The Student Room Group

Final year philosophy essay - how many references needed?

I haven't done a philosophy essay in a while and I'm level 3 now (i had some time off). How many references are we meant to use? I was told that in level 3 you're meant to cover things in more depth and I only have 2,000 words. I've planned to write about 5 theorists but this would only mean 5 sources which isn't a lot. What's the minimum needed? I don't want to get marked down for not having enough but also don't want to likewise get marked down for covering too many too broadly!
Original post by k8i
I haven't done a philosophy essay in a while and I'm level 3 now (i had some time off). How many references are we meant to use? I was told that in level 3 you're meant to cover things in more depth and I only have 2,000 words. I've planned to write about 5 theorists but this would only mean 5 sources which isn't a lot. What's the minimum needed? I don't want to get marked down for not having enough but also don't want to likewise get marked down for covering too many too broadly!

It's better to have depth than breadth but the golden rule is always, not how many you have but how you use them. I found Greetham's book really helpful for writing essays as it covers all bases; it will help you be selective with your resources too and how to make notes effectively without time-wasting.
Reply 2
Original post by Georg Hegel
It's better to have depth than breadth but the golden rule is always, not how many you have but how you use them. I found Greetham's book really helpful for writing essays as it covers all bases; it will help you be selective with your resources too and how to make notes effectively without time-wasting.

Thanks, so is 5 enough?
Original post by k8i
Thanks, so is 5 enough?

It depends on how you use them. They have to be relevant, specific and well-used. They also have to be explained enough so the reader can understand it, but not so explained it goes off in a tangent. I wrote one essay on Plato, solely referencing Plato that had a 1:1 and another on Plato with 12 references that also had a 1:1. As I said, it's entirely dependent on usage.
Reply 4
Ok thanks. I'll stick with what I've got and try and make it good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k8i
Ok thanks. I'll stick with what I've got and try and make it good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely check out the book though, it's helped me no end!
Reply 6
Essay is due Sunday, don't think I'll have time! Will do for the next one though, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest