What would you do in my situation?

Watch
nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have autism, social phobia, schizophrenia and depression.

I find it hard to work. Threads on here about benefits and people's views against them scare me.

I can claim benefits now.

Would you just try to enjoy life on benefits? I hate working and pretty much can't because of my disabilities.

I worked unpaid for a year to try to get a job.

Doesn't everyone just enjoy life in the first world, essentially, whether in or out of work?
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't listen to the bigots who say all benefits should be cut. If you genuinely can't work properly due to your disability then claim them.
nohomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Don't listen to the bigots who say all benefits should be cut. If you genuinely can't work properly due to your disability then claim them.
Thanks I am struggling right now. I've got some stuff lined up with an autism OT so hopefully they'll have something work-wise that'll suit me, but it's looking bleak.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can work, you just need to overcome barriers like everyone else does. No excuse.
Johann von Gauss
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nothing wrong with claiming benefits if you are actively trying to get a job.
nohomo
Rep:
?
Lol you don't even know me
enyaajohns
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)

I find it hard to work. Threads on here about benefits and people's views against them scare me.

Would you just try to enjoy life on benefits? I hate working and pretty much can't because of my disabilities.

Doesn't everyone just enjoy life in the first world, essentially, whether in or out of work?
Have you had help with your problems?
nohomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by enyaajohns)
Have you had help with your problems?
yeah it doesn't work
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you honestly feel that you couldn't keep up with employment given your conditions, it's not like you have any other choice mate. Make sure you seek help when it comes to applying as, regardless of your condition, you need to fit certain criteria in terms of not being able to do certain things.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
You can work, you just need to overcome barriers like everyone else does. No excuse.
You're speaking like you know his conditions :lol: Clueless, clearly, no offense. The guy suffers a mental disablement which likely means he'd have trouble holding down a job. Just because you can't physically see his disabilities, doesn't mean they're not going to significantly affect his ability to work.
panda14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not that simple when the "barrier" is something you will always have - learning to cope takes a long time and every person will need a diferent strategy, such are the joys of the spectrum. Its just a matter of finding the right one for you!

I'd say there's nothing to be ashamed of, support for people with disabilities is there for a reason. You are clearly very determined not to let anything stop you, so don't listen to the rubbish some people come out with about 'scroungers' or whatever - you clearly deserve everything you are entitled to.
User947387
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Disability benefits are for people with a disability. You are disabled ergo, you are entitled to the benefits. I know this may seem super patronising and it probably is, but it is not intended at you; merely stating it clearly and simply for all the bigots and morons who assume we are subhuman scum for having the audacity to have an illness beyond our control.
User947387
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May I ask where you got your medical degree from?
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
maybe rather than work become an online trader you sit at home buy stuff sell stuff i know people who have made £100,000 a year doing this
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by apronedsamurai)
May I ask where you got your medical degree from?
And access to all his medical notes?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.runningforautism.com/2014...-is-no-excuse/ Tough luck. And that's coming from someone on the spectrum who is aware of his surroundings and doesn't live on another planet.

Want more? Here: http://www.stuartduncan.name/autism/...er-to-succeed/
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.runningforautism.com/2014...-is-no-excuse/ Tough luck. And that's coming from someone on the spectrum who is aware of his surroundings and doesn't live on another planet.
Then you'd known is a spectrum and everyone's different. One of the reasons I can't work is due to my autism, amongst other things.
User947387
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Want more? Here: http://www.stuartduncan.name/autism/...er-to-succeed/
Under regulation 29 of the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations those who fail to achieve 15 points from Schedule 2, must still be treated as having limited capability for work (“LCW”) if they suffer from some specific bodily or mental disablement which means there would be a substantial risk to their health, or the health of another person, if they were found not to have LCW

Your one size fits all mentality is worrisome, offensive and so far out of touch of reality that it is frightening.

The above quote is the law so even though technically a person may fail a benefit assessment, there can be extenuating circumstances where they can still be given an award. All mentally ill people are on another planet?

We need to be. With people like you, why on earth would want to have any temporal association with you?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You make it sound so easy. It really isn't. And then there's the fact that some issues really aren't acceptable in a workplace.
thevamps99xo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm 16 years old, I have autism and I did have a part time job, but I left after one shift (stupid, I know). My mum gets benefits for me as I have a disability, she doesn't work but it helps buy food and other stuff until my dad gets paid. Don't be ashamed of claiming benefits. As long as you're happy then that's all that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
DomiNateTricks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't 'Overcome' a mental Illness, only get help. Until OP gets significant help then no he shouldn't have to work. You can't say he has no excuse as these Mental Illnesses are obviously making him unable to work, until you've been in this position yourself you will not understand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed