The Student Room Group

"trial by ambush" as a defence tactic??

Hi can anybody help me with what 'trial by ambush' actually means as i cannot find any relevant info about it on the internet and i got to page 9 of google. How did it used to be used as a defence tactic? and why it is no longer used? and relevant websites/journals would be useful. please somebody help I'm desperate. thank you
Reply 1
Original post by jenni2010
Hi can anybody help me with what 'trial by ambush' actually means as i cannot find any relevant info about it on the internet and i got to page 9 of google. How did it used to be used as a defence tactic? and why it is no longer used? and relevant websites/journals would be useful. please somebody help I'm desperate. thank you

You're probably thinking of an ambush defence, amirite?
Reply 2
possibly, i have no idea :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by jenni2010
possibly, i have no idea :frown:

Well an 'ambush defence' kinda fits.

These are born from the situation when the defence brings forward evidence that has not been given to the prosecution prior to the trial, leaving them unable to rebut said evidence.

The reason that they don't occur nowadays is due to tighter regulations on providing the opposition with all available evidence, such as witness statements, reports etc. which means that evidence provided in an 'ambush' situation may not be considered valid under the rules of the court.

Quick Reply