The Student Room Group

Being kept as a prisoner

I'm a 20 year old girl, almost 21, and I'm a university student. I'm basically fed up of life at home, I feel depressed and upset constantly. My family dont give me any freedom. I tried to "run away" on Monday but I was sadly caught and they wouldn't let me leave. My parents have both my bank cards and just recently I've checked they're taking money out of my student account probably so I dont try to leave again. Is there any way I can get this money back? I'm so depressed and I am planning on leaving soon. Yeah I'm muslim btw so that's why this **** is so difficult.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 20 year old girl, almost 21, and I'm a university student. I'm basically fed up of life at home, I feel depressed and upset constantly. My family dont give me any freedom. I tried to "run away" on Monday but I was sadly caught and they wouldn't let me leave. My parents have both my bank cards and just recently I've checked they're taking money out of my student account probably so I dont try to leave again. Is there any way I can get this money back? I'm so depressed and I am planning on leaving soon. Yeah I'm muslim btw so that's why this **** is so difficult.

Why do you want to leave? May I ask why kind of 'freedom' you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile
bump for you :redface: (for more immediate responses)
Which uni?
Reply 4
Original post by ViewsFromSi6
Why do you want to leave? May I ask why kind of 'freedom' you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My finances are kept under watch, I can't keep my bank cards with me. I'm not allowed out and have a curfew of like 5pm. I basically can't do anything and I hate it. I'm honestly depressed and hate going home from uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Tailored_Suit
I had a pretty good hunch you'd be Muslim from reading the thread title alone.

Is it even legal for them to take money out of your account when it's been given to you by SF?

I dunno. But they have my bank card and know my pin to it. And they took out 300 2 days ago and 300 yesterday. I want to leave but they're obviously trting to make sure I have no money to live off so I cant.
Reply 6
Original post by hihihihihi
Which uni?

One in london
One in london

Call the bank and tell them your cards have been lost/stolen? get them to reissue you a new card and have it sent to a friends house?
If you cant get your cards reissued call them and change your pin number - or open an instant access isa account and transfer all of your money into it that way they have nothing to take out then when they give you your cards you can move money back via your phone and take out what you need.
My finances are kept under watch, I can't keep my bank cards with me. I'm not allowed out and have a curfew of like 5pm. I basically can't do anything and I hate it. I'm honestly depressed and hate going home from uni.

Tell them they have 48 hours to return the money or you'll report them to the police for theft.

Muslims parents are known for being strict simply to get their children to stay away from bad things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Stop going home from uni, go into your bank with ID and have the details changed so they can't access your money.
I tried to "run away" on Monday but I was sadly caught and they wouldn't let me leave.

The Muslim Women's Network Helpline can be contacted on 0800 999 5786
http://www.mwnhelpline.co.uk/ is the website
please contact them for help as well!
Original post by IanDangerously
Tell them they have 48 hours to return the money or you'll report them to the police for theft.

If I did this they wouldn't let me out of the house and they'd take my phone so I wouldn't be able to call anyone. I'll try this when hopefully I've left.

If you cant get your cards reissued call them and change your pin number - or open an instant access isa account and transfer all of your money into it that way they have nothing to take out then when they give you your cards you can move money back via your phone and take out what you need.

Call the bank and tell them your cards have been lost/stolen? get them to reissue you a new card and have it sent to a friends house?

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll get my cards reissued that way they won't be able to go into the bank and try to get money out that way.
Muslims parents are known for being strict simply to get their children to stay away from bad things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know that. But tbh, I'm not religious and would hardly call myself a muslim. That's just the family I was born into. I can't see myself living my life that way.

Original post by Reue
Stop going home from uni, go into your bank with ID and have the details changed so they can't access your money.

All my stuff is at home, I need my laptop and they've taken my keys from me so I have no way of getting it when they're out.
Yeah, I know that. But tbh, I'm not religious and would hardly call myself a muslim. That's just the family I was born into. I can't see myself living my life that way.

All my stuff is at home, I need my laptop and they've taken my keys from me so I have no way of getting it when they're out.

Talk to someone about it, maybe another family member?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do realise this is both emotional and financial abuse? They can't force you to stay and if they're making threats (emotional blackmail/physical threats) report them immediately. Pack up, go to your student union and ask for help. Get your cards blocked and reissued. They're bullying you, even if they claim it's for "your own good." It's wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Talk to someone about it, maybe another family member?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one in my family would help. I've spoken to my friend and I wanna talk to someone at uni but I dunno who to go to.
If I did this they wouldn't let me out of the house and they'd take my phone so I wouldn't be able to call anyone. I'll try this when hopefully I've left.

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll get my cards reissued that way they won't be able to go into the bank and try to get money out that way.

If you have ID you could probably set up another student/standard bank account with a different branch and just empty your accounts so they think you have no money then just keep your cards at a friend who you can trusts house until you can get away. That way they wont find them in your purse
Speak to your supervisor they will be able to lead you into the right direction :smile: hope you're okay x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending