Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why does temperature affect the rate constant K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    Why does temperature affect the rate constant K

take the reaction: A + B ----> C

with rate equation Rate = K[A][B]

If you increase the temperature, the rate would increase due to higher kinetic energy of molecules etc. The concs of A and B remain constant, so the only thing that can alter is K, which increases to fit the equation. Similarly if temperature drops, K drops. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggin)
    take the reaction: A + B ----> C

with rate equation Rate = K[A][B]

If you increase the temperature, the rate would increase due to higher kinetic energy of molecules etc. The concs of A and B remain constant, so the only thing that can alter is K, which increases to fit the equation. Similarly if temperature drops, K drops. Hope this helps.
    thanks for the help, i understand now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    thanks for the help, i understand now.
    goodo - i also understand it better now having explained it!!

ReputationRep:
    On a similar theme, could someone explain about second order reactions. I understand they increase the rate of reaction x4 when they are doubled, but what about when they are tripled etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggin)
    goodo - i also understand it better now having explained it!!
    lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    On a similar theme, could someone explain about second order reactions. I understand they increase the rate of reaction x4 when they are doubled, but what about when they are tripled etc?
    it increases by a factor of 9. when doubles it increases by a factor of because 2 squared is 4 and when tripled the rate increases by a factor of 9 because 3 squared is 9. Basically the rate is proportional to concentration squared.

ReputationRep:
    The orders are the powers to which concentrations are raised in the rate equation. Hence for a first order reaction, doubling or trebling the concentration of a reactant increases rate by a factor of 2 or 3 respectively, while in a second order reaction factors of 4 or 9, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    i got stuck with this just yesterday - i found the easiest way to make it make sense was to write out the rate equation:

rate = k[A][B]^2

now if you bung in random numbers, say to start with k=1, A=1, B=1
    so the rate at this point = 1

now if you double B keeping A constant, see what happens to the rate:
    rate = 1x1x2^2
    = 4 (rate has quadrupled)

now if you triple B, see what happens....
    rate = 1x1x3^2
    = 9 (rate has ninedrupled!! is that a word?!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah, makes perfect sense now, don't know why I didn't notice that.

Cheers all.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.