The Student Room Group

Coping with mental health problems at university

I wonder if anyone would mind just sharing their experiences of how they coped/are coping at university with their disability, specifically mental health problems. Like how has the uni been, other students, getting support, surviving day-to-day etc.

Sorry I don't really have any specific questions. This topic is probably far too vague! I just really want to discover how people have found it in general. Living with mental health issues is such a strain in itself anyway, let alone with the added pressure of going to uni, so it would be good to have some inside info.
I don't know if this answers your question but I can only speak from a very small amount of experience (I have suffered from depression since just before I dropped out). My experience has been that it has been much easier to talk to friends about my problems. I have had to make a conscious effort not to appear depressed where I could have been seen by the department I was trying to transfer to before I dropped out as they specifically said that they would not let me transfer if I was depressed. I am so annoyed with the way that I was treated by that department that I am considering pursuing a discrimination case against them to stop the same thing happening to anyone else. I would say that you should confide in a couple of friends as they will be your best source of support but don't worry too much as you will not be alone. I know I worry about starting at a completely different uni in October as nobody will know me or know about my problems. I just hope that I am over the depression by then.
Reply 2
What sort of mental health problems are you talking about? It makes it kinda hard to know who this topic is relevant to.
I suffer from cyclothymia, and have actually found it easier to tell no-one. I imagine that I will cope at Uni as well as I do now (I have refused medication), although people constantly banging on my door could get annoying (at home people stay away when I'm down).
Because I refuse to take any additional help because of my cyclothymia (indeed, I am unaware of what help would be available), I can't really help you about support. But day to day, consider what will be different from home when you are at Uni and try and picture how that will affect your (if indeed you are concerned about yourself) condition.
Hope I helped!

Latest