becca1999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I have recently been doing my mock exams for history and i came out with a D in British history and an E in French revolution I know the information as in each essay my teachers said that my knowledge is good. However I keep writing it in a GCSE style and I need to link my answer to the question more.

Does anyone have any advice on how to structure my essay and ways in which I should link it to the question to get an A/B ?

Thanks
Z212
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by becca1999)
Hi,
I have recently been doing my mock exams for history and i came out with a D in British history and an E in French revolution I know the information as in each essay my teachers said that my knowledge is good. However I keep writing it in a GCSE style and I need to link my answer to the question more.

Does anyone have any advice on how to structure my essay and ways in which I should link it to the question to get an A/B ?

Thanks
I did the same as well, writing essays GCSE style. I ended up with an E on my first essay back to school. Now I'm getting 20/25 on essays. The key is to refer back to the question at every opportunity you can and also add mini evaluations in your paragraphs then a "big" one at the end of the paragraph (e.g. In terms of......., .......shows that ......so therefore......).
Also,
Point (make a judgement here, what's this paragraph about?)
Evidence (usually a quote or fact)
Explain (explain the evidence; this shows that.....)
Evaluate (is it good or bad; is it important or is it limiting, etc)
Link (link this to the next paragraph)

Things like this take practice and time; it took me 3 months lol. And plus make sure you write all essays at least twice (it helps trust me).
Hope this helps
becca1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Z212)
I did the same as well, writing essays GCSE style. I ended up with an E on my first essay back to school. Now I'm getting 20/25 on essays. The key is to refer back to the question at every opportunity you can and also add mini evaluations in your paragraphs then a "big" one at the end of the paragraph (e.g. In terms of......., .......shows that ......so therefore......).
Also,

Things like this take practice and time; it took me 3 months lol. And plus make sure you write all essays at least twice (it helps trust me).
Hope this helps
[QUOTE=Z212;60872481]I did the same as well, writing essays GCSE style. I ended up with an E on my first essay back to school. Now I'm getting 20/25 on essays. The key is to refer back to the question at every opportunity you can and also add mini evaluations in your paragraphs then a "big" one at the end of the paragraph (e.g. In terms of......., .......shows that ......so therefore......).
Also,

Hope this helps [/QUOTE)
That makes more sense now and hopefully I can now get the structure correct. I'm going to re write the essay and hand it back in and see if i can get a higher grade using your advice.
Thank you
lilsadkitty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is the workload in history like? i wanna take it at a level but I haven't done it at gcse? is that going to put me at disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
becca1999
Rep:
?
The workload isn't that bad for History however you need to be prepared for a lot of reading and note taking as that has been what the majority of my workload has been.
The fact you haven't done it at GCSE won't particularly put you at a disadvantage as the material is new so isn't the same as GCSE for instance at GCSE i did the causes of WW1, Hitlers Germany and the roaring 20's. At A-Level i'm doing the french revolution and Winston Churchill as war time prime minister. The only slight disadvantage you may have will be that you haven't had any practice of how to write your answers so it will just be a case of you practicing the technique more. I would recommend you take it as I really enjoy it and I'm sure you will do too

Hope that helped

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?