Louisgstq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How can enzymes have an optimum temperature significantly below denaturing temperature? Surely, due to collision theory, a higher temperature will always increase rate of reaction right up until the enzymes denature?
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Louisgstq)
How can enzymes have an optimum temperature significantly below denaturing temperature? Surely, due to collision theory, a higher temperature will always increase rate of reaction right up until the enzymes denature?
The bonds in the enzyme's active site begin to break under increases of temperature. These bonds in the active site are what hold its shape - the complementary shape, which allows the substrate to fit into it thus making the enzyme work. When these bonds break, the enzyme's tertiary structure begins to change and it makes the active site change slightly. Therefore increasing the temperature will cause more bonds to break, changing the active site's shape more and more.

The enzyme denatures when the substrate cannot fit into the enzyme.
Louisgstq
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
The bonds in the enzyme's active site begin to break under increases of temperature. These bonds in the active site are what hold its shape - the complementary shape, which allows the substrate to fit into it thus making the enzyme work. When these bonds break, the enzyme's tertiary structure begins to change and it makes the active site change slightly. Therefore increasing the temperature will cause more bonds to break, changing the active site's shape more and more.

The enzyme denatures when the substrate cannot fit into the enzyme.
So, the more and more the shape of an enzyme's active site is changed, the less products that enzyme can catalyse per unit time?
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So, the more and more the shape of an enzyme's active site is changed, the less products that enzyme can catalyse per unit time?
Pretty much

The enzyme becomes less effective as the temperature increases after its optimum.
Louisgstq
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
Pretty much

The enzyme becomes less effective as the temperature increases after its optimum.
In that case, why is it not the case that every enzyme has the same (or similar) optimum temperature? I mean, polypeptides all have roughly the same strength of bond.
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In that case, why is it not the case that every enzyme has the same (or similar) optimum temperature? I mean, polypeptides all have roughly the same strength of bond.
The primary structure of different enzymes are made up of different chains of amino acids. Thus giving each enzyme different properties, as the secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures are dependent on the primary structure. A different sequence of amino acids will give different shapes.

Due to the different sequences and numbers of amino acids - there will be different quantities of the different bonds. The types of bonds are - ionic, disulphide and hydrogen. Each bond will require different amount of energy, and so having different quantities of these three bonds will give different optimum temperatures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.4%
No (175)
34.18%

Watched Threads