Building Surveying Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hooty McBoob
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Will be doing this in september, just wondering if there is anybody who is doing/has done this course?
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my dad's a quantity surveyor and he's had a couple of students on placement from hallam with him. i think on your placement year you can earn between 16-20K and they someimes offer people jobs for when they leave uni.
Hooty McBoob
cheers, thanks for the info!
Greendaygirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im doing a quantity surveying degree at Reading I did have a look around hallam and i liked it but i prefer the course at Reading. They have a 3 year structure where quantity surveyors, building surveyors and construction managers do the same 2 years and in the final year you can choose the pathway you want to follow out of the 3. Anyway a career in the construction industry is excellent due to shortages at the moment and you will have no trouble walking straight into a job. ITs vvery social like me !
Hooty McBoob
I wanted to go to Reading too, but I also wanted to do a placement year and it seemed like it would be harder to do that there. would you happen to know anyone thats done one?
Greendaygirl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hooty McBoob)
I wanted to go to Reading too, but I also wanted to do a placement year and it seemed like it would be harder to do that there. would you happen to know anyone thats done one?

You can do the placement year in reading the Tutours said if you have organised it and you really want to they wont stop you although not very many people do.
Hooty McBoob
O.K, do you reckon it would be hard (or harder) to get a job if you dont do a placement though?
Greendaygirl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
O.K, do you reckon it would be hard (or harder) to get a job if you dont do a placement though?
I dont think it really makes a difference as people are in demand in the construction industry. So people can quite easily go straight into a job. As long as you get a decent degree and if its acredited by some institute its ok.
If you a placement you put everything you learn into practice. Where as if you dont go on the placement year you jump straight in after completing your degree.
Hooty McBoob
O.K, thanks! Whats it like at Reading btw?
Greendaygirl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
O.K, thanks! Whats it like at Reading btw?
What does btw mean?
luce20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
By the way =btw
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (154)
45.43%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.57%