The Student Room Group

Is anyone else a teenage alcoholic?

Because I am, and have been since the age of 14. It's no fun. People often don't believe me because I'm so young. I'm a drug addict too, but people have no trouble believing that. It's kind of weird.
Reply 1
I think it is perfectly possible to be addicted to alcohol as a teenager, despite the image people have of alcoholics as old 'lushes' that wait outside Wetherspoons and get downing pints from 8am.

Admitting the issue is a first step. If you want to change it, there is plenty of help out there and you will be believed!
I'm not medically deemed an alcohol addict but I do struggle with drink. Since being 18 (I did drink prior) I think I've probably gone less than 7 days in the whole 6 years without having a drink. I don't down 10 pints, 14 vodkas and 10 shots daily but its an everyday thing. I get a lot worse when I'm struggling mentally to the point where I took an overdose when I was 19 due to being so intoxicated I thought it was the right thing to do.
It's admirable that you're admitting to your addiction now, and the next step forward is to find the relevant help that'll help to tame this addiction.

Stay strong! :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not medically deemed an alcohol addict but I do struggle with drink. Since being 18 (I did drink prior) I think I've probably gone less than 7 days in the whole 6 years without having a drink. I don't down 10 pints, 14 vodkas and 10 shots daily but its an everyday thing. I get a lot worse when I'm struggling mentally to the point where I took an overdose when I was 19 due to being so intoxicated I thought it was the right thing to do.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you told anyone how you feel? The people around me noticed my drinking habits but didn't really do much about it because they figured it was just me having fun, rebelling or 'experimenting' with booze due to my age, but once I opened up to my mum it all suddenly became easier. She helped me deal with it. I hope you're able to talk to someone.
Original post by tylerdaniel
Because I am, and have been since the age of 14. It's no fun. People often don't believe me because I'm so young. I'm a drug addict too, but people have no trouble believing that. It's kind of weird.

How much do you drink p/day or p/week?
Can I ask how you got to a point of sobriety? I have struggled with drink in the past (I don't like to place labels like alcoholic as they carry a lot of stigma in my opinion), and I've found it hard to stay off it completely. I found AA difficult as I felt too young and I found that the community drug and alcohol teams weren't much use other than suggesting how to deal with some of the withdrawals. I had a bit of a relapse/blip recently after some stress at home and work where I started using everyday again. Seemed to have got it back under control again but was scary how quickly it unraveled again. But yeah, how did you do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by DwayneBrooklyn
How much do you drink p/day or p/week?

Nothing - I've been clean for a while now.
Reply 8
Original post by bullettheory
Can I ask how you got to a point of sobriety? I have struggled with drink in the past (I don't like to place labels like alcoholic as they carry a lot of stigma in my opinion), and I've found it hard to stay off it completely. I found AA difficult as I felt too young and I found that the community drug and alcohol teams weren't much use other than suggesting how to deal with some of the withdrawals. I had a bit of a relapse/blip recently after some stress at home and work where I started using everyday again. Seemed to have got it back under control again but was scary how quickly it unraveled again. But yeah, how did you do it?

Yeah, the help available specifically to teenagers struggling with addiction is next to useless, and I had the same problem with AA as it feels really geared towards adults. I was 'lucky' (if you want to call it that) as I was already seeing a therapist who I trusted and who was able to help me deal with a lot of the issues and root causes of my addiction, but had I not had her I don't think I would have been able to get through it. She also senses when I am about to relapse and informs my mum (as I've requested) and we schedule daily sessions. Unless you already have a therapist, this probably isn't much help, but something else you could do is warn those closest to you of the telltale signs of a relapse, if you are aware of them. Hope everything gets better for you.
I'm an alcoholic, been sober 6 months now. It keeps on getting better.
Original post by JamesManc
I'm an alcoholic, been sober 6 months now. It keeps on getting better.

Well done my friend!

Quick Reply

Latest