Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who else thought unit 4 was a *****?
    Thought unit 5 was ok.

ReputationRep:
    They were both *****es. The multiple choice section of unit 4 was alot harder than i expected. I also chose the rueters question which was ok but no gr8.

Hopefully they move down the grade boundaries!

Which question did u do for unit 4 and 5?

ReputationRep:
    Yep agree,

Unit 4 was harder than expected. Multiple choice can screw u up proper in that exam.

Unit 5 wasnt that bad becos u can use the diagrams n stuff to ur help however paper can still screw u up.

I think the boundaries for unit 4 gna be like 50/80 and maybe 40/60 for unit 5

ReputationRep:
    Just did unit 5A on labour markets (I did the section on male and female wages). Hmmm, i am not sure what to think really. It was decent - at first I thought it went utterly crap - but after discussing it with others, I feel it went ok. But could, and should, have been better.

ReputationRep:
    i did them today i know i mucked up on a couple of the multiple choice i got really confused especially with the one about how the output profit and price changes if blah blah blah...
    i tried drawing diagrams to help me but i just got more confused! lol..

i didnt think it was that much of a ***** but maybe thats cz i only looked at like 1/2 other past papers lol and i never actually did them so cant compare. i did the reuters one too!!! i thought it was *ok* but will hav 2 wait and see.
    did the women and wages thingie one for unit 5A which i thought was ok as well i hope i discussed the right things.

watever i only need a C this year maybe thats y im not panicking. lol whereas last year i was in floods of tears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rixius)
    Who else thought unit 4 was a *****?
    Thought unit 5 was ok.
    Unit 5 was great, did the wage differential one. Unit 4 OH MY GOD how bad did I run out of time in that one? Wrote a piffly three sides for the data response question

ReputationRep:
    Am i the only one here who done Unit 5b - Development economics?

That was a hard paper!!!

Some of the multiple choice questions on unit 4 were soooooooooo annoyin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)

That was a hard paper!!!

Uh huh seems liek it? Where are all the A2 economists. Oh wait. I shouldn't be on here. I have physics tomorrow morning

ReputationRep:
    hey people,

was just wondering if anyone of you did the reuteurs question and remember what all the parts of the question asked.

Plus what did people get for oliopolist who didn't want to reduce price and go into a trade war: would he do cost plus pricing?

Plus what about the lesiure company acquirning hotels: conglomerate? coz they are two unrelated industries?

For 2nd question in unit 5, why did unemployment rates chnage between age groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Unit 5 was great, did the wage differential one. Unit 4 OH MY GOD how bad did I run out of time in that one? Wrote a piffly three sides for the data response question

mee too i ran out of time big time...... unit 4 was hard and long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    mee too i ran out of time big time...... unit 4 was hard and long!
    Bad pun.

Ok if it wasn't a pun when I take back what I just said and admit that I have a dirty mind.

ReputationRep:
    4 the oligopolist 1 i put marginal cost, hotel 1 i put horizontal!!!

the only thing i can remeber from the ruters question

two ineffiicencies: allocative and productive

pricing and nonpricing policies: predatory, advertising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    i did them today i know i mucked up on a couple of the multiple choice i got really confused especially with the one about how the output profit and price changes if blah blah blah...
    i tried drawing diagrams to help me but i just got more confused! lol...
    yeh i found uni four really hard too, i dont think i did too well in the multiple choice, in the question u were talking about i think u work it out as follows: the monopoly produces at a profit maximising output where MR=MC they said that the marginal cost doesn't change only the average cost increases so they produce at the same level of output but profits decrease and price stays they same, i drew a diagram to go with it.

unit 5 i did the question about wages differentials and found it better than i had expected but thought it was quite a touchy issue and tried hard not to sound racist in my response.

good luck to anyone doing the physics 4&5 tomorrow, i have a clash between physics and business studies! yeay for me! i really should go and get on now!

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for unit 4: perfect competition question. was it alloactive efficent in long run only?

Wid unit 5 question 2:

what did people get for differences in unemployment rates between age groups?

two ways in which government could reduce unequal opportunites?

ReputationRep:
    I did Industrial and Development Economics today.

Here's my answers to the multiple choice I can remember:

Hotels was horizontal integration since they were both hotel firms.

RPI - 1.5% meant they could keep efficiency savings above 1.5% for profit.

Advertising in the chewing gum market made it less contestable.

Oligopolist with constant average costs used cost plus pricing to keep prices the same even if output changed.

A firm under perfect competition was allocatively efficient only in the long run.

When the monopolist was taxed to increase only average costs then price/output remained constant while profits fell.

I can't remember the other questions, if someone posts them I'll probably be able to remember my answers though. The second part I did the Reuters bit, I nearly ran out of time and had to write so fast I hope the examiner can read my writing! Overall I think I did alright and might have gotten an A.

Good news though, economics tends to have low grade boundaries anyway, as you can see from last years examiners report: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...ers_Report.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dormonkey)
    yeh i found uni four really hard too, i dont think i did too well in the multiple choice, in the question u were talking about i think u work it out as follows: the monopoly produces at a profit maximising output where MR=MC they said that the marginal cost doesn't change only the average cost increases so they produce at the same level of output but profits decrease and price stays they same, i drew a diagram to go with it.

unit 5 i did the question about wages differentials and found it better than i had expected but thought it was quite a touchy issue and tried hard not to sound racist in my response.

good luck to anyone doing the physics 4&5 tomorrow, i have a clash between physics and business studies! yeay for me! i really should go and get on now!
    ooh see thats so clever im a bit stupid and i DIDNT READ THE QUESTION and forgot that MC stayed the same so i shifted it with AC so i got the wrong answer boohoo... hopefully ill get a few marks for diagrams and definitions anyway....

ur so right about trying not to sound racist in the response!! i was like 'i reaaaalllyyy hope the examinor doesnt interpret wat im saying the wrong way arg!'

overall a good paper tho i hope!! but my hand was dying by the end of unit for and i had to stop mid sentence!!! im a bit worried cz every1 is saying they found the paper a ***** and im worried that theres sumthing wrong with me cz i thought it was normal oh well...

wow ur from the UAE half my family's there !!! are u coming to the UK to go to uni?

ReputationRep:

That was a hard paper!!!

meeee i did development! I guess i found it harder than industrial because everything is so damn overlapping so its hard to keep structure in my answers

ReputationRep:
    hhehehe and anyone find it hilarious that edexcel managed to screw up the key and make everyone change it!

ReputationRep:
    lol! which question did u choose (4 development)? and how dya find it?

ReputationRep:
    lol! which question did u choose (4 development)? and how dya find it?
    hmmm god i can hardly remember, i have this thing where i can hardly remember exams after because i guess my memory represses it or something hehe ...hmmm i seem to remember debt forgivness at the end, o yea all on debt burdens in latin america. I seemed to keep rewriting the same thing over and over and over!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.