how to write an essay on something u know nothing about?

Watch
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i have an essay due in a few days for some random course which i didn't even want to do. i only showed up for half the classes and for the ones i did go to i couldn't follow what was going on. i have no idea on what to write in the essay and I'm pressed for time as i have exams next week. i managed to bs my way through the introduction but have no idea what to write for the content. anyone know how to quickly write/bs ur way through a ~1500 word essay on something u know nothing about? as long as i don't get a 0 I'm fine i want just like 30%.

ps. this isn't for a level history it just history is the most relevant to the essay and i couldn't think of anywhere else to put it
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
i have an essay due in a few days for some random course which i didn't even want to do. i only showed up for half the classes and for the ones i did go to i couldn't follow what was going on. i have no idea on what to write in the essay and I'm pressed for time as i have exams next week. i managed to bs my way through the introduction but have no idea what to write for the content. anyone know how to quickly write/bs ur way through a ~1500 word essay on something u know nothing about? as long as i don't get a 0 I'm fine i want just like 30%.

ps. this isn't for a level history it just history is the most relevant to the essay and i couldn't think of anywhere else to put it
You need to acquire the basics from somewhere... wiki, study notes, historical websites. Then choose an angle on the question and focus on that.
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I fully agree with "ageshallnot" , you need a starting point, some background knowledge. The key for an essay is that you have got to preferably have some kind of question or issue that needs discussing. You can start from scratch and just explain an event and the effects of it but in principle you need to be discussing an issue/event with two sides.
Its pretty self evident in regards to structure: Intro, main bit, conclusion.
However what is not so evident to some people is that depending on the medium you are writing your essay on (on a computer or with a pen and paper) you can add little drawings/pictures/diagrams which add evidence to your essay and at least make it seem like you know that you are talking about!

I must also stress that the conclusion is an important factor, I think during my GCSE history exam (seen as this is the history section of the forum) last year (all on the Battle of Britain, I guess it was the 75th anniversary, so that was nice!) I put something to the effect of: "In conclusion the Battle of Britain was indeed Britain's finest hour-the German high command's inability to use air power or indeed naval power effectively that eventually resulted in their loss. Those "few" stood on the brink of defeat and fought back, from then on no more land would be gained by German forces in Western Europe, it was the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany."
-That's not a great example but it needs to convey the importance of an event, it needs to be powerful and effective-really grasping the issue by the proverbial horns and speaking as though your opinions are fact.
(My history teacher didn't like assumptions, he said that you need to be strong and confident when answering, be convinced of your own argument.)

So in conclusion, Have atr least a minimal understanding of the issue in question, if posible use tables of figures or diagrams and make your conclusion really effective.

I hope I helped a bit,

Sam
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You need to acquire the basics from somewhere... wiki, study notes, historical websites. Then choose an angle on the question and focus on that.
its just... the topic is so dense... and there's limited information on the internet as it so boring that no one can even b bothered to write about it online tbh
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathasatail)
I fully agree with "ageshallnot" , you need a starting point, some background knowledge. The key for an essay is that you have got to preferably have some kind of question or issue that needs discussing. You can start from scratch and just explain an event and the effects of it but in principle you need to be discussing an issue/event with two sides.
Its pretty self evident in regards to structure: Intro, main bit, conclusion.
However what is not so evident to some people is that depending on the medium you are writing your essay on (on a computer or with a pen and paper) you can add little drawings/pictures/diagrams which add evidence to your essay and at least make it seem like you know that you are talking about!

I must also stress that the conclusion is an important factor, I think during my GCSE history exam (seen as this is the history section of the forum) last year (all on the Battle of Britain, I guess it was the 75th anniversary, so that was nice!) I put something to the effect of: "In conclusion the Battle of Britain was indeed Britain's finest hour-the German high command's inability to use air power or indeed naval power effectively that eventually resulted in their loss. Those "few" stood on the brink of defeat and fought back, from then on no more land would be gained by German forces in Western Europe, it was the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany."
-That's not a great example but it needs to convey the importance of an event, it needs to be powerful and effective-really grasping the issue by the proverbial horns and speaking as though your opinions are fact.
(My history teacher didn't like assumptions, he said that you need to be strong and confident when answering, be convinced of your own argument.)

So in conclusion, Have atr least a minimal understanding of the issue in question, if posible use tables of figures or diagrams and make your conclusion really effective.

I hope I helped a bit,

Sam
our teacher didn't even give us a title he just said make your own question :/ there aren't really any diagrams on the internet plus the question I've chosen doesn't really lend well to diagrams.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
its just... the topic is so dense... and there's limited information on the internet as it so boring that no one can even b bothered to write about it online tbh
our teacher didn't even give us a title he just said make your own question :/ there aren't really any diagrams on the internet plus the question I've chosen doesn't really lend well to diagrams.
Looks like you're a bit stuck? What's the topic?
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Looks like you're a bit stuck? What's the topic?
Religion during The medieval period within Spain
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Religion during The medieval period within Spain
Google 'religion in medieval spain'.

And remember... No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads