People who've read both The Shining and Jekyll and Hyde

Watch
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I realise this probably isn't that many of you, but worth a try
Would you say there are distinct similarities in their representation of evil? As in, both suggest that every normal person has the capacity to be evil - to murder.
Jack Torrance's alcohol could potentially be compared to Dr. Jekyll's potion, too.

I'm just not sure if there's enough similarity to write an entire essay around? I think it really could work, but since this is 50% of my English Literature GCSE I'm not sure if the risk is worth taking and if I should just stick to the texts we studied in class.

PLS HELP
BBaggins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, I don't think so.
Jack Torrance is by principle -a weak man. He is satisfied putting the blame on others for personal failings. No doubt, he is firm willed but that will can be broken. That is exactly what the supernatural presence exploits in the book. Jack Torrance would always have been a loser. But, Dr Jekyll isn't like that. He is intrigued by the science of his transformations which is why he changes into Hyde again and again. Unfortunately, one of the chemicals that he uses to make his potion was adulterated and contained something else, which cannot be found out. The good doctor tries his best to make the potion but the pure chemical fails him and
prevents him from doing so. (An explanation which could only have been thought of by a literary genius). His body's physical structure becomes hazy and he is unable to control the frequency of the changes and therefore dies. There is no supernatural element here. Jekyll isolates himself only when he cannot change the frequency of his transformations.

I don't know what texts you studied in class. Why don't you tell me the question? Maybe (and that's a MAYBE) i can help you!
username2151383
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by BBaggins)
No, I don't think so.
Jack Torrance is by principle -a weak man. He is satisfied putting the blame on others for personal failings. No doubt, he is firm willed but that will can be broken. That is exactly what the supernatural presence exploits in the book. Jack Torrance would always have been a loser. But, Dr Jekyll isn't like that. He is intrigued by the science of his transformations which is why he changes into Hyde again and again. Unfortunately, one of the chemicals that he uses to make his potion was adulterated and contained something else, which cannot be found out. The good doctor tries his best to make the potion but the pure chemical fails him and
prevents him from doing so. (An explanation which could only have been thought of by a literary genius). His body's physical structure becomes hazy and he is unable to control the frequency of the changes and therefore dies. There is no supernatural element here. Jekyll isolates himself only when he cannot change the frequency of his transformations.

I don't know what texts you studied in class. Why don't you tell me the question? Maybe (and that's a MAYBE) i can help you!
only just saw this sorry, but what????
Jekyll didn't make the potion because he was scientifically interested, he did it so that he could do bad things without being held responsible
BBaggins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I didn't start the thread. But you are wrong.Dr J turns into EH because of his interest in science, and later on, gets addicted to being Hyde. Will suggest you read the original Stevenson novel.Before he dies, he writes a letter to his friend-the narrator of the story and there it is clear that he was interested in science.
The thread starter wanted to know if Jack Torrance and DR, Jekyll can be said to have some sort of similarity between them. No similarities whatsoever -perhaps a little weak.!!
JM_1998
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need not stick to texts taught in class; but writing about Stephen King, especially using a stringent connection to Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, will probably put off the marker.
username2151383
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBaggins)
Well, I didn't start the thread. But you are wrong.Dr J turns into EH because of his interest in science, and later on, gets addicted to being Hyde. Will suggest you read the original Stevenson novel.Before he dies, he writes a letter to his friend-the narrator of the story and there it is clear that he was interested in science.
The thread starter wanted to know if Jack Torrance and DR, Jekyll can be said to have some sort of similarity between them. No similarities whatsoever -perhaps a little weak.!!
but he says "had I approached my discovery in a more noble spirit, had I risked the experiment while under the empire of generous or pious aspirations, all must have been otherwise"
which is saying if he'd done it with good intentions (i.e science) then his good would've become stronger rather than his Hyde
that's what we were taught, anyway
radka14021
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey: how would you answer on this question>

How is Gothic characterized by a fascination with immorality and evil and what is the nature of this fascination in relation to “Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde” and film “The Shining”?
username2151383
Rep:
?
(Original post by radka14021)
hey: how would you answer on this question>

How is Gothic characterized by a fascination with immorality and evil and what is the nature of this fascination in relation to “Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde” and film “The Shining”?
i think the fascination is much more to do with jekyll and hyde than the shining
because you can talk about how the reason he made the potion is because he wanted to do immoral things and then he liked it and kept using it
i don't really know how it relates to the shining because jack always felt really guilty and he never wanted to do anything bad
i guess he kept looking at all the newspapers in the basement and was interested in the hotels history
but i don't know i can't really help i haven't even thought about either of those things in like a year sorry but good luck!!
BBaggins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let's recap..Shining..Jack Torrence has a drinking problem and is also a pessimist...he thinks that the world is against him..so when X wants to turn Jack again to drinks to dominate him, it isn't very hard. You see, Jack has a massive chip on his shoulder. You can get this from the way he automatically thinks his friend who got him the job will help him and misbehaves with Jack's boss. He forgets that he is not a professor but a caretaker-i.e. he has come down in life.
In Stevenson's book, Jekyll finds out the potion's strange powers when he tries it out. And it may be so that he is fascinated by the process.. he likes being Hyde subconsciously..letting out all the negativity inside him. Thus, He starts becoming Hyde by his own will and reverting back. He has the antidote and so, thinks he is safe. Unfortunately, a chemical he had used was adulterated to some extent and he cannot get that unadulterated chemical again mixed with the right impurity to the right extent, which is an impossible task.
Yes, I won't say immortality but a thrill of being a bad boy leads to the downfall of both.
I know I didn't say so previously. But this connection came to my mind just now. Jack is not fascinated..he drinks from the ghosts as he wants to get his own back on the world.So, to some extent, you can say so...I guess!! Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (8)
18.6%
No one else does (17)
39.53%
I'm embarrassed about my background (4)
9.3%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (12)
27.91%
We don't use a video platform (1)
2.33%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.33%

Watched Threads