Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.matthewrichardson.com/final.htm

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I watched all of that to see it foiled by my pop-up blockers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew)
    We were just discussing yesterday how you seemed to have won your BA in Engineering on the strength of buying your college a new kitchen. I was most impressed.

btw, RxB, the pop up says (in large, multi-coloured writing):

1 EXAM
    SATURDAY 8th WEEK 12:30

MERTON STREET

BE THERE

IT’S THE END OF AN ERA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    We were just discussing yesterday how you seemed to have won your BA in Engineering on the strength of buying your college a new kitchen. I was most impressed.
    The infamous 'Nobber Kitchen' anecdote is just a joke really... or do we have another story for Telegraph front page?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not wonder if this time would have been better spent revising for your finals?

ReputationRep:
    Yes,

That's very funny Anjool. Steal my username and post as me. You think that you're so clever. I'll get you, make no error, I'll get you.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    That is not true, I got my BA and will get my MEng on the strength of academic ability. I cannot emphasise enough that St Peter's and Oxford are about all about academic ability. To quote a hero of mine "I'm not made of International Airports."

ReputationRep:
    That is not true, I got my BA and will get my MEng not the strength of academic ability. I cannot emphasise enough that St Peter's and Oxford are about all about academic ability. To quote a hero of mine "I'm not made of International Airports."
    "On a scale of 1 to 10 for sarcasm, I'd give that an 8", says his girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you really do have no regard for your own safety. I am going to get you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you really do have no regard for your own safety. I am going to get you.
    I think you should give a speech about your experiences of Oxford at some of the girls' public schools around the country. Half the pupils would probably commit suicide on the spot, but those who don't will learn an awful lot. I'd recommend starting with St. Paul's Girls School in London.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about writing a book.

"Being banned from China and other reasons why I loved Oxford"

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I thought about writing a book.

"Being banned from China and other reasons why I loved Oxford"

What do you think?
    If you're going to do it properly, great idea.

note to self: Add getting banned from at least one country to my to do list

ReputationRep:
    Well I am far from typical in any respect but even I am not so vain as to really write a book about myself, just yet anyway.

Although someone did suggest that I do the blagger's guide to Oxford. That might be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am far from typical in any respect but even I am not so vain as to really write a book about myself, just yet anyway.

Although someone did suggest that I do the blagger's guide to Oxford. That might be a good idea.
    It would be astonishingly vain, I agree. But I still think a lot of people could really do with realising that the route to success/happiness does not necessarily lie along the path which requires you to just work your balls off from age 8 to 60. And you might be better prepared than most to demonstrate this.

ReputationRep:
    It's still hard work, you can't get by without hard work, don't think it's easy.

I just don't subscribe to the theory that to succeed all you need is a good degree.

All a 1st in History tells people is that you are good at writing history essays. Perhaps in something like engineering it is slightly different but since I have no intention of ever going near it as a career then there is no worries.

I will say this though, your Oxbridge FAQ is useless, oh sure it is good as a guide but at the end of the day it is the same as all of the twaddle that is trodded out in every public school in the country. There is more to Oxbridge than that, much more.

The same is true for the city, if you were to do a City FAQ it would really just be all the same drivel that they give you in applications packs. The fact remains that employers and colleges are begging for people who can think outside the box. You just need to show how to do that. If you can show that you are clever than the next guy then you are a sure fire winner for any job or college place.

For the record I do know all of the names of the Santa's Reindeer.

ReputationRep:
    I will say this though, your Oxbridge FAQ is useless, oh sure it is good as a guide but at the end of the day it is the same as all of the twaddle that is trodded out in every public school in the country. There is more to Oxbridge than that, much more.
    You appear to have misunderstood the purpose of the guide. It is not meant to explain the essence of Oxbridge. It is meant as a resource for uninformed users of the site interested in applying. You are, unfortunately, correct in saying it is useless, because it has become apparent people can't be bothered to read it; they just start new threads asking question the guide answers.

Your public school comment is incorrect, btw. For one thing, the guide was co-authored by F. Poste, who's at a seondary modern. Secondly, as a public schoolboy, I can tell you this is not the sort of thing you are told.

ReputationRep:
    Hell, I'm only at the end of the First Year and how nostalgic did that make me feel?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JUSTaGIRL)
    Does this in itself not tell you something? The guide was written by people who aren't even at Oxford or Cambridge, and are still caught up in the admissions process themselves. I don't mean to be rude or anything but surely it would make more sense for any such guide to be written by current students?
    It's not meant as a guide to oxford and cambridge - it's about the oxbridge applications process for a start, which they have both been through very recently. As it says at the top:
    Authors' (F. Poste and H&E) introduction: Please remember this guide is not definitive, and is not meant to be an alternative to doing your own research. As a starting block, however, we hope this proves useful.
    The reason it was written is that a lot of people were getting annoyed with the number of similar threads - and a lot of the questions were being asked by people who are still a long way off university age.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. As a guide to the admissions process, it's BETTER written by upper sixth formers than by current students, as they've seen the process more recently than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hell, I'm only at the end of the First Year and how nostalgic did that make me feel?!?
    I know exactly how you feel and I aint even there yet.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.