Heat damaged hair - help!

Watch
sbd_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My hair is wavy, but not in a nice way. It just looks weird and is a mixture of frizzy wave and straight, so I straighten it to make it look decent. However, I've realised how badly damaged it's become :/. I have so many split ends (and some of them start from the middle of my hair), my hair feels thin and fried and it's shedding really badly.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do/use to get healthy hair again? I already use argan oil after washing, but I'm going to start using coconut oil too and will also stop all use of heat. Is it possible to recover without going for a big chop? I've grown my hair out past my boobs, so I'm reluctant to cut loads off!
kpizzle17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you blow dry it? If you do, try and cut down on how often you do. Also take note of how close you hold the hair dryer to your head.

Do get it cut and get rid of the split ends. It may feel shorter at first and it can be heartbreaking when you're trying to grow it but getting rid of them will let it grow stronger and faster in the long run.

Get yourself a good deep conditioning treatment and use it once a week. I'm a fan of L'Oreals, quite cheap but they do the job.

I used to have frizzy hair but once I stopped blow drying and got a good cut as much I really noticed the difference.
sbd_
Rep:
?
(Original post by kpizzle17)
Do you blow dry it? If you do, try and cut down on how often you do. Also take note of how close you hold the hair dryer to your head.

Do get it cut and get rid of the split ends. It may feel shorter at first and it can be heartbreaking when you're trying to grow it but getting rid of them will let it grow stronger and faster in the long run.

Get yourself a good deep conditioning treatment and use it once a week. I'm a fan of L'Oreals, quite cheap but they do the job.

I used to have frizzy hair but once I stopped blow drying and got a good cut as much I really noticed the difference.
I don't blow dry as it just makes my hair go poofy and even frizzier, so I just need to cut out the straightening. Thanks, I'll have a look at some deep conditioners and start using that too, and have a few inches cut off .
Kaytestar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have definitely been in your shoes in the past! This is how I have dealt with it:

*Whenever you have the chance, try not to use heat. Keeping it natural, even if it just on the days when you stay at home, definitely will help repair it gradually.

*After you wash your hair, let it dry naturally.

*Always use a heat protectant spray - these are very reasonably priced and help massively!

*Use a moisturizing shampoo, or a shampoo aimed to aid split ends. In the past I have used Herbal Essence Beautiful Ends and it has worked wonders! I also like to use the corresponding hair mask with it.

*Remember basic things such as taking your vitamins and not tying it up too tightly in a ponytail etc.

*Probably the most important thing of all, get regular hair cuts! This will definitely be beneficial for your hair every few months.

Good Luck! x
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get a hat, or get knittin'

Name:  Coffee hat.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  55.7 KB
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You have to cut off all the split ends. I don't care what the product says, it won't fix em.

Do a couple hair masques - I recommend Charles Worthington.
Jeena_hunt5476
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cut your hair. Brush your hair everyday apparently that speeds up growth and massaging the scalp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sbd_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaytestar)
I have definitely been in your shoes in the past! This is how I have dealt with it:

*Whenever you have the chance, try not to use heat. Keeping it natural, even if it just on the days when you stay at home, definitely will help repair it gradually.

*After you wash your hair, let it dry naturally.

*Always use a heat protectant spray - these are very reasonably priced and help massively!

*Use a moisturizing shampoo, or a shampoo aimed to aid split ends. In the past I have used Herbal Essence Beautiful Ends and it has worked wonders! I also like to use the corresponding hair mask with it.

*Remember basic things such as taking your vitamins and not tying it up too tightly in a ponytail etc.

*Probably the most important thing of all, get regular hair cuts! This will definitely be beneficial for your hair every few months.

Good Luck! x
(Original post by Goaded)
You have to cut off all the split ends. I don't care what the product says, it won't fix em.

Do a couple hair masques - I recommend Charles Worthington.
(Original post by Jeena_hunt5476)
Cut your hair. Brush your hair everyday apparently that speeds up growth and massaging the scalp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much!
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cut the ends off and buy hair masks
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Guy Tang will save you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rjtAwMrlQ
magicstars64
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you can't face getting all the split ends cut off (I couldn't bare doing that) and you have the patience - grab a pencil or something similar, twist a small chunk of hair then wrap it around and you should be able to see all the split ends. If you don't have hair scissors just use nail ones etc, and go through and snip them off!
I didn't want to lose a few inches cutting mine off, so I did this every night and now it's split end free with minimal length change

Also coconut oil is miraculous
magicstars64
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love Guy Tang so much!
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by magicstars64)
I love Guy Tang so much!
Argh he's SO awesome :O
literally works magic with hair :eek:
sbd_
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophiamarni)
cut the ends off and buy hair masks
Thank you!

This gives me hope haha, thank you .

(Original post by magicstars64)
If you can't face getting all the split ends cut off (I couldn't bare doing that) and you have the patience - grab a pencil or something similar, twist a small chunk of hair then wrap it around and you should be able to see all the split ends. If you don't have hair scissors just use nail ones etc, and go through and snip them off!
I didn't want to lose a few inches cutting mine off, so I did this every night and now it's split end free with minimal length change

Also coconut oil is miraculous
Ah that's such a good idea thank you, I'd rather do that than cut off 8 inches of my hair!
leepalmer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cut off the split ends, they usually look unattractive, it's better to have a shorter but healthier hair, than long and damaged. I straighten my wavy hair no more than once pr month+heat protecting stuff from L'Oreal. Oil masks are rather helpful, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.87%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (74)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (90)
12.88%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (75)
10.73%
Financial worries (43)
6.15%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.43%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
6.01%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (67)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.87%

Watched Threads