The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zionpower
I see your concern. Masturbation, lust for me are not sin. BUT you have to control your body to act rightly according to the bible. Lust is not a sin BUT IT LEADS to sin if you don't reject it. Drunkeness is a sin. going out everyday drinking is not good and is a sin the bible said so. You can't be liberal and be Christian,have one leg in and the other out. As a christian you just need to follow the word, don't say why why why always, as I said before God is not allowing anything to come in your mind. Adam and eve were seduced to eat the fruit, that seduction was not a sin but the action that followed. I'm trying to judge you but if you try to follow the bible then you will see things easier. Have you received the baptism of the Holy Ghost?

Drunkness is a big issue for me, as I have a liking for a drink. Guess you could say I'm borderline alcoholic (though that's an entirely different topic). I'm not sure I agree with you about liberalism and being a Christian. Many Christians are open minded, and don't follow like its a ritual. I don't know if I'd describe my behaviour as one leg in one leg out. I often feel this way however, but that's because I feel suffocated at times because although I do believe in God, I feel there are many judgemental antics within the faith, which when you look objectively isn't really what christianity promotes.

Many people are judged for not following to the word, but then, that is hypocritical, especially by Christian standards.

I'm not saying 'you yourself' so like this, but there are many Christians that do this. Pointing the finger (which I recall there is a passage somewhere on that, not completely well versed with the Bible).

No idea about the Baltism of the Holy Ghost. Do you mean 'getting Christened'?
Probably not, no.
Reply 22
@Howard So now you believe Jesus is God himself?

No I don't believe it personally.

But isn't that what orthodox Christian teaching says; that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost is a triad God - one in the same? The Trinity?
Reply 23
Original post by Anon_98
Thanks for sharing that, I think so. - yes. :h:

'For every house is built by someone, but he that built all things is God' -Hebrews 3:4 :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this a yes to my initial question/OP?
Original post by royal1990
Is this a yes to my initial question/OP?

Yes it is. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can people please answer my query without resorting to going off on a tangent?

I was directing this question purely toward Christians that may have similar stories to tell about how God has answered their prayers? And whether they could relate to my experiences?

I understand there are people whom are non-believers and thats fine, but each to their own.

The other part of my question was simply asking, is Masterbation, lusting and drinking sinful? But also, if it is so, doesn't that mean that thousands of Christians are sinning daily?

I know of a certain demographic of Christian that are very liberal and believe that its 'your relationship with God that is most important'. If God permitted us to feel pleasure from Masterbating, if He allowed us to lust and to see other woman as attractive and to have sex out of Wedlock then that should be ok? Understandably, this brings into question the scriptures in the bible.

I am more inclined to go by the word of so-called liberal Christians than 'full-blown' bible bashing devout God fearing Christians.

Simply because....if God were such a divine, accepting and loving deity, and he allowed such acts than he would be accepting of these acts. I think that the bible teachings pale into insignificance when you consider your own relationship with God. Of course, the Bible is seen as the corner stone of the faith, and the 'guidebook' for many. But really and truly, all that matters is your linkage with Him. Even if you just talk to him in your thoughts, to me that is worshipping God. I don't even go to Church regularly (and to be fair don't think I ever did!).

Point is, God is expressed as a loving pure divine individual, I really don't feel that he would be so limiting to us so as to give us so many rules. I think real 'faith' is more personal and less robotic and scriptured than we're led to believe.

Yes, God has answered my prayers, so many times that I have lost count. Even, being alive today is by His grace. Masturbation, lusting and drinking IS a sin. The Bible said in Matthew 5 vs 28: " I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" If you are spiritually inclined and read the bible, you will be more likely to be able not to lust, masturbate or drink alcohol. There are many people that used to masturbate and now they don't, after asking God to help them control their thoughts. No one said life would be easy, most of the prophets and Jesus in the Bible went through their share of difficulties, but they always prevailed. You can only prevail over these issues, if you commit your life to God 100%, no leeway. There is nothing like being a liberal Christian, as you the bible said in Matthew 6 vs 24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon". You cannot lust, masterubate and drink and say that it is okay to do these things because others are doing it. Your conscience doesn't not agree with it, hence why you asked the question, this should tell you something. You can either drink, masturbate or lust or serve God will all your heart and not do those things. By saying "you are inclined to go by the word of so-called liberal Christians" you obviously don't want to hear the truth from the bible. No one can call themselves a Christian if they fail to read and follow the doctrines of the bible. It's called Christianity (Christ followers- It's in the name- Christ loved the scriptures, so how can one call themselves a Christian if they fail to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ?)

Jesus was tempted in the bible, but He told Satan "Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" Luke 4 vs 8. God was in human form and the devil thought He would succumb to worldly desires, but Jesus didn't. Jesus came in human flesh in order for us to be like Him. He came for us to be free of sin and have salvation.

Ah, the classic cop-out of asking why there are disastrous/negative things in the world if God is such a loving God? God gave us free will, right from the time of Adam and Eve until now, He gave everyone a choice to follow Him or not. It's your choice really. At the end of the day, everyone would be accountable to Him, the "liberal" Christians would as well. Just to let you know, He does not like half Christian, He likes us to either follow Him or do what you please. Revelation 3 vs 16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth"

It's your choice if you want to serve Him or not. Joshua 24 vs 15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Nothing is okay, being a Christian is not a easy journey. You need to face temptation, free yourself from sexual sins and not drink. It would take time and being human, we shall struggle, but "with God all things are possible" Matthew 19 vs 26.

You need to go to Church to find similar people in the faith and to be spiritually nourished by the word of God as well as having a personal relationship with Him.

TL DR: Yes, masturbation, lust and drinking alcohol are sinful. From those "Christians" you know that are committing these sins, there are some who don't do such things. I don't know why you think they don't exist. Maybe they are not as vocal. You are using argumentum ad populum fallacy (just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean it's right).
Reply 26
Original post by Vanny17
Yes, God has answered my prayers, so many times that I have lost count. Even, being alive today is by His grace. Masturbation, lusting and drinking IS a sin. The Bible said in Matthew 5 vs 28: " I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" If you are spiritually inclined and read the bible, you will be more likely to be able not to lust, masturbate or drink alcohol. There are many people that used to masturbate and now they don't, after asking God to help them control their thoughts. No one said life would be easy, most of the prophets and Jesus in the Bible went through their share of difficulties, but they always prevailed. You can only prevail over these issues, if you commit your life to God 100%, no leeway. There is nothing like being a liberal Christian, as you the bible said in Matthew 6 vs 24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon". You cannot lust, masterubate and drink and say that it is okay to do these things because others are doing it. Your conscience doesn't not agree with it, hence why you asked the question, this should tell you something. You can either drink, masturbate or lust or serve God will all your heart and not do those things. By saying "you are inclined to go by the word of so-called liberal Christians" you obviously don't want to hear the truth from the bible. No one can call themselves a Christian if they fail to read and follow the doctrines of the bible. It's called Christianity (Christ followers- It's in the name- Christ loved the scriptures, so how can one call themselves a Christian if they fail to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ?)

Jesus was tempted in the bible, but He told Satan "Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" Luke 4 vs 8. God was in human form and the devil thought He would succumb to worldly desires, but Jesus didn't. Jesus came in human flesh in order for us to be like Him. He came for us to be free of sin and have salvation.

Ah, the classic cop-out of asking why there are disastrous/negative things in the world if God is such a loving God? God gave us free will, right from the time of Adam and Eve until now, He gave everyone a choice to follow Him or not. It's your choice really. At the end of the day, everyone would be accountable to Him, the "liberal" Christians would as well. Just to let you know, He does not like half Christian, He likes us to either follow Him or do what you please. Revelation 3 vs 16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth"

It's your choice if you want to serve Him or not. Joshua 24 vs 15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Nothing is okay, being a Christian is not a easy journey. You need to face temptation, free yourself from sexual sins and not drink. It would take time and being human, we shall struggle, but "with God all things are possible" Matthew 19 vs 26.

You need to go to Church to find similar people in the faith and to be spiritually nourished by the word of God as well as having a personal relationship with Him.

TL DR: Yes, masturbation, lust and drinking alcohol are sinful. From those "Christians" you know that are committing these sins, there are some who don't do such things. I don't know why you think they don't exist. Maybe they are not as vocal. You are using argumentum ad populum fallacy (just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean it's right).

Whoa, some sweeping generalisations here about me. I didn't give any cop-out or particular statement about bad things happening in the world and God not doing anything. Of course, many use this argument, however what I actually was saying was that because God gave us the ability to achieve Orgasm via Mastervation (I.e. Feel good feeling- positive), then surely if he allowed this then it's his will??

I take some of what you said in mind, however, you come across to me as very judgemental and also very patronising (sorry to say).

If your somebody whom represents the Christian faith, then really and truly I'm sorry, but I'm dissapointed. Most of your post here was targeted and actually rather patronising to me. I didn't come here for criticism per se, I came here for hearing your experiences and your views, not a full blown diagnostic or why I'm not a follower etc.

To you I may not be, but honestly, myself, I chose to follow My faith and worship God in any which way I want.

Sorry
@royal1990 let me explain a bit what I mean by the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you read on Acts 2:1-13New International Version (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
2 When the day of Pentecost came, they
were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a
sound like the blowing of a violent wind
came from heaven and filled the whole
house where they were sitting. 3 They saw
what seemed to be tongues of fire that
separated and came to rest on each of
them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy
Spirit and began to speak in other tongues
[ a] as the Spirit enabled them."

The baptism of the Holy Ghost is made during a special service in church but you may also see you pastor in order to help you pray for that baptism. Being Christened is not being baptised by the Holy Ghost. It is a very long topic but if you still need some answers feel free to ask.
Judgement sometimes is made using the bible, but it has to be relevant. You know, people sometimes think they can stop sin by themselves that's why they don't believe in anything the bible says. The Holy Ghost is our strengthener and if a christian is not baptised and filled with his power He cannot resist sin
Reply 28
@royal1990 let me explain a bit what I mean by the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you read on Acts 2:1-13New International Version (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
2 When the day of Pentecost came, they
were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a
sound like the blowing of a violent wind
came from heaven and filled the whole
house where they were sitting. 3 They saw
what seemed to be tongues of fire that
separated and came to rest on each of
them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy
Spirit and began to speak in other tongues
[ a] as the Spirit enabled them."

The baptism of the Holy Ghost is made during a special service in church but you may also see you pastor in order to help you pray for that baptism. Being Christened is not being baptised by the Holy Ghost. It is a very long topic but if you still need some answers feel free to ask.
Judgement sometimes is made using the bible, but it has to be relevant. You know, people sometimes think they can stop sin by themselves that's why they don't believe in anything the bible says. The Holy Ghost is our strengthener and if a christian is not baptised and filled with his power He cannot resist sin

You appear to be alluding to adult baptism as practiced by evangelical protestants. Am I right?

Notice that you didn't respond on the matter of Trinitarianism. Do you accept it or not?
(edited 8 years ago)
@Howard sorry but I'm not discussing with non-christian. You may notice our discussion will profit nothing. No one will be exhorted
Original post by a noble chance
...and people wonder why the Roman Catholic Church was completely overrun by paedophiles...

that is very offensive.
Whoa, some sweeping generalisations here about me. I didn't give any cop-out or particular statement about bad things happening in the world and God not doing anything. Of course, many use this argument, however what I actually was saying was that because God gave us the ability to achieve Orgasm via Mastervation (I.e. Feel good feeling- positive), then surely if he allowed this then it's his will??

I take some of what you said in mind, however, you come across to me as very judgemental and also very patronising (sorry to say).

If your somebody whom represents the Christian faith, then really and truly I'm sorry, but I'm dissapointed. Most of your post here was targeted and actually rather patronising to me. I didn't come here for criticism per se, I came here for hearing your experiences and your views, not a full blown diagnostic or why I'm not a follower etc.

To you I may not be, but honestly, myself, I chose to follow My faith and worship God in any which way I want.

Sorry

You don't have to apologize, we are all entitled to our opinions. I stated by own opinion as a Biblical based practicing Christian. But, unfortunately, you thought I was being judgmental and patronizing (when I wasn't). I don't know you, so how can I judge you? What profit will I gain from judging and patronizing someone I don't even know?

I was just telling you what my bible says, that's all. Holy matrimony (marriage) is the only way a practicing Christian can have sex. That's what the bible said. I am sorry, but I don't sugar coat or embellish, I say things as the bible says it is.
I am sorry if you don't like that. Most people here/ irl might tell you it's okay, but I won't because it is against the Bible. I will tell you only the truth (what the bible says on the issues you mentioned).

I could have chosen not to reply, but I did because I wanted you to serve God as the bible teaches. But like I aforesaid, we all have freewill. I have given the bible quotes to support my stance, so it's up to you really.

I am sorry if you thought I was being negative, that was not my aim at all and for that I apologize if I came across that way.

I am not without sin and truly no one is; neither am I perfect, though I try to aspire to the bible quote in Matthew 5 vs 48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" We are human, so we can be lured into temptation, but forsaking and turning from our sins is what God expects from us and we can only do this by His grace alone. So how can I criticize, judge and patronize you?.
@Vanny17 you are right. sometimes people are very sensitive especially when you say someone is not fully a christian. How can he be a full christian as you said 100%? Tell me how masturbation is a sin. Is a bad desire a sin?
Original post by the bear
that is very offensive.

It was certainly a very offensive situation, but you mustn't shoot the messenger.

Do you deny that the Roman Catholic Church was overrun by paedohpiles? If not, then you must surely entertain the possibility that the sexual repression that is universally fostered in their priests and which is represented by the quote I was responding to had a major role in the rampant child abuse that was uncovered a few years ago and which has been going on for decades. To not do so would be tantamount to fanaticism. I would like to add that I am myself a liberal Anglican.
Reply 34
@Howard sorry but I'm not discussing with non-christian. You may notice our discussion will profit nothing. No one will be exhorted

You fear that I know more about your scripture, theology, and religion than you do. You have good reason to.
Reply 35
Hi all.....

Hi there, great testimony. Love to read how people encounter God.

How I view stuff is basically like this. We sin and we sin all the time, as the creed (I think it is) says in thought, word and deed.

There is an example of how God sees sin in the bible. When Jesus encounters the woman at the well. He knew she had been married 5 times and was at that time living with someone. Jesus forgave her but said 'go and sin no more'. Once our eyes have been opened to sin in our lives God forgives us and says do that sin no more. As we are human we constantly fail and are forgiven again because we are not yet perfect.

That's not to say we deliberately sin just because we know God will forgive us because how I read it, he isn't saying that.

In the bible it says we need to constantly renew our minds.
Stuff gets in there which we need to wash out, stuff that doesn't benefit us or do us any good. People who don't know God think he is a kill-joy but he isn't, when God says something isn't good for us it usually isn't.

We need to simplify life a bit more, all God asks of us is to be kind. (Love one another as I have loved you).

Those instances of you and money, I think God has a sense of humour and these are the things that can make us laugh with God.
That's right,we need to Renew our minds as the scripture says. People nowadays don't know the scriptures and want to pick just some and acts on it then leaves others saying "I'm living my own way with God", but it won't work. To reach the level you were analysing above required a lot of spiritual work.
Reply 37
Original post by Racoon
Hi there, great testimony. Love to read how people encounter God.

How I view stuff is basically like this. We sin and we sin all the time, as the creed (I think it is) says in thought, word and deed.

There is an example of how God sees sin in the bible. When Jesus encounters the woman at the well. He knew she had been married 5 times and was at that time living with someone. Jesus forgave her but said 'go and sin no more'. Once our eyes have been opened to sin in our lives God forgives us and says do that sin no more. As we are human we constantly fail and are forgiven again because we are not yet perfect.

That's not to say we deliberately sin just because we know God will forgive us because how I read it, he isn't saying that.

In the bible it says we need to constantly renew our minds.
Stuff gets in there which we need to wash out, stuff that doesn't benefit us or do us any good. People who don't know God think he is a kill-joy but he isn't, when God says something isn't good for us it usually isn't.

We need to simplify life a bit more, all God asks of us is to be kind. (Love one another as I have loved you).

Those instances of you and money, I think God has a sense of humour and these are the things that can make us laugh with God.

Racoon,

That's not all God asks at all. Nobody ever entered the Kingdom of God just for being kind. That's contrary to what the NT teaches.

But back to the matter of whether thoughts can be considered sins (never mind that zionpower disagrees with Jesus on this) you mention the Creed. Close, but no cigar! It's actually the General Confession. Here's an old Anglican version (1662 BCP)

"Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Maker of all things, Judge of all men: We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, By thought, word and deed, Against thy Divine Majesty, Provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us"
Nahh
Reply 39
That's right,we need to Renew our minds as the scripture says. People nowadays don't know the scriptures and want to pick just some and acts on it then leaves others saying "I'm living my own way with God", but it won't work. To reach the level you were analysing above required a lot of spiritual work.

LOL! That's rich coming from you.

Latest

Trending

Trending