The Student Room Group

Aston Vs Nottingham and other Universities

So I am currently studying at Aston University on a Foundation Year with Physical Sciences and Engineering. I have the option of staying on, progressing onto my chosen course, either Mech or Chemical, or I can transfer university at the end of the acedemic year and go to Nottingham or another highly regarded university with a good engineering course.

I hear that Aston is one of the best places to go if you want a job in your chosen career, as it is a highly practical course and employers like that. Other places like nottingham are more theorectial, I think, and not as attractive to employers. I like it here, but it just seems boring. The societies aren't all that great and there really aren't many that are all that appealing. Along with that, the only recreation is going to the pub with friends or clubbing. There seems nowt else on.

TL;DR
I'm thinking about going to another university such as nottingham as it is bigger and there would be more going on and also because it has a very good engineering department. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do.

Many thanks, James
I know I am not in your situation or anything similar but at the end of the day practical degrees such as yours are the same in every uni because the government legislate what the unis have to teach. So the only difference between your uni and another is who teaches better for you and thats only determined by your exam result. If you feel comfortable at aston then stay there. Also its boring now because you have free time but in your next year you will have so much work that you wont have time for boring societies as you will be working. So just try survive year 1 and you will love it. Hope this helps
Original post by Kingbaldy123
So I am currently studying at Aston University on a Foundation Year with Physical Sciences and Engineering. I have the option of staying on, progressing onto my chosen course, either Mech or Chemical, or I can transfer university at the end of the acedemic year and go to Nottingham or another highly regarded university with a good engineering course.

I hear that Aston is one of the best places to go if you want a job in your chosen career, as it is a highly practical course and employers like that. Other places like nottingham are more theorectial, I think, and not as attractive to employers. I like it here, but it just seems boring. The societies aren't all that great and there really aren't many that are all that appealing. Along with that, the only recreation is going to the pub with friends or clubbing. There seems nowt else on.

TL;DR
I'm thinking about going to another university such as nottingham as it is bigger and there would be more going on and also because it has a very good engineering department. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do.

Many thanks, James

I find aston quite pretentious if im honest. Many locals boast about how it has a respectable business and engeneering rep, however outside of birmingham/west midlands ive never heard anyone mention a thing about aston.
It might have links to the industry locally but i think in terms of perharps moving outside of birmingham, going to a rg like nottingham will be better for you. Possibbly better links to the industry around the country and possibly globally...bigger and better department etc...and highly respected egeneering course....but do some research, i might be wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending