Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do? I mean, I was stuck from the first question!! TOTALLY screwed up but i think most ppl in our school did too.. ppl crying and stuff... well just wondering if our school is particularly dumb hehe.

ReputationRep:
    exam wos quite hard but wos easier than last summers. i fink i fuked up the 1st q and the flows q. wot answers did u get??????????????

ReputationRep:
    You should have seen today's AQA P4. OMG the hardest paper ever, most people didn't have time to complete it, those that did skipped ten mark questions!!!

ReputationRep:
    i think the paper would have been ok if i would have had another half an hour!

argh! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyj)
    i think the paper would have been ok if i would have had another half an hour!

argh! x
    yeah thats always it with d1. needs more time tbh

ReputationRep:
    Flows question was pretty difficult (think i mucked it up a bit) as was Linear Programming. Did you guys get the profit for the LP as £190? I think that the hard bits were:finding the flow augmenting paths, the LP, and possibly the Gannt Chart. I thought the paper was a lot harder than the average; about the same as last year (easier flows but harder LP). The Grade boundary for an A last year was 46/75 though, so even if this paper was a bit easier the boundaries should be fairly low. In my college though, a lot of people came out of the exam saying that it was the hardest paper ever etc. I reckon i must have got about 63/75. How did you guys find it?

ReputationRep:
    Flows question was pretty difficult (think i mucked it up a bit) as was Linear Programming. Did you guys get the profit for the LP as £190? I think that the hard bits were:finding the flow augmenting paths, the LP, and possibly the Gannt Chart. I thought the paper was a lot harder than the average; about the same as last year (easier flows but harder LP). The grade boundary for an A last year was 46/75 though, so even if this paper was a bit easier the boundaries should be fairly low. In my college though, a lot of people came out of the exam saying that it was the hardest paper ever etc. I reckon i must have got about 63/75. How did you guys find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt1386)
    Flows question was pretty difficult (think i mucked it up a bit) as was Linear Programming. Did you guys get the profit for the LP as £190? I think that the hard bits were:finding the flow augmenting paths, the LP, and possibly the Gannt Chart. I thought the paper was a lot harder than the average; about the same as last year (easier flows but harder LP). The grade boundary for an A last year was 46/75 though, so even if this paper was a bit easier the boundaries should be fairly low. In my college though, a lot of people came out of the exam saying that it was the hardest paper ever etc. I reckon i must have got about 63/75. How did you guys find it?
    flows i got 65
    largest profit of 190
    my flipping crtitcal activites i had more than usual.
    i had filled up the top of the chart
    and then i still had an extra two

ReputationRep:
    Cool. For the LP did you find optimal strategy as: make a 100 x (small i think) badges, and 400 y (large) badges? Agree with you on flows etc, didn't finish Gannt chart though!

ReputationRep:
    dont sweat - i did D1 last year and i dont think i even answered the last part of the last question - i just sat there being confused. But thanks to UMS i got 100%!!! Tis a wierd world!

ReputationRep:
    Cool. For the LP did you find optimal strategy as: make a 100 x (small i think) badges, and 400 y (large) badges? Agree with you on flows etc, didn't finish Gannt chart though!
    no
    40 or 60 for x, and 400 sumfing for y

ReputationRep:
    Did it seem like they had just thrown things on to that exam that blatantly weren't on the syllabus? Like the first question, there is nothing mentioned about that and the question with 3 critical activities at once. There wasn't enough time for it anyway, and there was no damned simplex the thing im best at!!! Oh well, i only need about 43 (ums) for an A (hope i managed that!)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it was easier/the same/more difficult than last years D1?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it was easier/the same/more difficult than last years D1?
    and also for the first question the reason the were 6 donts on the other side is cos 2 of them had to have 1's
    so it went 1 1 2 3 4 5
    as two people had to start at the starting line

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad. For question 1 I labelled two dots 1a and 1b. I did everything. Got halfway through the flow question and got to finding 2 flow augmenting routes before realising that doing the last 2 questions would be better use of my time. I did the last Q then 2nd to last (got £190 100x and 400y) and then time was up. So it was just the last few marks of the flow Q that I didn't do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    flows i got 65
    largest profit of 190
    my flipping crtitcal activites i had more than usual.
    i had filled up the top of the chart
    and then i still had an extra two
    Lol.. I put 65 for flows but it was wrong, the min cut was 64... loads of ppl put 65 though. It was such a *******... they put rlly tricky stuff on every question, and to rub it in, no god damn simplex that I'd been revising so hard for.

My largest profit was 190 as well, no one else I spoke to got the 20%-40% bracket right... and there were some pretty smart ppl that really messed up there.

It's because of this new woman, cos my maths teacher said she took over because the current D1 papers were "too easy". So she's made them rock hard. People in the exam hall were like nearly crying, and sleeping and ripping up papers and stuff cos they just couldn't do it.

My critisism was how she put really hard bits as the first parts of each question, so if you didn't do that you couldn't do the rest at all... so when it discriminates between good and bad, the bad ppl get like no marks. Like the flows, if you couldn't get x and y, like if you forgot one single part, you were totally screwed for the rest of the question. and I dunno if they have ECF either on D1.

*******s. Oh well, can always resit in december.

ReputationRep:
    route inspection... 299
    network flow... 65
    linear programming...x=100, y=400 Profit= £190
    cricitical path-25 with loads of critical activities happening at once needed to put 2 on a separate line on the cascade gantt chart
    minimum of 4 workers

did people get similar answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ushie)
    route inspection... 299
    network flow... 65
    linear programming...x=100, y=400 Profit= £190
    cricitical path-25 with loads of critical activities happening at once needed to put 2 on a separate line on the cascade gantt chart
    minimum of 4 workers

did people get similar answers?
    Yeah I got exactly that.

ReputationRep:
    Yo Every1.
    Yeah, i done the D1 exam today and it was the hardest exam of all. All my practise and specimen papers were easy and then edexcel come out with an insane D1!!! I couldnt believe it. This is my review:
    Question 1) There were 6 vertices and 5 numbers. i left out the last vertex becuase i was confused adn later realised that you had to have two 1's.

Question 2) I used the quick sort algortihm to sort in ascending order and done the binary search as normal. Answer was 9th Position.

Question 3) Easy
    Question 4) Easy

Question 5) The flows was such a wierd and annoying question. It was tricky how they done it. Did you notice that the capacites were travelling in opposite directions to what it is in the syllabus. That question confused me. I didnt know the initial flow and found 1 flow-augmenting path. Max Flow value was 43.

Question 6) Linear Programming. I dont know where the hell that question came from. Its not in past papers (exept jan 03) and defineitely not in the d1 book. Didnt even bother with that question.

Question 7) Easy

If all goes well, i hope for a B becuase the grade boundaries are quite low for this paper. You need 46/75 for an A.

P.S I got M2 next. Does anyone know where i can get the mark scheme for M2 Jan 02 and June 02 paper or M2 Jan 04 paper?? PLZ!!

ReputationRep:
    it was challenging all i can say!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.