The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get into medicine?

In gcse
I got poor grades
1 A overall, 3 B's and the rest c's ,as I didn't listen to the advice to revise at least a couple of months before the exams so I revised about 2 weeks before the exams. I didn't take them seriously and I didn't really know what I wanted to do afterwards.
I did double award science's.
Core science - I got an overall C but individually 2 C's and 2 B's.
Additional science - I got an A* in biology, a A in phyiscs and the CAT and a B in chemistry.I got a B in math and a B in English language. I am currently taking Chemistry, physic's and math at A-Level and now I am determined to study medicine. I am currently in year 12 and am looking for work experience. I want to ask your opinion about my chances to study medicine (specifically about what I need to boost my application). Also how would i go about doing a foundation course in medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by adamali703
In gcse
I got poor grades
1 A overall, 3 B's and the rest c's ,as I didn't listen to the advice to revise at least a couple of months before the exams so I revised about 2 weeks before the exams. I didn't take them seriously and I didn't really know what I wanted to do afterwards.
I did double award science's.
Core science - I got an overall C but individually 2 C's and 2 B's.
Additional science - I got an A* in biology, a A in phyiscs and the CAT and a B in chemistry.I got a B in math and a B in English language. I am currently taking Chemistry, physic's and math at A-Level and now I am determined to study medicine. I am currently in year 12 and am looking for work experience. I want to ask your opinion about my chances to study medicine (specifically about what I need to boost my application). Also how would i go about doing a foundation course in medicine?

You do have a chance for sure, but I would recommend applying to medical schools that don't value GCSE grades as highly/ at all.

You've chosen decent A-levels for medicine, so provided you achieve AAA (or, in some circumstances AAB will suffice), then you have a good chance.

In order to make your application more competitive, try and do some medical work experience/ shadowing (e.g. exhaust all medical contacts you have, be it your parents, your friends' parents, local hospital). Try and see some surgery, volunteer in the local care home. Show leadership skills by starting up a sports team, etc.

Not quite sure what you mean by foundation course. In terms of undergraduate medicine, foundation courses (i.e. A104 courses) are designed for students that do not have science A-levels, which would not be appropriate for you, given that you're doing two! I You may be referring to postgraduate foundation training though?

Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending