day to day work for them as it's impossible to be in 2or 3 places at once

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cameron would be your MP, but he's less likely to be actively involved in constituency business given his other responsibilities and the safe nature of the seat for the Conservatives - you can probably expect his staff to run things more often than they would for a backbencher.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We have a unitary system. The executive is drawn from the legislature. Therefore yes, he remains an MP/representative for Whitney.

In America, you have the the legislature (The House & Senate.. equivalent to MPs although the house is based off population & senate is 2 members per state) and then you have the executive (president) completely separate. He/she is elected via electoral college.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Traditionally voters are very happy with an MP who is Prime Minister.

A large part of constituency work is about getting bureaucrats to take notice of the concerns of little people. Even if the PM doesn't take the surgery, the letters go out on House of Commons (not No 10) notepaper over Cameron's signature. Few bureaucrats have so little interest in their own careers that they fail to take note of what the PM is saying.

Moreover when a PM cannot attend a constituency event, he has the "pull" to get a first-rate stand-in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.39%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.13%
I'm really nervous (50)
19.31%

Watched Threads