The Student Room Group

First Car Crash and confused

Im 18, and just had a Car crash and have been driving for less than 3 months. I've had an accident (luckily no one was hurt although I have experienced some whiplash which I don't know if i should go to the hospital). Although I do believe I wasn't at fault.

I was driving down a main road when a car came sprung out of nowhere out of the junction (I gave no indication that I was giving way or turning). I tried braking but I still hit her car. After the crash the lady driving the other car said that it was my fault as I hit the side (towards the back of her car). One passerby (who didn't witness the crash) told me not to listen to her or let her get in to my head. I took pictures of mine and the other lady's car.

Im just thankful no one got hurt but since Im a new driver I've been told that I could get the full blame. Also since I was on the main road and not speeding (which my black box should have record of) shouldn't I always have priority since she was at a junction.

Any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure how it works out there in UK. But let me analyse what you just said. You mean to say, you were cruising on the main road when a car came straight out of a T-Junction into the main road? And then you crashed into it?
Reply 2
If you were on the main road and she was waiting to emerge, then she's at fault
Reply 3
Exchange insurance details with her.

Go online and look her up on the electoral register.

Pay to find out where she lives and get her address.

?????

Profit.
Original post by Hamoody96
I'm not sure how it works out there in UK. But let me analyse what you just said. You mean to say, you were cruising on the main road when a car came straight out of a T-Junction into the main road? And then you crashed into it?

I was driving on a 30mph road and then the other car came out from the side road trying to go on the main road (which I was driving on). I braked but ended up hitting her still. Hopefully that makes it more clearer.
Original post by Zuki
If you were on the main road and she was waiting to emerge, then she's at fault

That's what I thought and so did my friend, but she made out like it was my fault because she already went.

Tbh, im still in shock and I don;t know if I want to drive again.
Reply 6
Original post by IWokeUpLikeThis
That's what I thought and so did my friend, but she made out like it was my fault because she already went.

Tbh, im still in shock and I don;t know if I want to drive again.

She's talking rubbish. You had the priority and she should have waited, don't let her make you think it's your fault. Don't worry about it, stuff like this happens to the best of us, keep your head up :smile:
Like this? (I don't actually think this is helpful, but it gave me an excuse not to work. You are the blue car.)

Spoiler

If it happened in the way you describe, then the other driver is certainly at fault. Whiplash will usually resolve by itself, but if you're feeling particularly sore in a couple of days' time, I would go and see your GP as they'll be able to give you some medication/stretches to help with the pain.
Original post by SosbanFach
Like this? (I don't actually think this is helpful, but it gave me an excuse not to work. You are the blue car.)

Spoiler

Yes it was similar, but the red car was on the other side road (on the right rather than the left) and was entering my lane to go on in the same direction I was.
Thank you all for the help :-)
Yes it was similar, but the red car was on the other side road (on the right rather than the left) and was entering my lane to go on in the same direction I was.

Oh, OK. It makes no difference to who was at fault: her. She clearly wasn't paying attention, and definitely should have given way.
i think you have to report the accident to the police within 24 hours ?
Original post by the bear
i think you have to report the accident to the police within 24 hours ?

I don't think that's quite it:

If you are the driver of a vehicle and are involved in a road traffic collision that meets the criteria listed above your legal requirements are:
* Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable time,
* Give your name and address, vehicle registration number, and details of the owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for these details.
* If you do not exchange those at the scene you must report the collision at a police station or to a police officer as soon as possible and within 24 hours in any case

Since they already exchanged details, I think they might just be able to do it through the insurance company.. *click*
Im 18, and just had a Car crash and have been driving for less than 3 months. I've had an accident (luckily no one was hurt although I have experienced some whiplash which I don't know if i should go to the hospital). Although I do believe I wasn't at fault.

I was driving down a main road when a car came sprung out of nowhere out of the junction (I gave no indication that I was giving way or turning). I tried braking but I still hit her car. After the crash the lady driving the other car said that it was my fault as I hit the side (towards the back of her car). One passerby (who didn't witness the crash) told me not to listen to her or let her get in to my head. I took pictures of mine and the other lady's car.

Im just thankful no one got hurt but since Im a new driver I've been told that I could get the full blame. Also since I was on the main road and not speeding (which my black box should have record of) shouldn't I always have priority since she was at a junction.

Any advice?

Scientifically you are right.
I hope you didn't go above the speed limit. There's a stop sign or give way sign on the minor road, the lady should have stopped and looked at both ends before merging into the main road. Don't worry you haven't made any mistake. It is just she is taking advantage of you being a new driver so that its easier blame you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Any advice?

Was this in Holbeck (Leeds)? The traffic was mental
Original post by digitalangel18
Was this in Holbeck (Leeds)? The traffic was mental

Lol, no. The crash I was in happened in a smaller part of Birmingham but I doubt my crash was as serious as the one you mentioned. My crash wasn't bad, but if I didn't brake the crash would have been a lot worse. The crash happened just quickly, I dunno if the accident I was in sounds overly exaggerated but there was quite a bump. Sorry, if I made it out to be deadly, I just don't really know how to describe it since it happened quite quickly.
Reply 17
You should go to the hospital and report all sorts of injuries: broken bones, whiplash, headaches, blindness, frostbite, death, cancer, miscarriage. It was her fault so you'll get a big payout from insurance if you do that. The more injury you claim the better
Car crash and have been driving for less than 3 months

I do believe I wasn't at fault

a car came sprung out of nowhere

out of the junction

I tried braking

Sell your car please
Always someone else to blame.

Quick Reply

Latest