RebeccaPro
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I'd like a little advice on how to conduct my dissertation... Through my study I am aiming to determine a causal relationship between autonomy(motivation) and self-esteem. For that I thought I would need to conduct a longitudinal study . In the first study would analyse the extent to which autonomy predicts SE, and how SE predicts autonomy in the second one. The sample of participants should remain unchanged in the second one. My question is.... how exactly am I going to do this? What questionnaires do i use ? Is it ok if first I test how autonomy predicts the three types of SE(Implicit, Explicit and Defensive) ? What about the second study? Thank you in advance.
Daniellecorni5h
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RebeccaPro)
Hi! I'd like a little advice on how to conduct my dissertation... Through my study I am aiming to determine a causal relationship between autonomy(motivation) and self-esteem. For that I thought I would need to conduct a longitudinal study . In the first study would analyse the extent to which autonomy predicts SE, and how SE predicts autonomy in the second one. The sample of participants should remain unchanged in the second one. My question is.... how exactly am I going to do this? What questionnaires do i use ? Is it ok if first I test how autonomy predicts the three types of SE(Implicit, Explicit and Defensive) ? What about the second study? Thank you in advance.
Do you have justification for doing a longitudinal study? An alternative idea might be to manipulate the participants' feelings of motivation/autonomy experimentally and then measure their self-esteem. So you'd have a low motivation and a high motivation group and look to see if their SEs differed. Disclaimer: I have no idea if there's a standard way of manipulating motivation, it's just an idea I had.
_Sinnie_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RebeccaPro)
If I am understanding you correctly then I think your idea will establish a correlation between the two and not causation.

If you want to know if people with high motivation have higher or lower self esteem than those with low motivation, then you need a measure of motivation and a measure of self esteem, adminster to a big group of people, run a factor analysis and take a look.

If you want to see if someone has different levels of self esteem depending on their motivation (i.e. that having more motivation causes a change in self esteem), then you have to do as Danielle suggested; manipulate the level of motivation in a controlled way and measure their self esteem. This will help establish causation.

You could ask participants to complete really complex logic puzzles which you (as the experimentor) mark in front of them as they go. In one group, you offer no incentive at all (low motivation) and in another you offer £1 for each correct answer (high motivation). Before, during (?) and after you assess their self esteem. Or something like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (268)
42.41%
The paper was reasonable (260)
41.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (57)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.44%

Watched Threads