little one
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
anyone....

...is the constitution of the USA an obstacle to effective government?

helppppppppppppp
naz707
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh ive doen this essay, hinderacne or aid to effective governance, right>?

YES-the second amendment "right to bear arms" has enabled citizens to own firearms.

YES-Electoral College system is no longer fair, with candidates getting below 50% e.g. Gore/Bush 2000

YES-It states the usage of midterms which nowadays cause gridlock and partisanship. e.g. 1995 between Republican dominated Congress under Newt Gingrich and Democart President Bill Clinton head of the executive.

NO-Founding fathers wrote constutution so amendments were not to easy or too hard to pass. Meaning right issues get passed. E.g. 17th amendment meant the Senate was to be directly elected, HoL still not.

NO-Judicial review through the enablement of the Marbury vs. Madison has meant the contitution is open to interpretation of judges E.g.“cruel and unusual punishments” in the Bill Of Rights, may well have been seen to include torture, however, nowadays many have interpreted them to mean the usage of the electric chair.

(NO=Aid YES=Hinderance)
little one
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi thanks for that!

Could u develop the first 2 points.. im not sure how they link with the question

When i was looking at it i thought about checks and balances no?
naz707
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
US Constitution has been a hindrance to effective governance in the USA is the flawed Electoral College System as a means of indirectly electing the President of the USA. As during the time of the forefathers the Electoral College represented the stability of a two party system, the maintaining of a separation of powers and the federal characters of the nation. However, this aspect of the constitution is certainly out of date as it enables Presidential candidates who may have gained below 50% of the popular vote or even have lost on the popular vote to their rival to win on the basis that they have picked up more electoral college votes. As seen in the 2000 Presidential Election in which Republican George W Bush became President even though he had 0.5% less votes cast than Democrat rival Al Gore. Clearly showing that the nation which introduced modern day democracy is unable to practice it, with the majority winner losing out.

Additionally, the US Constitution has been a hindrance to effective governance in the USA, due the 2nd Amendment; Right to Bear Arms. As previously arms were used as a means to secure more land in the Westward expansion and to an extent the civil war. However, nowadays such arms are not needed for “militias”, especially as most Americans are urban residents. This in turn has led to many Americans feeling that the US Constitution being amended has meant governments find it difficult to amend and therefore cannot protect its citizens from regular shootings in schools and other locations. However, even though it has been argued that the US Constitution has been preventive in enabling change, the support the second amendment gains is immense, with many Republicans supporting the right to bear arms and groups such as the National Rifle Association having an annual turnover going into millions is able to use is fund as influence.
helpfulgezzer22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?