The Student Room Group

CBAT Aptitude testing - question reference boards A/B

Good afternoon all,

My question relates back to when I sat my CBAT for WSOp in September 2015.

There were around 30 of us sitting the tests and around 80% were going for WSOp.

When the Aptitude officer came in to brief us and inform us of candidate numbers and which console we'd be sitting at etc, he began reeling off which tests we would be sitting and for what role.

As a WSOp candidate, I was expecting to sit board B (having read previous threads on TSR - I assumed this was the case), however I believe it turned out all WSOp candidates actually ending up sitting the 'Officer WSOp' tests (Now before anyone questions me - I appreciate and know their is no direct WSOp Officer role'.

This led to all WSOp candidates looking rather worried and questioning the Aptitude Officer to see whether we'd all be registered for the wrong set of tests.

Now; I appreciate the tests are all the same and that potential SNCO ATC candidates undertake a shorter version of the tests (they did on my sitting anyway).

So, was there a change in what role sits which board? I must admit I expected to sit the 5 hour tests along with the SNCO ATC applicants.

I'm not here for a moan or to indeed question the RAF's CBAT, its merely a thread of wonder to see whether they had changed the tests.

Best regards!!
And just to add; whether any other recent WSOp candidates had the same thing reference sitting an 'Officer WSOp' test.

Thanks.
I am not sure anyone here will have an answer for you. If you really want a clarification then I recommend emailing OASC directly to ask.

Just to confirm, as you have already mentioned, the difference between board A and B is a handful of tests.
I recently sat the CBAT and found that the potential WSOp's in the group sat the exact same tests as the potential Pilot's. All finished at a similar time.

Also with regards to the 'WSOp Officer' tests - I was given both a WSOp and a WSO score which were different from each other.

This is just going from my recent experience.

Hope this helps?
Original post by ChristianR354
I recently sat the CBAT and found that the potential WSOp's in the group sat the exact same tests as the potential Pilot's. All finished at a similar time.

That must be a recent change in the past few months then.
Original post by 0902
Good afternoon all,

My question relates back to when I sat my CBAT for WSOp in September 2015.

There were around 30 of us sitting the tests and around 80% were going for WSOp.

When the Aptitude officer came in to brief us and inform us of candidate numbers and which console we'd be sitting at etc, he began reeling off which tests we would be sitting and for what role.

As a WSOp candidate, I was expecting to sit board B (having read previous threads on TSR - I assumed this was the case), however I believe it turned out all WSOp candidates actually ending up sitting the 'Officer WSOp' tests (Now before anyone questions me - I appreciate and know their is no direct WSOp Officer role'.

This led to all WSOp candidates looking rather worried and questioning the Aptitude Officer to see whether we'd all be registered for the wrong set of tests.

Now; I appreciate the tests are all the same and that potential SNCO ATC candidates undertake a shorter version of the tests (they did on my sitting anyway).

So, was there a change in what role sits which board? I must admit I expected to sit the 5 hour tests along with the SNCO ATC applicants.

I'm not here for a moan or to indeed question the RAF's CBAT, its merely a thread of wonder to see whether they had changed the tests.

Best regards!!

They change the tests all the time, when I went through everyone sat the full battery of tests for every role. You were given scores for Pilot, Int An, ABM, ATC, WSOp (and any others i may have missed) regardless of what role you had applied for.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you passed for WSOp which is pretty low score if i remember rightly (80/180?) as they are trying to catch up from their mistakes with WSOp's from 2010!

Also with regards to the 'WSOp Officer' tests - I was given both a WSOp and a WSO score which were different from each other.

This is just going from my recent experience.

Hope this helps?

Original post by AlphaTango
They change the tests all the time, when I went through everyone sat the full battery of tests for every role. You were given scores for Pilot, Int An, ABM, ATC, WSOp (and any others i may have missed) regardless of what role you had applied for.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you passed for WSOp which is pretty low score if i remember rightly (80/180?) as they are trying to catch up from their mistakes with WSOp's from 2010!

Thanks for your replies gents,

ChristianR354,

They included WSO? Do you mind how long ago you sat your CBAT?

AlphaTango, thank you. That answers my question. The WSOp score when I sat it in Sep'15 was 90/180 - sadly I didn't make the cut this time. However, here's to hoping more success in 2016 (albeit as long as other requirements haven't changed).
Original post by 0902
Thanks for your replies gents,

ChristianR354,

They included WSO? Do you mind how long ago you sat your CBAT?

AlphaTango, thank you. That answers my question. The WSOp score when I sat it in Sep'15 was 90/180 - sadly I didn't make the cut this time. However, here's to hoping more success in 2016 (albeit as long as other requirements haven't changed).

Yeah that's right, they gave me a WSO (Nav) score. It did say 'Not currently recruiting' next to this score, however. Strange though, as I wasn't given a WSO score in previous CBAT attempts. Maybe they're expending the need to recruit them in the near future? Who knows.

I sat them last Monday.

Cheers
Yeah that's right, they gave me a WSO (Nav) score. It did say 'Not currently recruiting' next to this score, however. Strange though, as I wasn't given a WSO score in previous CBAT attempts. Maybe they're expending the need to recruit them in the near future? Who knows.

I sat them last Monday.

Cheers

Ah, that's very interesting! Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely, I sat my in early Sep'15 and didn't have a WSO score tab.

Maybe with the introduction of new A/C - the requirements for WSO's may change, unless GR4 WSO's are used?

Rather interesting............

Quick Reply

Latest